Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:45:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the Bitcoin Foundation seek the taxability of bitcoins?  (Read 3965 times)
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 11:45:23 AM

Imagine that everyone uses only Bitcoin, no conversion to fiat and back. Is it possible to catch tax evaders in such a situation?

It probably is but it wouldn't be easy.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 12:47:59 PM

Regardless of how you earn money, you pay taxes on it. If you get paid in chickens, you pay taxes...

+1

It will only take a tax office a rather short amount of time to come up with a way to tax you. People seem to think that Bitcoin means we can get away without paying taxes, only because it seems to circumvent the traceability of money. In reality the government has unlimited power and creativity with which to tax. They would just come up with something else to get their revenue.

Might be as simple as taxing your connection to the internet, through which you run bitcoin. Or the electronic device you run Bitcoin on.

more or less retired.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 01:09:28 PM

Might be as simple as taxing your connection to the internet, through which you run bitcoin. Or the electronic device you run Bitcoin on.

Those are already taxed! (So essentially, you're right.)

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 01:24:42 PM

I'm just going to say this a few more times on these forums, because I'm sick of repeating myself.  And, frankly, I'm beginning to think that most of you are completely incapable of complex systems analysis.

If you pay taxes on Bitcoin transactions, you will relegate Bitcoin to the dustbin of history.

It has nothing to do with what you think is legal or illegal, or whether you enjoy paying taxes or not.  It's a simple, mathematical fact.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 08:20:24 PM

Regardless of how you earn money, you pay taxes on it. If you get paid in chickens, you pay taxes...

+1

It will only take a tax office a rather short amount of time to come up with a way to tax you. People seem to think that Bitcoin means we can get away without paying taxes, only because it seems to circumvent the traceability of money. In reality the government has unlimited power and creativity with which to tax. They would just come up with something else to get their revenue.

Moving towards simpler consumption taxes and away from 4 gazillion pages of income tax regulations might one of the nicer side effects of widespread Bitcoin adoption.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 08:26:29 PM

I'm just going to say this a few more times on these forums, because I'm sick of repeating myself.  And, frankly, I'm beginning to think that most of you are completely incapable of complex systems analysis.

If you pay taxes on Bitcoin transactions, you will relegate Bitcoin to the dustbin of history.

It has nothing to do with what you think is legal or illegal, or whether you enjoy paying taxes or not.  It's a simple, mathematical fact.
Let's suppose for a moment you are a US citizen and you made a non-trivial sum of money in Bitcoin.  Did/would you report it as income to the IRS? They're not exactly nice about tax evasion...

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: