Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:00:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How many coins are proved to be in possesion of governments?  (Read 913 times)
findftp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1005

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 07:07:04 PM

We all know about the silk road story and USG seizing 144.000 coins from DPR and some 30k coins from the market place.

I've got two qestions:

How many of those coins are still not auctioned?
Are there any other stories of governments owning bitcoins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RappelzReborn

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 07:40:23 PM

We all know about the silk road story and USG seizing 144.000 coins from DPR and some 30k coins from the market place.

I've got two qestions:

there is this article on Ibtimes : http://www.ibtimes.com/worlds-biggest-bitcoin-wallet-owned-us-government-1514100
this is the adress here https://blockchain.info/address/1FfmbHfnpaZjKFvyi1okTjJJusN455paPH but they are moved as you can see , most likely they don't own anything as goverment but maybe individuals on the gouverment do who knows

RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2015, 07:42:28 PM

I doubt the government cares about bitcoin right now on a higher level, only the cops who want to arrest people for this related to it.
CohibAA

Activity: 223
Merit: 130

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2015, 07:51:02 PM

this is the adress here https://blockchain.info/address/1FfmbHfnpaZjKFvyi1okTjJJusN455paPH but they are moved as you can see

Shocked

This Transaction!

Shocked

findftp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1005

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
August 30, 2015, 07:57:45 PM

I've got two qestions:

there is this article on Ibtimes : http://www.ibtimes.com/worlds-biggest-bitcoin-wallet-owned-us-government-1514100
this is the adress here https://blockchain.info/address/1FfmbHfnpaZjKFvyi1okTjJJusN455paPH but they are moved as you can see , most likely they don't own anything as goverment but maybe individuals on the gouverment do who knows

That is an old article.
There were some coins auctioned (50k) bought by Tim Draper.

But how many coins are still owned by government?

Bud Spencer

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 01:43:08 AM

As far as I know, The Australian Government does not posses BTC. It would be just worthless as it will not spend it on online payments.
It would be just dumb if a government does actually posses bitcoins.
achow101_alt

Activity: 268
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 01:46:50 AM

As far as I know, The Australian Government does not posses BTC. It would be just worthless as it will not spend it on online payments.
The US government held (maybe still holds) bitcoin that it seized from Silk Road. It has been auctioning them off to buyers for a lot of money. The last one was for 44000 Bitcoin.

Tip Me!: 1AQx99s7q1wVinbgXbA48BaZQVWpHe5gYM | My PGP Key: Fingerprint 0x17565732E08E5E41
USB-S

Activity: 574

In XEM we trust

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 02:05:15 AM

The US government held (maybe still holds) bitcoin that it seized from Silk Road. It has been auctioning them off to buyers for a lot of money. The last one was for 44000 Bitcoin.
What about China? I've heard rumors that the Chinese government is actually secretly buying up bitcoins to prepare themselves a good position once all fiats fail. I think, that there is little, if any truth to this, but there is always this slim chance since China is leading this race by every means.
All in all I think that China and USA are the only ones actually holding any bitcoins and seeing that USA auctioned so many of them, I think that they don't really know what to do with them.

````````````````████████
_`````````██████████████████████
_`````█████████████████████████████
_```█████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_█████████```````████████```````████████
_███████````████````██`````███````███████
_██████````████████`````████████``███████
_██████````██████````██``██████```███████
_███████```````````████``````````████████
_██████████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_```_████████████████████████████████
_``````████████████████████████████
_`````````3█████████████████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
TELEGRAM CHAT   SITE   TELEGRAM
                   Get free eth
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2015, 05:44:38 AM

OP, Great question!

Any government would be a fool not to devote some resources (quietly) to Bitcoin, in the hopes that it earns them a profit. This would be especially true if the Government was able to obtain ownership for free.

I disagree with this comment below. Governments are very willing to confiscate all that is valuable, you better believe that if they've been able to legally confiscate bitcoin, they've done so and kept some.

I doubt the government cares about bitcoin right now on a higher level, only the cops who want to arrest people for this related to it.

jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1073

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 09:41:29 AM

I think the last Silk Road coins have been auctioned, but not the coins from the Silk Road 2.0 and the other dark markets seized in US. I don't know if other countries have seized coins too.

But I don't know if the govs really own the seized coins, because they can't use them at will, they will have to sell the coins first to use the funds.

Officially no government owns BTC that they can directly spend, as far I know, but of course we never know what happens behind the curtains, specially in China and other authoritarian countries

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 10:07:07 AM

I think the last Silk Road coins have been auctioned, but not the coins from the Silk Road 2.0 and the other dark markets seized in US. I don't know if other countries have seized coins too.

But I don't know if the govs really own the seized coins, because they can't use them at will, they will have to sell the coins first to use the funds.

Officially no government owns BTC that they can directly spend, as far I know, but of course we never know what happens behind the curtains, specially in China and other authoritarian countries

How much coins were seized from SilkRoad 2.0 and the rest of the deep net markets? If the number is over 10K we'll probably see them auctioned them again, if they indeed hold the coins.
achow101_alt

Activity: 268

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 11:44:11 PM

How much coins were seized from SilkRoad 2.0 and the rest of the deep net markets? If the number is over 10K we'll probably see them auctioned them again, if they indeed hold the coins.
Definitely more than 10k was seized in all of the darknet market busts. Silk Road itself had 144K BTC seized from the site by the US government.

Tip Me!: 1AQx99s7q1wVinbgXbA48BaZQVWpHe5gYM | My PGP Key: Fingerprint 0x17565732E08E5E41
FrostStick

Activity: 361

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 01:49:29 AM

I think the government of US is holding multi-million dollars worth of bitcoins. Which is quite a lot.
bri912678

Activity: 348

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 01:55:07 AM

I think the MtGox coins are held by the Japanese government, and they exceed the amount seized from the Silk Road. There is a lawyer in charge of dealing with the claims for them but I don't know who is holding them. It must be an arm of the Japanese government because it wouldn't trust a member of the public with them.
Blue_Tiger73

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 02:27:56 AM

Yeah, i'm pretty sure the Australian government doesn't poses Bitcoin. There has been a post on this forum about the Chinese government possessing Bitcoin but I am not too sure whether that is true.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 02:38:51 AM

I don't believe any government is holding any for their own ends, just stuff that's been confiscated that'll be disposed of in due course. As ever Bitcoiners are overestimating how much of a shit the rest of the world gives. That might not be a fashionable view but I have never courted fashion.
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 06:24:17 AM

I've got two qestions:

I think that The Authorities which had the bitcoins of Silk Road have sold those all. I think even that the Government of USA have not bitcoin and don't care to have bitcoins. Are nothing for their needs. Have any interest to have such kind of currency. They have the us dollar through which they rule all the actual monetary world. They can use the us dollar to have everything they want and they can have as much us dollar as they want. Why care for bitcoin which is nothing for them and is known yes or not from only less of 1% of the world population?
Republic of Coin

Activity: 271

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 07:52:46 AM

I do not think government owns any bitcoin. The Japanese authority "owns" bitcoin on behalf on Mt Gox victims.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: