Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:07:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The hardfork will make Gavincoin plummet to zero  (Read 11294 times)
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 12:28:48 PM

If Gavin doesn't update the bitcoin core with a more realistic block cap size, then you can sure someone else will.

The client would likely need some additional changes ... kind of like as if starting a new altcoin that just that it accepts private keys and UTXOs at some starting point (where the fork will begin). 

Otherwise, Cryddit describes pretty well why the (existing) protocol software is very discriminating to the "losing" chain (which has less hashing power than the chain with the "most work".  The two chains just won't co-exist even if there is a certain percent of miners that will continue to mine on it:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=941331.msg10440800#msg10440800

People would do very well to read and understand that thread. It explains perfectly why there is no such thing as gavincoin, and why all of the frothing about hard forks is just so much internet drama. Thanks for (re)posting this! Information is what will kill the FUD.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
balu2

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 04:35:11 PM

homo homini was pretty bang on.

If you search google for "gavincoin" this thread is at the top of the search btw.
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 04:38:09 PM

If you search google for "gavincoin" this thread is at the top of the search btw.

bitpay, blockchain.info and okcoin will support BIP101.
well....XT seems to win...

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
balu2

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 04:45:05 PM

ya, well if the scum is gonna win get ready for really cheap coins. But i don't think so.

Also worth mentioning is how all these xt clowns on this thread gone silent since.
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 04:47:15 PM

ya, well if the scum is gonna win get ready for really cheap coins. But i don't think so.

Also worth mentioning is how all these xt clowns on this thread gone silent since.

i am not silent?

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:15:40 PM

you mean on a 6 month old thread that you necro'd. let that sink in 6 months and people still haven't come to a consensus.

probably a good job that gavin started when he did. at this rate the heat death of the universe will probably need to be take into account...

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
8up

Activity: 618

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:16:03 PM

adding some high profile names like circle, coinbase and >50% of chinese miners

unfortunately some early adoptors seem a little bit to overconfident in their circle jerk forums bitcointalk and r/bitcoin. ->self-censorship is not a good thing if you want to stay connected with reality.

the best thing that could happen to bitcoin is if some early adoptors fold their bitcoins because of ideology. the better distribution will guarantee bitcoin a fast recovery (2nd gen. early adoptors are already waiting to take their place) and further success. but before that, there could be blood in the streets. $50 and below seem possible, if sky is falling on us.

Always wrong until not.
balu2

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 05:18:35 PM

adding some high profile names like circle, coinbase and >50% of chinese miners

unfortunately some early adoptors seem a little bit to overconfident in their circle jerk forums bitcointalk and r/bitcoin. ->self-censorship is not a good thing if you want to stay connected with reality.

the best thing that could happen to bitcoin is if some early adoptors fold their bitcoins because of ideology. the better distribution will guarantee bitcoin a fast recovery (2nd gen. early adoptors are already waiting to take their place) and further success. but before that, there could be blood in the streets. $50 and below seem possible, if sky is falling on us.

lol, as if it would recover from 50$ - people aren't stupid.
BTCOFFEE

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 04:30:53 PM

Fuck sakes, if Satoshi was so smart why the hell didn't he add 20 MB by default? he would have saved us from this mess. Geeeeez.

Satoshi had no limit on block sizes at all.   From block 1 it was legal to have a 2MB, 20MB, even 33MB block.   There was a 33.5MB limit on message length and since blocks are transmitted as a single message it would have limited blocks to only 33.5MB but even this wasn't a hard limit as new message type could have been added which transmitted blocks in other ways (i.e. header & txn hashes vs full transactions).

The 1MB "limit" was added as a temporary anti-spam measure 18 months later.   There was no voting, no significant discussion, and the commit wasn't made by Satoshi.  It actually was combined with a bunch of other unrelated changes and not even well documented at the time.  There is nothing which indicates this was a core design decision that Bitcoin would perpetually be limited to 1MB.

aye i got a grand idea let's fork core immediately back to 33mb and see what happens ~ easy solution ! :-) lol
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  

Jump to: