Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:23:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Has there been any discussion of setting up a bitcoin exchange in Cuba?  (Read 2874 times)
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:32:26 PM

this is a gr8 idea
cube is a tourism hot spot
I would love to be able to go to cube for vacation and convert BTC for their local currency
maybe this is where bitcoin ATM could make a big impact.

Cuba is a great vacation hotspot? Are you a direct descendent of Ernest Hemingway?

Here's what happened when I went to Cuba.

On Entry – I had to get a license or permit from the Ministry of Informatics and Communications for my GPS. Which I was denied so they kept it. I had to fill out a form letting them know about any other electronics I was bringing into the country. I did and they took my  cell phone and my laptop away telling me that I could reclaim them upon departure but when I returned they had lost them and I was shit outa luck.

Here is a short list of other things you are not allowed to bring to Cuba without a permit (which you won't get): wireless fax equipment; telephone boards; data-net devices; wireless telephones except those operating in 40 – 49 MHz, 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz bands; radio transmitters; radio transceivers, including walkie-talkie; professional radio receiver; land earth stations and satellite communications terminals, international wireless equipment, parabolic antennas and satellite phones and this is not a complete list!

Ok, thanks for this. I was going to get a smart phone to check bitcoin while I was over there, but I think I'll shelve that idea.

When did you go?

In 2010 we stayed in Varadero for two weeks. It's not a very far drive (like 1 1/2 hrs) to Havana and very beautiful. The people are real nice but the government is fucked. I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell of there being enough infrastructure for Bitcoin for a long time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:45:54 PM

this is a gr8 idea
I would love to be able to go to cube for vacation and convert BTC for their local currency

Cuba is a great vacation hotspot? Are you a direct descendent of Ernest Hemingway?

On Entry – I had to get a license or permit from the Ministry of Informatics and Communications for my GPS. Which I was denied so they kept it. I had to fill out a form letting them know about any other electronics I was bringing into the country. I did and they took my  cell phone and my laptop away telling me that I could reclaim them upon departure but when I returned they had lost them and I was shit outa luck.

Here is a short list of other things you are not allowed to bring to Cuba without a permit (which you won't get): wireless fax equipment; telephone boards; data-net devices; wireless telephones except those operating in 40 – 49 MHz, 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz bands; radio transmitters; radio transceivers, including walkie-talkie; professional radio receiver; land earth stations and satellite communications terminals, international wireless equipment, parabolic antennas and satellite phones and this is not a complete list!

I must confess that - agree or disagree - I can usually find some points of congruency with reality in your posts, QuestionAuthority.

But this one is truly, truly beyond my meager ability to understand.  I can't even find a frame of reference.

You actually - I mean no... really? - tried to take a GPS into Cuba?

Cuba?  The hottest of all hotbeds for intelligence trickery in the past half century?  The focus of assassination plotting in the entire western hemisphere?  The divertissment of every North American government?  One of the top three least trusted and least trusting governments on earth?

You really tried to take one of the most important pieces of a modern-day spy's basic equipment into Cuba?  And without even trying to explain it or arrange for it beforehand?

And you have the stones to complain that your vacation didn't go perfectly?

You're lucky to be free and alive.

WTF?

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 12:10:45 AM

this is a gr8 idea

I must confess that - agree or disagree - I can usually find some points of congruency with reality in your posts, QuestionAuthority.

But this one is truly, truly beyond my meager ability to understand.  I can't even find a frame of reference.

Cuba?  The hottest of all hotbeds for intelligence trickery in the past half century?  The focus of assassination plotting in the entire western hemisphere?  The divertissment of every North American government?  One of the top three least trusted and least trusting governments on earth?

You really tried to take one of the most important pieces of a modern-day spy's basic equipment into Cuba?  And without even trying to explain it or arrange for it beforehand?

WTF?

Yeah I know. I didn't actually mean to take it. We weren't even renting a car. The Tomtom was in my bag from another trip and because of my laziness I lost it.

BTC Books

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 12:18:18 AM

this is a gr8 idea

WTF?

Yeah I know. I didn't actually mean to take it. We weren't even renting a car. The Tomtom was in my bag from another trip and because of my laziness I lost it.

Mmmph.  Well said.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:25:16 AM

Palestine, North Korea, and Cuba. Hate never dies. Maybe Bitcoin will heal the world.

What about Israel building houses on Palestinian land? Or the USA bombing half a dozen countries around the world?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:28:38 AM

Palestine, North Korea, and Cuba. Hate never dies. Maybe Bitcoin will heal the world.

What about Israel building houses on Palestinian land? Or the USA bombing half a dozen countries around the world?

Any guess what country is the only one to ever use nuclear weapons on a civilian population?

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:15:55 AM

I think we can have that arranged just gotta convince them of its usefulness
PPS: Cuba is a great vacation spot except for Americans who watch Fox News Network

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
BTC Books

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:28:38 AM

I think we can have that arranged just gotta convince them of its usefulness
PPS: Cuba is a great vacation spot except for Americans who watch Fox News Network

Yes, it is.  Although it's been a long time...

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:36:04 AM

Maybe Bitcoin can't stop those from happening, but the money used to fund those behaviors can be stopped.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1031

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 06:12:12 PM

I've written about my trip to Cuba in Mid 2013 here, including how there is now a physical Casascius 1BTC somewhere on the island:

http://www.metalair.org/the-first-bitcoin-in-cuba/
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: