Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 01:08:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with my s5 Temps  (Read 2006 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 01:46:41 AM

What is the safe range for temps? I am using two SP120's and getting into the 70's while testing it, decided to shut down and do some research.

70's are too high.  many get away with low 60's

I would agree if you are hitting 70's you are running it wrong.  Put factory fan on temporary to go back to normal.   Or you can shutdown like you did.

The fact honestly is the S5 was not made to be a quiet unit.  Some have modded it, but from factory they are not quiet or cool.  They run hot and loud.
chaoman (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 03:58:52 AM

how did you mess up your s5 with heat sinks? I am new to changing hardware around and I don't want to do the same thing. I thought you just simply put the heat sinks on top of the chips? How can this break the s5?
One way to damage is by the heatsinks touching other components and possibly causing a short circuit.

MAJOR POINT: Do NOT just use self-stick thermal pads/tape to attach the heatsinks!!!! Always use a thermal epoxy to make sure they stay where placed. Temperature and gravity WILL make them start sliding off which could/will cause short circuits. Been there, done that with S1's. Within 2 months many sinks had fallen off....

Dang I just bought these and am waiting for them to ship http://www.ebay.com/itm/121331886591?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So you are saying they could break my miner? good lookin out.

So I should remove the tape and go with thermal paste or thermal adhesive? sorry for being noob LOL
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 07:00:35 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261474050126?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

These just fit all the chips i didn't link it , i was hoping you would take our advice and go the safe way first . Smiley .

I'm not to sure about those never bought them . the ones you linked. never had any issue with any S1 i ever bought .

yes remove the tape, once you glue them on there there  to stay.

This is the best thermal epoxy Ive ever used http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm  there maybe better ...

Paste won't hold them on long it has to be thermal epoxy Smiley !!!

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 07:18:47 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2015, 08:25:59 AM by toptek

What is the safe range for temps? I am using two SP120's and getting into the 70's while testing it, decided to shut down and do some research.

70's are too high.  many get away with low 60's

I would agree if you are hitting 70's you are running it wrong.  Put factory fan on temporary to go back to normal.   Or you can shutdown like you did.

The fact honestly is the S5 was not made to be a quiet unit.  Some have modded it, but from factory they are not quiet or cool.  They run hot and loud.
I did, I am currently looking for a fan on amazon, trying to decide which one to go with and keep this sucker a bit quieter at least. I am leaning towards the scyth for now.
this what all my S5 use

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y1HLA8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 this one as push in the front

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A460TK6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 as pull in the back

all credit goes to philp for this idea it worked for me i never have a S5 go over 60 C at  350 speed . Smiley . my house stays at 80 or cooler all year long, in the room my miner are in it may go up to 85 degrees the hotted part of the day due to them in the summer, i live in Maryland USA,  they still sty below 60 or at 60 C  Smiley .!! and i could sleep in the same room if it  wasn't for heat, the noise level is very low .

I panic any time they get to close to 60 C .

The air is off right now in the house so that's tad warmer then i normally see it this time of nite . Smiley .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 08:32:44 AM

Under 60c for longevity, as low as you can get them for max longevity.

Have you tried mounting a folded-up blanket (or a large bathtowel etc.) between the S5 and the rest of the room to muffle the noise?

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
flikflak

Activity: 408
Merit: 259

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 03:35:51 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2015, 04:12:05 PM by flikflak

Yep, go for 2 of them and try to stay below 60°C. Afaik Bitmain recommended it so.

Whats your dB from a meter away with 2x Scythe Ultra Kaze?

Here are the results with 1m distance and an (maybe not so accurate) iPhone app:
@12V

@10.8V

@9V

Also important are temps with 25°C ambient (77F):

I got 325Mhz @ 59°C (within 2 hours) with an HP G5 Server PSU @0.55j/GHash

@250Mhz @12V

@250 @ 9V with obviously higher temps and 11.1V for the Chains hitting almost 0.486J/Ghash with an S5

An Watercooled S5 is also a good way to get rid of too much heat and noise.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2546

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 03:45:18 PM

how did you mess up your s5 with heat sinks? I am new to changing hardware around and I don't want to do the same thing. I thought you just simply put the heat sinks on top of the chips? How can this break the s5?
One way to damage is by the heatsinks touching other components and possibly causing a short circuit.

MAJOR POINT: Do NOT just use self-stick thermal pads/tape to attach the heatsinks!!!! Always use a thermal epoxy to make sure they stay where placed. Temperature and gravity WILL make them start sliding off which could/will cause short circuits. Been there, done that with S1's. Within 2 months many sinks had fallen off....

Dang I just bought these and am waiting for them to ship http://www.ebay.com/itm/121331886591?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So you are saying they could break my miner? good lookin out.

So I should remove the tape and go with thermal paste or thermal adhesive? sorry for being noob LOL
I'd remove the tape and use thermal epoxy. Paste has pretty much zero holding power and is just a gap filler.
Damn good link on those mini sinks!

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 09:38:35 AM

Under 60c for longevity, as low as you can get them for max longevity.

Have you tried mounting a folded-up blanket (or a large bathtowel etc.) between the S5 and the rest of the room to muffle the noise?

What's the time of Longevity though? Antminer S5's will probably be totally useless in two years, of course I want to keep them working for as long as possible but if 65c will likely kill the unit in 5 years I am not too concerned. (I also don't mine 24/7 since I turn them off as I go to work)

Depends on your electric cost. Even after halfing my current estimates are that my S5s will continue to be profitable at 6.5 cents/KWH - though not much profit and not for long. If you have 3 cent electric, perhaps 2 years - even if the difficulty keeps increasing at the recent rate of increase (this I expect to keep dropping long-term, and I figure the halfing will quickly kill a LOT of mid-to-high price electric mining efforts with older gear).

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 12:40:15 AM

150 cfm Delta is doing most of the work - not THAT much less airflow than the 190cfm stock S5 delta. I'd guess JUST replacing the stock fan with that 150cfm unit would increase your hash board temps 2 degrees C or so with no other change.

there is no way the difficulty isn't about to explode with the S7 and KNC's gear when it launches

S7s appear to already be in use in Hashnest, per all indications that's what Bitmain replaced their Hashnest S5s with (you know, the "used" ones they sold for a month or so?).

KnC claimed to have their Solar stuff "in production" months ago - didn't they announce tapeout EARLY this year?

One thing about difficulty - the faster it increases, the faster old inefficient miners get dropped, which will limit the rate of increase at least some. I won't be supprised to see the average kick up into the 2-3% range, vs. the 1.6% it was averaging for this year prior to the "used S5 sale", but I do NOT expect to see 5% figures ever again except as a one-shot followed by a MUCH smaller jump on the next increase - and possibly not even then.

Do keep in mind that if the "best gear on the market" isn't profitable for someone they'll tend to turn it off - which is a MAJOR limit on how fast difficulty can climb. When the S7 is unprofitable at 10 cents a KWH lots of folks are going to be turning them off.
 Even some of the major FARMS pay more than 6.5 cents / KWH (I only get 6.7 (I refigured it this week based on my CURRENT electric bill and "additional charges") as an "incrimental" cost past a certain number of KWH during the non-summer months).

Also do keep in mind just how MUCH existing hardware is already hashing. It takes a LOT more to "make difficulty explode" now than it did even a year ago.

flikflak

Activity: 408
Merit: 259

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 01:32:53 AM
Last edit: August 29, 2015, 01:47:46 AM by flikflak

Also do keep in mind just how MUCH existing hardware is already hashing. It takes a LOT more to "make difficulty explode" now than it did even a year ago.

That is true and also the reason why I joined into mining a few months ago.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 06:03:45 PM

And at the announced price for the S7, it's debateable if it's really a "home miner" any more. The dual Deltas aren't going to be quiet either....

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: