Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:27:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is buy and hold a good investment option with price around $230 - Aug 2015  (Read 3601 times)
rscholey (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 05:21:23 AM

Just looking for some opinions.  I know I can make 0.5% on my cash in the bank so I'm thinking to put a small percentage into buy and hold of bitcoins. 

What do people think of this as an investment holding for 6 months, 1 year or 5 years?
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lahm-44

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 05:35:33 AM

well...leaving it on banks is much safer than on bitcoins at its present situation but that's also true that banks don't pay enought intrest rate as we are getting in bitcoins.. so I will just advice invest on banks only
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 06:52:35 AM

Probably yes, because I believe that Bitcoin will increase after this and now is this limit of the price to go down.

faucet used to be profitable
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2015, 07:32:49 AM

leaving in banks doing nothing is not an option for me considering interest rate is way utterly too low. Rather than leaving it idle and doing nothing, I would probably diversify my holding to stocks and the rest into bitcoin. At least if one of it drops, there's a good chance the other will pick up.

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6088

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 07:39:09 AM

Just looking for some opinions.  I know I can make 0.5% on my cash in the bank so I'm thinking to put a small percentage into buy and hold of bitcoins. 

What do people think of this as an investment holding for 6 months, 1 year or 5 years?

If you are planning to hold for five years then this would be a good investement probably better then putting your money ini the bank , even if it's for one year it should be good since the halving block reward will happen 11 months from now , price should increase sooner or later but 5 years is a better option since there would be 2 halving blocks (the one 2016 and the other on 2020 I believe) Read this article aswell to get more info for how the halving will affect the price  : http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/03/13/how-will-2017s-block-reward-halving-affect-bitcoin-price/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Tstar
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

Decentralized Asset Management Platform

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 07:47:03 AM

I guess it will be profitable in majority of the cases ..
but you know it,anything can happen in crypto world.

███████████████████████████
████▄▀▀▀███████████████████
█████▄    ▀▀▀██████████████
██████▄▄       ▀▀▀█████████
███████▀██▄▄        ▀▀█████
████████   ▀▀▀      ▄██████
█████████▄▄       ▄████████
█████████  ▀▀   ▄██████████
██████████    ▄████████████
███████████ ▄██████████████
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄▄██████
███████████████████████████
.COOK.
     Decentralized Asset Management Platform     
│▐ █     WHITEPAPER   │   TWITTER   │   LINKEDIN   │   TELEGRAM     █ ▌│
          ▄▄███████▄▄
 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀█████▄▄
███████████████▄▄█▀██████

█████████████████████████
██▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████
██▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████████
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀███████▀███▄█
█████████████████████▀███▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
▀█████████████▀█████████▀▀▀
       ██ ▀█▀ ▄██
       ▀██▄ ▄███▀
        ▀▀████▀▀
✔  Accessible
✔  Secure
✔  Transparent
Hopalong

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 08:42:12 AM

Having a lot of money in a bank account that pay low interest is not an investment. It is just a placeholder to avoid loosing your funds.

If you have enough money to invest you should look for severl options since it is a bad idea to put all your eggs in one basket.

With bitcoin there is only one sure thing and that is that nobody know what will happen to the value. Historicaly there is very few investments in the past two years that has been worse than bitcoin but that does not tell anything about the future.
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 10:33:35 AM

Just looking for some opinions.  I know I can make 0.5% on my cash in the bank so I'm thinking to put a small percentage into buy and hold of bitcoins.  

0.5% per year? you are not even beating inflation.  Probably best to diversify buy some bitcoin/litecoin and do something else with the rest, i have most of my savings working for me in some way because i got fed up with the crappy bank rates.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 10:42:13 AM

if you plan to hold your coins for the long term, then yes. but for short term trading it still has to be seen if we'll test the $200 level once again.
MadAlpha

Activity: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 11:54:20 AM

Bitcoin will hit $500 easily next year, you are practically guaranteed to double your money if you buy now.

Will do small programming tasks cheaply in exchange for BTC. Check out my thread or PM me!
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 12:49:21 PM

Bitcoin will hit $500 easily next year, you are practically guaranteed to double your money if you buy now.

Lol. If it was that easy we wouldn't be at $230 right now. I assume you already bought a huge load of coins to sell at $500?
MUFC

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 12:55:50 PM

Price wont go much lower than this anytime soon so now is a good time to buy if you want in.

well...leaving it on banks is much safer than on bitcoins at its present situation but that's also true that banks don't pay enought intrest rate as we are getting in bitcoins.. so I will just advice invest on banks only

Is it? Depends on what country you're in. Places like Greece aren't doing so well. Because of deflation and the cost of living going up you actually lose money keeping it in a bank every year so bitcoin could be much safer. You could just sell a little b it everytime it rises then buy back when it falls if you wanted to make money that way.

Hopalong

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 12:58:25 PM

Lol. If it was that easy we wouldn't be at $230 right now. I assume you already bought a huge load of coins to sell at $500?

I would recomend trading a bit on Yobit. Seeing these types of advice in the trolbox all the time. Usually it is a bagholder trying to get a pump going so they can dump.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 01:22:51 PM

Really? After the last bubble we had it isn't unusual to go through such a long bear phase. After the bubble from $30 down to 2 cents it took the market 24 months to recover from that. The same pattern we are seing now. So no surprise to me.
After this debate and the coming halving many unexpected things can happen. Positive as also negative.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 02:15:30 PM

IMO, the supply is still outpacing the demand by a large margin. The bulk "SELL" deals in some of the exchanges, sometimes involving thousands of coins is a proof for this (during the past 2-3 months, I have noticed several of such deals in BTC-e). I believe that the exchange rate will continue to go down for at least another year.
Nextgen

Activity: 410

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 02:21:07 PM

Yes it will be better if you can hold for like months and sell when it goes up ,
or if you are speaking of like when will bitcoin reach million $ then NO.
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 02:33:32 PM

Yes hodl,
But to be honest it's a ton of fun to spend bitcoin too. So much better than boring cash! So save some and spend some. Enjoy life!
GreanT

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 02:54:13 PM

If you can hold it for a long period of time, yes. But I don't think the price will be jumping in the near future.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 03:10:58 PM

No market prediction is ever easy.  Still, I think the chances are good that Bitcoin will be significantly higher in twelve months from now because of the halving and more certainty because the blocksize debate is already starting to resolve as miners are voting.

seedtrue
Legendary

Activity: 963
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 03:38:31 PM

You should wait until the Blockstream/XT battle has finished before making any serious investment decisions. I do not think we have reached the bottom price from that situation yet. You may be able to get some coin for a lot cheaper.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: