Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:39:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the Bitcoin Foundation seek the taxability of bitcoins?  (Read 3961 times)
pretendo (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 06:02:06 AM

Because I believe they seek mainstreaming and legitimization, but I do not know much.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:02:15 PM

^^ 
This is a good question.
deadserious

Activity: 121
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:09:42 PM

Bitcoins aren't taxable now?  Surely you jest...
klaus
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:10:28 PM

sorry saying this, but i hope so!

There's no other way out of the underground. I know very much want to stay underground.

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:11:58 PM

There isn't anything that the bitcoin foundation can do about it. If bitcoin became a powerful force, or cryptocurrencies in general, it would probably encourage governments to bring in taxes via sales tax rather than income tax.

phantastisch
Legendary

Activity: 2270
Merit: 1363

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:14:42 PM

There's no other way out of the underground. I know very much want to stay underground.

This. If we want Bitcoin to succeed and not to vanish we need to work on its acceptance. This will include taxes even if most of the people here are seeking a secure tax heaven (and a New World Order).

HOWEYCOINS   ▮      Excitement and         ⭐  ● TWITTER  ● FACEBOOK   ⭐       
  ▮    guaranteed returns                 ●TELEGRAM                         
  ▮  of the travel industry
    ⭐  ●Ann Thread ●Instagram   ⭐ 
✅    U.S.Sec    ➡️
✅  approved!  ➡️
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:16:33 PM

There isn't anything that the bitcoin foundation can do about it. If bitcoin became a powerful force, or cryptocurrencies in general, it would probably encourage governments to bring in taxes via sales tax rather than income tax.

what, they going to search every piece of mail to make sure it is not part of a transaction?  What kind of world are we building?

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Saturn7

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:20:09 PM

Bitcoins can be treated legally as shares of a company.
All the tax framework for dealing with shares are already in place.

First there was Fire, then Electricity, and now Bitcoins Wink
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 02:00:27 PM

It is unlikely that merely because there is no explicit classification of Bitcoin it would mean it's untaxed. The question is how exactly to tax it. See Trace Mayer (sunnankar) and Bill Rounds' ebook on taxation of Bitcoin. In Europe it is very similar (but there are some differences). In principle all income you obtain is taxable unless specifically excluded. There are some countries that do not tax foreign profits, some do not tax dividends, for example.
Etlase2

Activity: 798

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 02:01:55 PM

what, they going to search every piece of mail to make sure it is not part of a transaction?  What kind of world are we building?

Are you under the impression that most commerce is done by mail? What does this have to do with sales tax?

wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 02:28:59 PM

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. IMHO it's like asking about the taxability of cash or Paypal. If a business sells something then it usually has to pay taxes for that sale, no matter what kind of payment the deal was settled in. Just because a transaction was done in a way that leaves no inherent paper trail (i.e. cash) doesn't change anything regarding the taxability.

Are you asking if the foundation is trying to get a ruling about Bitcoin's legal nature (i.e. currency vs. commodity) or are you talking about whether they are trying to legally tie Bitcoin transactions to taxable identities? The first one is very much needed in my opinion although there seems to be little doubt about it being eventually classified as a currency. The second thing on the other hand is simply futile because there is simply no sane way to do that reliably with a decentralized crypto-currency like Bitcoin.

Please, someone enlighten me where people seem to see a problem here.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Nemesis

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 03:36:00 PM

what, they going to search every piece of mail to make sure it is not part of a transaction?  What kind of world are we building?

dumbass, what does sale tax mean to you?

chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 03:54:28 PM

This. If we want Bitcoin to succeed and not to vanish we need to work on its acceptance. This will include taxes even if most of the people here are seeking a secure tax heaven (and a New World Order).

There are no taxes for gold in many countries, why should Bitcoin be treated differently?

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 04:01:40 PM

Exactly. Income tax are disgusting violation of financial privacy.

sharky112065

Activity: 383

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 04:06:31 PM

I hope not.

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
deadserious

Activity: 121
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 04:14:54 PM

There are no taxes for gold in many countries, why should Bitcoin be treated differently?

There is in the USA.

Is Bitcoin is a currency or a commodity?  The answer only mildly changes how things might be taxed, but there will always be government around trying to abscond with their vig.
The_Duke

Activity: 252

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 04:44:34 PM

Who cares what the TBF seeks or doesn't seek. Do YOU seek taxability of bitcoins?

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 05:22:28 PM

I think people need to separate the issue of whether or not Taxation is a just and moral thing, and what is being built with Bitcoin. As far as I understand it (and correct me if wrong) it wasn't a solution to avoiding taxation, that just seemed to be an interpreted byproduct of unbreakable crypto which attracted a ton of anti-tax folks to the movement. But that doesn't seem to be an inherent design choice of Bitcoin.

Getting it taxed would make it legitimate a hell of a lot faster. Not that I'm pro, but playing by the rules doesn't make it any less cryptographically verifiable and enforceable contracts.

more or less retired.
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 09:58:22 PM

There is in the USA.

Is Bitcoin is a currency or a commodity?  The answer only mildly changes how things might be taxed, but there will always be government around trying to abscond with their vig.
Also, if you're not making a good faith effort to pay at least SOME tax on it, good luck explaining to the IRS that your BTC profits weren't taxable and you weren't evading taxes.  Get a good lawyer.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 10:03:50 PM

Also, if you're not making a good faith effort to pay at least SOME tax on it, good luck explaining to the IRS that your BTC profits weren't taxable and you weren't evading taxes.  Get a good lawyer.

The (evil) IRS doesn't even have to know about those profits unless you convert to fiat. And even then, why not pay into a non-US bank account? I'm not making any claims of the legality of such actions, but AFAICS the only obvious way to tax BTC profit would be at the point of conversion to US$ paid into a US bank.

In Europe, where income and sales tax levels are high or even astronomical, it isn't unusual for private individuals and merchants to do business in cash and then conveniently "forget" about the 20+% VAT due on that transaction. Surely the same could work with BTC payments, if the merchant so desires, even though this is "technically" (haha) illegal.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: