Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:51:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Long-term survival of Bitcoin  (Read 1256 times)
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 03:51:53 AM

If there are already threads about this, please feel free to point them out...

If Bitcoin remains primarily valued by miners and currency speculators, what kind of future could it possibly have? It's destined to eventually "burst" and who knows what would happen then.

Doesn't it become necessary at some point to arrange for businesses to start accepting Bitcoin directly as payment -- so people can use/receive Bitcoin without having to go through Mt. Gox, Liberty Reserve, etc. to get "real value" (currently: USD) for their Bitcoin?

I'd love to buy gas or get groceries with my Bitcoin -- unfortunately, I can't.

I remember when I first watched the video about Bitcoins, how it mentioned "Alpaca socks" as one of the things you could buy. My impression was "Wow -- even something that esoteric!" but now I realize that Alpaca socks is about the ONLY thing you can buy directly with Bitcoin  Wink

Is there a group of "evangelists" pushing Bitcoin to businesses? Are there any incentives in place for those businesses? Any how-tos, documents, or guides for how to price products in Bitcoin? For example, it is realistic to expect businesses to link the BTC value to the US Dollar, at least at first. Let's be realistic. So how can we make it easy for businesses to tie their website in to the Mt. Gox API to query the current rate, so they can do the math on their website, etc.?

Is there any good news on this front?

Thanks,

Matthew

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

June 04, 2011, 03:54:26 AM

Please keep in mind that we are only 2 years into this innovation. There are only around 20K - 50K active users. You have to give the economy time.

Anyways, one cannot simply 'evangelize' Bitcoin and get it moving by forming councils or direct intervention. No, no, no. The incentive must be innate. It must flow naturally through the demands that come about. Just give it time. Action through inaction.

FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 04:15:12 AM

Please keep in mind that we are only 2 years into this innovation. There are only around 20K - 50K active users. You have to give the economy time.

Anyways, one cannot simply 'evangelize' Bitcoin and get it moving by forming councils or direct intervention. No, no, no. The incentive must be innate. It must flow naturally through the demands that come about. Just give it time. Action through inaction.

+1  No need to rush anything.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 04:19:09 AM

Atlas --

I disagree. I think your "action through inaction" phrase sounds like new age mumbo jumbo.

And your tagline "What survives is good." is also false.

Child abuse has survived over the centuries. Is it good? So have countless diseases "survived". Should we not fight them because they are "good"?
Horace Kent

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 05:30:01 AM

I'm sorry.

I'm new.

I haven't read all the posts yet..

I don't want bitcoin to become the "new" currency.......

I want bitcoin to stay as it is.....an anonymous currency.

You want a new currency?

Great!  Organize, educate, and get involved - and most importantly...........don't be bought off by side issues to keep you with status quo.

Once we kill debt backed money......there are an infinite array of options we can't think up yet - I'm still intrigued by Bill Still....but, can't quite figure it out.

I just want my anonymous currency.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: