Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:55:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Hands On] Bitmain AntMiner S5+ - Notlist3d  (Read 14023 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 01:10:49 PM

The s5+ i got had zero dust in it. I was suprised it was so damn cleanlol

1 thing to note about the warranty is (and i noticed it only when they emailed me the doc the day the miner was set to be delivered):

"3. In some cases, the warranty will be void, but Bitmain can still do repairs at your own expense if requested. The following events will void the warranty:
     a. Customer removes/replaces any components by himself without receiving permission from Bitmain first;
     b. Damage caused by electrical surges, lightning, or inadequate power supply;
     c. Burnt parts on hash boards or chips;
     d. Miner/boards/components damage due to water immersion or corrosion due to wet environment."

Look at letter "c" in the above reasons to void the warranty. "C" shouldnt ever be listed with a miner because when a miner fails it rarely does so without leaving some char mark on and or around the component that failed. Things like chips and smd caps tend to bubble and darken the surrounding areas so by putting this in the "reasons for warranties being void" section makes the warranty pretty much pointless. Ontop of that opening the miner can void the warranty too so just trying to look at the non working board/boards can get u a big old "warranty voided" sticker slapped on ur super expensive purchase. Kinda sucks that they gave me this info only after i made my purchase so i couldnt decide beforehand. Maybe i missed this info when i read the description of the miner.

S5+ not working  hashboard

Click to enlarge

Is the hashing board on a C1 part?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 07:11:04 PM

Is the hashing board on a C1 part?

Yes. It is on the top of the C1 water block just for the size comparison.
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 11:46:01 PM

Have you experienced loss of power where the miner then starts back up after the power comes back on. Just wondering if its a problem with the hash boards and and controller all coming back online at the same time? The S7 has the same sequence of powering the hash boards then the controller and wonder what will happen when I power my S7 with 2 PSU's and experience a power outage and it comes back on?
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 12:49:14 AM

Have you experienced loss of power where the miner then starts back up after the power comes back on. Just wondering if its a problem with the hash boards and and controller all coming back online at the same time? The S7 has the same sequence of powering the hash boards then the controller and wonder what will happen when I power my S7 with 2 PSU's and experience a power outage and it comes back on?

Have had loss of power, loss of network.  It has had no issues with either.  Both caused by a really bad storm luckily only once.

I did go out and turn off the power during the storm so it did not have surges or anything, so I guess it did not have a hard restart.  But network it did fine on.   Power I was a little over protective.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 04:41:53 PM

If anyone is able to get a picture of S7 and S5+ side by side for this thread I would appreciate it!
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 10:43:14 AM

Another  not working S5+  hashboard from my DOA arrived miner with broken FAN.
This time it was from  the other side of miner, not from with broken Fan cube.

Pictured is to see that it is completed witg hashboards from different batches.

Click to enlarge

I sent it to China on Friday,  57 EUR postage with EMS.

As you can see, at least one radiator is broken off during transport.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 12:50:40 PM

Another  not working S5+  hashboard from my DOA arrived miner with broken FAN.
This time it was from  the other side of miner, not from with broken Fan cube.

Pictured is to see that it is completed witg hashboards from different batches.

Click to enlarge

I sent it to China on Friday,  57 EUR postage with EMS.

Thanks for sharing it is a little odd they would have different versions of the hashing boards.  Were the hashing boards in the module the same?  Or did they put a mix in the same module even?

Thanks again for sharing!
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 01:39:58 PM

Thanks for sharing it is a little odd they would have different versions of the hashing boards.  Were the hashing boards in the module the same?  Or did they put a mix in the same module even?

I think  that the last of my S5+  had put together with spare parts and  repaired already before shipping to me.
Total three different set of blades in one miner? It's not normally possible.

And why he came to the old iron sheet housing, not aluminum housing, as
the other two S5+ miners shipped before?
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 08:29:29 PM

I think  that the last of my S5+  had put together with spare parts and  repaired already before shipping to me.
Total three different set of blades in one miner? It's not normally possible.

And why he came to the old iron sheet housing, not aluminum housing, as
the other two S5+ miners shipped before?

Does sounds like that one had a harder life then the rest before you got it.  I am surprised they shipped with the way it sounds like that module was.

I wish we could see stats.  We now know it was to get rid stock of chips, and this miner did that very well for them.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 07:28:55 PM

Here is showing an S5+ when it works properly.  Here is after 14 day's of solid running no issues all chips and boards look good:

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 04:56:18 PM

Here is showing an S5+ when it works properly.  Here is after 14 day's of solid running no issues all chips and boards look good:

There seem to be a software bug in the calculation of hardware errors? Probably not too big of an issue at those clocks but still.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 05:08:54 PM

There seem to be a software bug in the calculation of hardware errors? Probably not too big of an issue at those clocks but still.

It is hashing fine as far as pool side so I'm not worried on it.  I'm sure there is some error in calculation part of it could be with it running so long, I think most miners don't make it to the 15 day mark without a restart or something to reset clock.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 05:59:27 PM

Click to enlarge

It looks like two heat sinks broke off before it got to you.  Were they loose inside when you opened it up, or did they forget to put them on?
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 01:49:36 PM

I received today a parcel from China .

Inside were two blades from  S5 +

Click to enlarge
View the last image. One of the radiator is already off.

Of course, they did not send me a new FAN to replace the damaged fan...
Shitmain Chinese warranty in all its glory.

I decided not to buy any more S7.

I have already sent back to China 3 x S5+ hashing boards.
Shipping  costs total over 120 euro.

S7 has the same miserable Design as  S5+.
And it is really a poor thermo adhesive clue , which they used for S5+.  You also can not put a new and better clue themselves.
You can not just remove  the old glue.

If something happens to one of the S7 blades, you have to send back to China at the own  expense  over half a kilo radiators.

notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 03:31:37 PM

I received today a parcel from China .

Inside were two blades from  S5 +

Click to enlarge
View the last image. One of the radiator is already off.

Of course, they did not send me a new FAN to replace the damaged fan...
Shitmain Chinese warranty in all its glory.

I decided not to buy any more S7.

I have already sent back to China 3 x S5+ hashing boards.
Shipping  costs total over 120 euro.

S7 has the same miserable Design as  S5+.
And it is really a poor thermo adhesive clue , which they used for S5+.  You also can not put a new and better clue themselves.
You can not just remove  the old glue.

If something happens to one of the S7 blades, you have to send back to China at the own  expense  over half a kilo radiators.

I'm disappointed with the heatsink falling off.  I was hoping they would treat them like gold with RMA and get you perfect boards.

Was one heatsink all that fell off? Or did others seem loose?
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 05:45:58 PM

I'm disappointed with the heatsink falling off.  I was hoping they would treat them like gold with RMA and get you perfect boards.

I put with a akasa thermal adhesive tape  a second radiator from BFL Single 25GH/s , and it seems that everything is working.

But I'm also disappointed. I noticed the missing radiator only when I started to put blades in the place .

I found the missing radiator in bubble wrap.
It seems that this time it is used thermal adhesive tape, not glue.

But I'm sure it's not a good design. Poor material for bonding the radiators, and more are not needed. Radiators fall like  apples from the apple tree.  Chinese autumn. Radiators  were ready for picking.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 05:55:42 PM

I put with a akasa thermal adhesive tape  a second radiator from BFL Single 25GH/s , and it seems that everything is working.

But I'm also disappointed. I noticed the missing radiator only when I started to put blades in the place .

I found the missing radiator in bubble wrap.
It seems that this time it is used thermal adhesive tape, not glue.

But I'm sure it's not a good design. Poor material for bonding the radiators, and more are not needed. Radiators fall like  apples from the apple tree.  Chinese autumn. Radiators  were ready for picking.

I'm happy they decided to use them though.  On the regular S5 they went back and forth on if units had heatsinks.   So I think loose is better then none.

But it does seem they need to choose another adhesive for shipment to customers.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 08:44:26 PM

And 20 day's up.  If you get a good one it really is a good miner, in my case I have not had to touch it's settings in over 20 day's it keeps on a hashing.

It does show a neg hardware which I still find interesting after it being pointed out.  Makes me wonder if it's equation is off.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 07:23:36 PM

Well my power went off from power company (something to do with upgrading line).   My miner made it to almost 25 day's running with no issues.

I really still say it's a solid miner.  Sadly my test of seeing how long it could run without issue power company stopped that.  And I think they are doing it once more this weekend.    Good news S5+ had no issue with power off and came up back fine.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 06:08:02 AM

I still am having good luck with my unit.  It has been a week since I lost power for electric company upgrade.  And unit has ran solid ever since then:

Very low amount of hardware error's.  And over a weeks worth of mining.  The interesting thing is no longer does HW errors show a neg number which was impossible.  So maybe it was just a glitch that once or it could have been from running 20+ days without issue.  Guess we will see depending on what this hw error shows in a week or two.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: