Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 11:31:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Google have been conspicuously quiet about Bitcoin for 6 years. What gives?  (Read 1808 times)
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 01:37:46 PM

Google as a corporation may have been fairly silent, but individual staff members have commented on it - including Google CEO Eric Schmidt:

“[Bitcoin] is a remarkable cryptographic achievement,” he said on a panel. “The ability to create something which is not duplicable in the digital world has enormous value.”

“The bitcoin architecture, literally the ability to have these ledgers which can’t be replicated, is an amazing advancement,” he continued. “Lot’s of people will build businesses on top of that.”

The article also quotes Jared Cohen (Google's "Director of Ideas"):

“[cryptocurrencies like bitcoin] are inevitable“.

This space intentionally left blank.
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 02:32:39 PM

Google as a corporation may have been fairly silent, but individual staff members have commented on it - including Google CEO Eric Schmidt:

“[Bitcoin] is a remarkable cryptographic achievement,” he said on a panel. “The ability to create something which is not duplicable in the digital world has enormous value.”

“The bitcoin architecture, literally the ability to have these ledgers which can’t be replicated, is an amazing advancement,” he continued. “Lot’s of people will build businesses on top of that.”

The article also quotes Jared Cohen (Google's "Director of Ideas"):

“[cryptocurrencies like bitcoin] are inevitable“.

If highly senior/influential individuals at Google said the above, it's all the more interesting the company is not directly involved, either in software development or investment. I think Google were purported to be investors in Buttercoin, which eventually dissolved for reasons I forget right now. Does anyone recall any other declared involvement of Google in Bitcoin?

Vires in numeris
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 02:37:27 PM

Google is admiring bitcoin, they said that many times. They know that cryptocurrencies are our inevitable future.
My theory: For now they are silently waiting for people to be more familiar with cryptos and for bitcoin or other alternate currencies to grow.
Later - they will either adapt bitcoin if it will grow substantially or create their own GoogleCoin - I bet they are working on it now. Maybe they already have it.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 02:37:56 PM

If highly senior/influential individuals at Google said the above, it's all the more interesting the company is not directly involved, either in software development or investment.

Agreed. My guess is that - in the context of big finance recently declaring its love for blockchain tech - Google is playing a waiting game. If it looks like a blockchain tech is taking off, it'll get involved. If such techs fail, there's The Original And Best Blockchain to fall back on.

(I hadn't heard about buttercoin - brb, off to do some learning!)

This space intentionally left blank.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: