Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:31:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is safer? Blockchain.info with 2fa or freshly wiped online comp w/ multibit  (Read 2161 times)
spacecakes (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 06:38:13 AM

OK - Sorry to start a second thread, but I feel like I won't get the answer I'm looking for in the last.

Right now I have 2 bitcoin. I have 2 options for tonight, I would prefer not to Invest anymore money into an offline computer or a trezor, as its only 2 btc. There has to be a esay and secure way to store the damn things lol.

What is better? Blockchain.info with Really long random password + 2fa

-OR-

A Asus A7 laptop that was wiped just 5 minutes ago and is currently running Linux Mint. This computer will be connected to the internet, but will only be accessing one single site per day, which is a trusted site. All other internet browsing and downloads, youtubing, or anything else will be done on my windows laptop. I'm considering running Multibit or Armory with Password protection + paper back ups.

ok - Ignoring 3rd party risk with Blockchain.info - Which is safest from being hacked between the 2?

and again, sorry for starting another thread, I was just getting way too many conflicting opinions and I'm almost more confused than I was to begin with haha.

Eventually, I will buy a Trezor or the other one for $35, but atm I just don't have enough coins to justify purchasing a Rasberry Pi or Trezor to hold a few Bitcoin.

If I never access anything but am just connected to the internet, and only visit one website, never downloaded anything, and never used the computer for anything other than bitcoin transactions, would I hypothetically be safe to store bitcoins on that wallet for longer than a year? Or am I better off with Blockchain.info for this?

I'd hate to store it with them, and then they go out of business haha, but I've always used Blockchain in the past and have nothing but good things to say.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 06:42:35 AM

I will say the laptop will be your best choice if you have proper security setup on it.

If you do not plan on using the coins in the near future you can also opt for a safe paper wallet. Just do a search here on the forum for details on how to setup a safe paper wallet.

With Multibit you will be in full control of your wallet (all private keys) as well as your security and will not be dependant on a third party.

In regards to the wallet, Armory is rock solid but it will mean that you will have to download the blockchain so I will go with MultiBit. Electrum is my personal choice though but that is because I use a Trezor with multiple accounts in my wallet and Multibit do not pickup the multiple accounts.
Enzyme

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 06:46:45 AM

Personally, I'd choose Blockchain.info. It isn't the most secure method, but it's never been hacked before (apart from a key generating bug, which was patched and all BTC was returned). No BTC is stored with them, all encryption is completed in your browser.

Your laptop is probably the safer method, because your OS can get hacked (not blockchain.info).
spacecakes (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 06:48:10 AM

Ok Nomad, Thanks bro, I appreciate that. I am leaning that direction too. I believe Multibit is probably the safest.

I know how to navigate around a computer fairly easy, I don't typically infect my computers with viruses because I am super picky about the things I click or access. I figured as long as I am super smart about what I do on the computer, even though it will be actively connected to the internet, I should be ok right?

I am downloading Multibit now andsetting up a Password protection.

Thank you sir for your help.
spacecakes (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 06:49:59 AM

Personally, I'd choose Blockchain.info. It isn't the most secure method, but it's never been hacked before (apart from a key generating bug, which was patched and all BTC was returned). No BTC is stored with them, all encryption is completed in your browser.

Your laptop is probably the safer method, because your OS can get hacked (not blockchain.info).

Interesting haha, ok, wait I am confused though I am sorry,

On the last part " Your laptop is probably the safer method, because your OS can get hacked (not blockchain.info)", are you saying that Blockchain.info is still the safer method there? or are you saying that the Laptop is safer?

Thank you, sorry.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 07:03:08 AM

Interesting haha, ok, wait I am confused though I am sorry,

On the last part " Your laptop is probably the safer method, because your OS can get hacked (not blockchain.info)", are you saying that Blockchain.info is still the safer method there? or are you saying that the Laptop is safer?

Thank you, sorry.

If someone says an online wallet is safer than a local wallet. You should ignore his opinion IMHO.

Blockchain.info is a very buggy client. You should never store Bitcoins unless you are fine if it is stolen.

RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 07:11:04 AM

This is really bad advice, if you truely believe Blockchain.info to be the safest then you need to do some serious reading on this forum.
nizamcc
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 07:20:50 AM

Trezor is fine according to me if you are to have it safe and sound all the time with you as you can use it anytime you want, and that it won't need internet to have your coins stored in it.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 08:33:16 AM

a fresh pc if you know how to do that properly.

or a hardware wallet:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=899253.0

favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 08:50:41 AM

blockchain.info is too insecure even with 2fa.

check ninkip2p - they offer multisig addresses and 2fa, which is more secure than blockchain.info. desktop + mobile wallet of course

ranochigo
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 4127

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 11:04:32 AM

I would definitely go for multbit on a computer. Desktop wallets are generally already safer than online wallet even with 2FA. Since you want to ignore the third party risk which is a central point of failure, a desktop wallet with enough security precautions can be near to be as safe as cold storage. Linux are generally safer than Windows hence it would be a great choice already. Even though multibit is a SPV client and they only verify block headers hence exposing the risk of accepting invalid blocks, blockchain.info broadcast transactions which are invalid. Given Blockchain.info's bad security track record, not only bad RNG, it occured serveral times and it shows that blockchain.info can't be bothered to even test it for vulnerabilities before releasing the update.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 01:39:34 PM

dedicated computer for you bitcoin client, without the need to install anything on it or browsing anything, is the most secure online wallet, and probably on par with an offline wallet, as long as you use it ONLY to spend your coins and nothing else
Nas

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 02:09:37 PM

Of course Multibit is safer.
Bitcoin Core > 3rd party Bitcoin clients > online wallets
As you can see, online wallets are the worst decision for storing Bitcoin.
pooya87
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 10434

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 05:46:45 PM

the best option in my opinion is creating a live linux on a USB disk and installing the bitcoin wallet of your choice there (i use electrum).
this way:
1) you have an offline wallet which you can spend from (sign offline and broadcast elsewhere)
2) you spend the lowest amount of money in making it (only the cost of a USB disk)

i used this topic as a reference: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=853288.0

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 06:31:57 PM

Of course Multibit is safer.
Bitcoin Core > 3rd party Bitcoin clients > online wallets
As you can see, online wallets are the worst decision for storing Bitcoin.

Your comparison is wrong! Bitcoin Core = Other clients in matter of safety.

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 07:20:40 PM

OK, I am the one that advised you to get a Trezor in a 1st thread, now I see and I agree with you that for 2 BTCs you shouldn't be getting a Trezor. My rule of thumb is to invest 5% of your money to protect it, so with this calculation, anybody that has 10 BTCs or more is justified to get a Trezor.

As for your current situation, I would keep a dedicated computer. That's a very safe way. Install a keyloger, even a free version is OK, get a decent anti-virus and a Multibit and you will be fine.

Stay away from online wallets including blockchain.info.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 10:12:40 PM

Private key control is the only thing that matters to keep your coins secure.

Trusting a third party with your key is not something you want to do. I'd rather go with MultiBit.

You could use Blockchain.info and export the private keys, but nothing stops them from transferring your funds using your private key before you realise it.
rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 11:17:48 PM

Good start. Fresh install of linux Mint.

If your laptop has the resources install VirtualBox. Then run another linux guest OS. Something lightweight like Peppermint or LinuxLite.  Use your guest OS just for the wallet. Vbox also gives you the option of encrypting the guest OS for extra security.

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2015, 11:22:25 PM

Trusting a third party with your key is not something you want to do. I'd rather go with MultiBit.

You could use Blockchain.info and export the private keys, but nothing stops them from transferring your funds using your private key before you realise it.

The un-sacred succulent is right. It all comes down to owning your keys and the way you store them.
Personally I dislike multibit, it has many glitches AND I would not store any notable size of coins with blockchain.info either.
I prefer COLD storage and out of the two, multibit would be the only option that offers a cold storage method.

ranochigo
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 4127

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 03:46:26 AM

OK, I am the one that advised you to get a Trezor in a 1st thread, now I see and I agree with you that for 2 BTCs you shouldn't be getting a Trezor. My rule of thumb is to invest 5% of your money to protect it, so with this calculation, anybody that has 10 BTCs or more is justified to get a Trezor.

As for your current situation, I would keep a dedicated computer. That's a very safe way. Install a keyloger, even a free version is OK, get a decent anti-virus and a Multibit and you will be fine.

Stay away from online wallets including blockchain.info.
Trezor is more or less, I would say providing the same security as a paperwallet/offline computer/dedicated one. Anti keyloggers won't protect you against all the attack methods and anti virus can't identify all the viruses.

Blockchain.info is opensourced, no unencrypted private keys are sent to the server. The decryption happens on your browser so they have no way to access your address.

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████