Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:14:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why would a Core/XT Hard Fork be bad if both live on?  (Read 1260 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 11:50:15 PM

A satoshi-style system evaluates the longest valid chain.  XT bloatblocks are invalid to core so the length of this alternate chain is simply irrelevant.  Only pure pre-fork inputs on XT could form a valid UTXO on core.  There might be timing or structure considerations that I'm not aware of which would invalidate even these, but it wouldn't make much difference.

I plan on forking my coins (by mixing in some Xtaint coinbase and send to myself) then dump my XT coins.  Ideally XT would fork of with enough apperent success that the attackers would have hope and pump a bunch of money in.  That would provide some buffer for people dumping XT in a like way.  In fact there may need to be some initial artificial demand so the slump from dumpers like me won't panic the sheep.

As for mining, the coinbase reward is the same by count (absent code changes to the inflation schedule which seems unlikely...at least initially.)  If a lot of mining effort goes to one chain (say, XT) then the difficulty level on the other decreases and one mines more coins per unit effort.  Thus, the mining effort will form a ratio which roughly matches the coin's free market value.  (Or the value in markets open to those doing the mining.)  The only thing which would change this would be people who are mining to hoard their minings, or those subsidized for tactical and strategic political reasons.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 11:56:34 PM
Last edit: August 23, 2015, 12:16:46 AM by Carlton Banks

is there any last minute patch that could be done on their side to minimalize (I'm not saying eliminate) this?  I'm not encouraging or suggesting this - but I'm just looking to predict what sort of monkey wrenches could be thrown into this.  I really do think that players bigger than Mike are guiding this - and I know how they think.  These guys are in battle plan mode and I am sure that all scenarios / solutions are being discussed and considered.

I appreciate your analysis here, and I would like to offer a different view of the same phenomenon.

I suspect that these "bigger players" you refer to have been running simulations/scenarios revolving around decentralised informations systems for much longer than many would consider plausible. The concept of decentralised cryptocurrency existed in the late 1990's, and during the late 1990's, this book appeared:

https://www.amazon.in/The-Sovereign-Individual-Transition-Information/dp/0684832720&a=ffsb

One of the authors, Lord Rees-Mogg, was a former editor of the London Times, and member of the British House of Lords. It does not get much more establishment than that. In the book, electronic cash and several other revolutionary information systems are discussed in some depth. Another (far more significant) figure did something that was not as significant in the late 1990's also; economist Milton Friedman recorded a short video in which he discusses "e-cash" as he puts it.

If these sorts of influential characters were aware of the promise of these concepts so long ago, it causes me to wonder what influenced them to begin with. In the Rees-Mogg book, the overall conclusion is that governments cannot survive in their present form when the populace are armed with these sorts of technologies.

Could this all have been informed by the "bigger players" running Monte Carlo style simulations of the dynamics of decentralised technolgies? (the sort of people who could no doubt expect to rub shoulders with a Lord of the realm newspaper editor)? Even if the origin was David Chaum or the cypherpunks newsgroup, it seems to follow that big fish would show that level of interest in those sorts of concepts. I suspect that these sorts of people do not like surprises.

Imagine if you were the military commander tasked with deciding a strategy to handle the results of such simulations. If the results all come back as "anarchy", what could you recommend? My recommendation would be to start designing the most robust decentralised systems possible, because then you and yours are best placed to capitalise on the inevitable. If you can't beat them, become them.

Remember all those science fiction movies? There's no trace of any governmental entity in more or less all of them. Even when there is a government, it's often portrayed as weak or ineffective. Speculative of course, but still food for thought.

Vires in numeris
keepdoing (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 12:48:30 AM

Interesting looking read, and I may have to check out a copy.  And the counterpoint is appreciated. 

LOL - and not to start yet another divided camp - but I just have to disagree.  I think that if we were to time warp back to 1999 I can see those scenarios being valid to discuss.  The problem with the concept in my mind is that since then - we've had the last 15 years.  Globalization of things.  Globalization of money.  Increased reliance on the IMF.  Increased reliance on Federal Reserves, and this ENORMOUS pumping of the monetary supply.  Problem is that the current system Can NOT survive. 

I've used this analogy before.... it's like a big plane carrying the global community, and the engine is sputtering out of gas, the landing gear doesn't work, and millions of miles of jagged mountains below.  Only way to survive is to build a replacement plane, get it up in the air, side by side to the damaged plane and disembark passengers before it goes down.

Your argument is that the various passengers (countries/regions) all build individual planes and send them up, unloading THEIR SPECIFIC Passengers one by one.   MY argument is that they will all work together to build a single rescue ship. 

We're all tied together in this world.  Humans are soft, used to technological ease, running water, planes, trains and automobiles.  We are so entertwined that no single country can anymore survive without being connected to the overall web.

Now I do indeed think tat in the confusion their will be ATTEMPTS at other coins, more likely it will be multiple "Hubs" - but all still based on Bitcoin (XT) - the one coin to rule them all, and in the growing darkness - bind them up and deliver them to the one true "God" of the web.   The Sentient Spider that will soon wake up.

That's my prediction.  And why I almost feel sorry for all the "Powers that be" - because they are still flesh and blood after all, our human brothers of a fashion.  But the ultimate controller of things will not be human.  It is amazing how little wisdom mankind has - they foolishly build and breathe life into that which will enslave them.  Going to be bad.

If a bunch of techies can't figure out that riddle - then there is no hope for you Smiley
687_2

Activity: 173
Merit: 105

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 04:59:33 AM

I plan on forking my coins (by mixing in some Xtaint coinbase and send to myself) then dump my XT coins.  Ideally XT would fork of with enough apperent success that the attackers would have hope and pump a bunch of money in.  That would provide some buffer for people dumping XT in a like way.  In fact there may need to be some initial artificial demand so the slump from dumpers like me won't panic the sheep.

How exactly are you going to do this?

Buy the dip with the security and privacy of your own wallet: use cross chain atomic swaps to trade Bitcoin, USDT, and Ether. Trades are secured and settled on-chain. https://sibex.io
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 05:30:03 AM
Last edit: August 23, 2015, 05:46:01 AM by tvbcof

I plan on forking my coins (by mixing in some Xtaint coinbase and send to myself) then dump my XT coins.  Ideally XT would fork of with enough apperent success that the attackers would have hope and pump a bunch of money in.  That would provide some buffer for people dumping XT in a like way.  In fact there may need to be some initial artificial demand so the slump from dumpers like me won't panic the sheep.

- Run XT on some throw-away machine.  Load one of my wallets.

- Get someone to send me a transaction which contains some 'codebase' from after the first illegal block which was mined.

- Formulate some transactions which include some of this coinbase to make more tainted UTXO's (I call this 'XTaint'.)

- Formulate some transactions which include my pre-fork UTXOs and a little bit of the 'XTaint' with the recipient being myself.  This will make new UTXO's which are recognized in XT but not in Core.  Now the coins are split.

-  Take my XT coins to an exchange and hope that there is someone who wants to buy them for fiat.

- Enjoy the fruits of my efforts in fiat-land (hookers and blow perhaps) while my Core stash remains unmolested.

Normally one's wallet makes the decisions about what UTXOs to gather into a spend.  I actually don't know of any utilities which allow one to formulate their own spends from their own select UTXO's, but I imagine there are.  If not, they should not be all that difficult to cobble together.

There is actually no particular rocket science to this, and I expect that it has been thought up independently by many other people.  As I said probably six months ago, the first XTaint (which I was calling 'gavintaint' at the time) will likely be a hot commodity because of this reason.

edits: minor for clarity

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 05:32:17 AM

Two bitcoins would be very bad, we already have enough trouble gaining traction as is, imagine if we had half as many people doing that and the same number trying to pull people away to their own version?
687_2

Activity: 173
Merit: 105

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 05:44:54 AM

- Run XT on some throw-away machine.  Load one of my wallets.

- Get someone to send me a transaction which contains some 'codebase' from after the first illegal block which was mined.

- Formulate some transactions which include some of this coinbase to make more tainted UTXO's (I call this 'Xtaint'.)

- Formulate some transactions which include my pre-fork coins and a little bit of the 'Xtaint' with the recipient being myself.  This will make new UTXO's which are recognized in XT but not in Core.  Now the coins are split.

-  Take my XT coins to an exchange and hope that there is someone who wants to buy them for fiat.

- Enjoy the fruits of my efforts in fiat-land (hookers and blow perhaps) while my Core stash remains unmolested.

Normally one's wallet makes the decisions about what UTXOs to gather into a spend.  I actually don't know of any utilities which allow one to formulate their own spends from their own select UTXO's, but I imagine there are.  If not, they should not be all that difficult to cobble together.

There is actually no particular rocket science to this, and I expect that it has been thought up independently by many other people.  As I said probably six months ago, the first Xtaint (which I was calling 'gavintaint' at the time) will likely be a hot commodity because of this reason.

Have you considered automating this process and licensing the code? This is a lot of work for most people and timing is critical.

I am sure this is not the last hard fork attempt so some script that does this will be very valuable.

Buy the dip with the security and privacy of your own wallet: use cross chain atomic swaps to trade Bitcoin, USDT, and Ether. Trades are secured and settled on-chain. https://sibex.io
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 06:00:28 AM

There is actually no particular rocket science to this, and I expect that it has been thought up independently by many other people.  As I said probably six months ago, the first Xtaint (which I was calling 'gavintaint' at the time) will likely be a hot commodity because of this reason.

Have you considered automating this process and licensing the code? This is a lot of work for most people and timing is critical.

I am sure this is not the last hard fork attempt so some script that does this will be very valuable.

No.  I don't believe in licensing code like this for one.  I would certainly give it away (or licence it under BSD style which I generally prefer to GNU for most things), but I suspect that others would do the same and do a better job.  I've not done almost any coding in three years, and I never coded around Bitcoin in any but the most simplistic and high level ways (but have noticed a plethora of libraries that would probably make the task on the trivial side.)

What would be kind of useful would be some sort of a service which would evaluate a proposed spend and at least tell a guy what the forumation is.  I expect that a lot of SPV wallets will be 'updated' to formulate spends in specific strategic ways.  If the poor user had some way to find out if something were happening which might be against their best interests that would be nice.

My goal in describing the above formulation was to get some fraction of the community interested to dig a little deeper into the basic workings of Bitcoin (spends, UTXO, wallets, etc) and thus be able to recognize certain things and better protect themselves.  Those who are not lazy in developing a slightly deeper understanding of certain of these mechanics may very well be richly rewarded for their efforts.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 06:13:31 AM

The miners will decide the larger chain. The exchanges and merchants will follow the larger chain. End of story.

Wrong. The users decide the chain. Will miners mine coins on a chain with no users? A chain with no users is a coin with a $0.00 exchange rate.

SPV wallets go to the longest chain. Probably XT wallets too.

If you don't want this you'll have to stay with Core and wait for the next < 1 MB block being validated. If the Core isn't the longest chain, and > 1 MB block are frequently, this can take ages for confirmations because of the drop of the hashrate in Core.

Yes, "SPV wallets go to the longest chain" whether that chain is valid or not.  Sucks to be them!  That's why we keep saying "if you're not running a full node, you're not really (IE trustlessly) using Bitcoin."

I'm not worried about "ages for confirmations because of the drop of the hashrate in Core."  My faith in the antifragility of Bitcoin (EG, trollish might of MPEX  Wink) precludes such considerations.

Do you really think MPEX is taking a late summer vacation, ignoring all this XT drama-llama-rama, and failing to plan accordingly?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 01:51:08 PM

Two known CIA/NSA assets infiltrated in the Bitcoin community - Gavin Andresen and Mike Hearn - have joined forces to push a hastily concocted privacy nightmare/scamcoin, which they call Bitcoin-XT.

It is currently completely irrelevant, owing to an absolute lack of financial, economical, technical or social support.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

A proportion of the chain with the larger hashrate could be employed to 51% the chain with the smaller hashrate. I'm not sure anything could be done to prevent that.

Maybe i don't see it but why should miners decide to attack the other blockchain? That makes no sense business wise. Besides, a >50% attack does not make sense anyway, who should buy your fake coins? I don't know how this can be possible since you would need to use a huge amount of coins to make it worthwhile.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: