Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:25:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Call to Arms] CryptoNight FPGA mining  (Read 7948 times)
bitl0ck (OP)

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 08:01:01 AM

We will start accepting donations for CryptoNight FPGA mining from cryptonote community. ( BCN, XMR, AEON, ONEEVILCOIN, REDWIND, TAVOS, INFINIUM8) - cryptonight

I spoke earlier to a fpga coder who is willing to do , so all we need is your support, no matter which cryptonote coin you support, all kinds of donations will be accepted and hold by the respective coin related member ( trusted person ).

All we are asking from the coder is the hashrate/ price of the fpga is equal or better than the gpu's / cpu's.

If you feel you are somehow associated with one of the above stated coins feel free to contact me.

Donation addresses will appear when we have trusted members.

Feel free to express your opinion on this matter.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 08:10:47 AM

I spoke earlier to an fpga coder who is willing to do you
In my mind this reads a bit funny.

All we are asking from the coder is the hashrate/ price of the fpga is equal or better than the gpu's / cpu's.
Wow, that's setting an high bar! You're not asking him to provide the source or anything like that, just a simple question!

Put the two things together.  Cheesy
bitl0ck (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 08:12:45 AM

I spoke earlier to an fpga coder who is willing to do you
In my mind this reads a bit funny.

Wow, that's setting an high bar! You're not asking him to provide the source or anything like that, just a simple question!

Put the two things together.  Cheesy

1. I just corrected it before you replied.

2. Will be clarified later today.
john-connor

Activity: 596
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 09:36:04 AM

We will start accepting donations for CryptoNight FPGA mining from cryptonote community. ( BCN, XMR, AEON, ONEEVILCOIN, REDWIND, TAVOS, INFINIUM8) - cryptonight

I spoke earlier to a fpga coder who is willing to do , so all we need is your support, no matter which cryptonote coin you support, all kinds of donations will be accepted and hold by the respective coin related member ( trusted person ).

If you feel you are somehow associated with one of the above stated coins feel free to contact me.

Donation addresses will appear when we have trusted members.

Feel free to express your opinion on this matter.

I am an FPGA developer, please refer to the Vanillacoin project to see my work. For this to succeed the FPGA board would require extremely fast memory, at least a few megabytes. The most popular FPGA mining boards have ~0 megabytes of memory. FPGA boards that do have onboard memory is typically DDR2. As an HDL/Verilog programmer I can tell you that without a custom built board it is not possible to beat a CPU. However with a custom built board you have pipeline issues like any ASIC would have when processing this amount of memory.

Sorry for the bad news. Cool

Minter                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
               ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
            ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
          ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▄   ▀▓▀   ▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▄     ▄▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ╟▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
       ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
           ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
             ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
                ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀
                     ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀
||

╓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌        ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀╜        ╙▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌐         ▓▓▓▓▓         ╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀█▀▀^         ╫▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                     ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 #▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
WALLET

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█

▄█████▄   ▄▄
▐█▄           ▄███████████▀
████▄▄       ▐█████████████▀
████████▄▄   ▐████████████
 ████████████████████████▌
▐████████████████████████
 ▀███████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████
   ████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄▄▄█████████████▀
  ▀▀█████████▀▀
bitl0ck (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 09:55:44 AM
Last edit: August 31, 2015, 10:21:37 AM by bitl0ck

The fpga dev i talked to is going to build a custom board,

good news for the cryptonote community

sup now john-connor  Grin

EDIT- i remember exactly what you said on #vanillacoin "even a shitty fpga would do it "

this seems a contradiction to me.
YAdaminer

Activity: 829
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 01:56:37 PM

bitl0ck (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 02:56:23 PM

Why would he make a FPGA for that algorithm? It would be a lot more profitable to do it for X11 and mine dash if he can get these FPGA to be efficient enough. I think i am smelling scam on this one.

Cause i support cryptonight coins, thats the why.
traumschiff
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1001

180 BPM

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 04:43:21 PM

Why would he make a FPGA for that algorithm? It would be a lot more profitable to do it for X11 and mine dash if he can get these FPGA to be efficient enough. I think i am smelling scam on this one.

Also I can't imagine custom built FPGA miners to be cheap enough for a decent enough ROI timeframe. If the guy could build custom FPGAs and mining software which would be profitable on XMR or whatever cryptonote fork is the most profitable he would have done it already and sold it for private investors.

Vanillacoin has FPGA mining because the developer did it by himself (some community members took part in the dev process) to support the project.

bitl0ck (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 09:15:46 PM

Also I can't imagine custom built FPGA miners to be cheap enough for a decent enough ROI timeframe. If the guy could build custom FPGAs and mining software which would be profitable on XMR or whatever cryptonote fork is the most profitable he would have done it already and sold it for private investors.

Vanillacoin has FPGA mining because the developer did it by himself (some community members took part in the dev process) to support the project.
Exactly if it could be done profitably it would have already been done by now and we would have seen it on the more profitable algorithms first.

VanillaCoin has nothing to do with this besides having fpga mining.

Maybe no one tried to build custom fpgas yet, or maybe the "botnets" are fpgas or asics.

Also "if it could be done profitably it would have already been done by now " this argument isnt really valid, did you ever imagine something like bitcoin in 2000?
bitl0ck (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 09:22:59 PM

Exactly if it could be done profitably it would have already been done by now and we would have seen it on the more profitable algorithms first.

Maybe no one tried to build custom fpgas yet, or maybe the "botnets" are fpgas or asics.

Also "if it could be done profitably it would have already been done by now " this argument isnt really valid, did you ever imagine something like bitcoin in 2000?
Listen if it was easily done it would have been done, were talking money now and when there is money to be made people are paying attention. The same people who made the FPGA's back for bitcoin before asic I am sure looked at it but I also am sure they looked at X11 more. When a coin has enough cap and people to want to buy FPGA's constantly they will be made that is why Litecoin led to Asics and if Dash stays up or picks up a larger market cap we will see an X11 fpga or an asic. If any Cryptonight coin starts being huge and having a very large market cap then yeah we will see one then because it will be profitable to do so.

You are just stating an theoretical evolution which might not be wrong at all, have you seen bytecoin marketcap?
bitl0ck (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 09:29:20 PM

Listen if it was easily done it would have been done, were talking money now and when there is money to be made people are paying attention. The same people who made the FPGA's back for bitcoin before asic I am sure looked at it but I also am sure they looked at X11 more. When a coin has enough cap and people to want to buy FPGA's constantly they will be made that is why Litecoin led to Asics and if Dash stays up or picks up a larger market cap we will see an X11 fpga or an asic. If any Cryptonight coin starts being huge and having a very large market cap then yeah we will see one then because it will be profitable to do so.

You are just stating an theoretical evolution which might not be wrong at all, have you seen bytecoin marketcap?
Yeah and look at litecoin the lowest cap that has an asic, right around 120million, so Bytecoin has 8% of the total value of litecoin. When it hits 50 million then I would expect some custom hardware coming out for it.

People make the evolution, its not directly related to the marketcap. If its profitable why not?
bitl0ck (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 09:32:50 PM

People can have the option of mining at non profitability and profit later...anyways

"All we are asking from the coder is the hashrate/ price of the fpga is equal or better than the gpu's / cpu's."

If it can be done, why not? Would be the same as a gpu/cpu. ( at least)
bitl0ck (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 09:39:08 PM

People can have the option of mining at non profitability and profit later...anyways

"All we are asking from the coder is the hashrate/ price of the fpga is equal or better than the gpu's / cpu's."

Because it isn't as simple as you are making it out to be, the coder will need dev boards, time and money to make it work. Dev boards are very expensive when they are one of a kind and when you throw 8 bitcoins at this project and he does get a code and set up worthwhile who is going to fabricate them? Who is going to purchase the MOQ to actually have the fabrication worthwhile?

The idea of these donations going anywhere but inside someone's pocket is extremely small.

This is still being discussed so i cant give any further details.
bitl0ck (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 12:49:37 AM

Because it isn't as simple as you are making it out to be, the coder will need dev boards, time and money to make it work. Dev boards are very expensive when they are one of a kind and when you throw 8 bitcoins at this project and he does get a code and set up worthwhile who is going to fabricate them? Who is going to purchase the MOQ to actually have the fabrication worthwhile?

The idea of these donations going anywhere but inside someone's pocket is extremely small.

Let him learn the hard way. Sure, it's possible, but it's not simple, and it'll likely be more expensive than GPU/CPU.

Thats why we have you Wolf, you can always do your performance tweaks :p
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 12:38:34 PM

If I had to pay someone to code me some FPGA for mining I would choose another algorithm, at least a more profitable one Wink

You probably should consider paying this coder to work on FPGAs for X11, X13 and X15 coins Wink
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2015, 03:44:34 PM

If I had to pay someone to code me some FPGA for mining I would choose another algorithm, at least a more profitable one Wink

You probably should consider paying this coder to work on FPGAs for X11, X13 and X15 coins Wink
Would be the only logical solution and then just sell the coins and buy the cryptonight coin you are interested in but still I don't think x11 is worth enough to warrant one yet.

Sure it is! Stop thinking inside the box. Don't get a Kintex Ultrascale chip for X11, get maybe 8 or 9 Spartan-6 LX150 chips and use a custom board!

X11, if done properly, requires pretty much no memory. Each FPGA chip can be flashed to one algo each, except for maybe one or two that can fit two simpler algos. The algos will even be easy to pipeline - one chip is one step. Board should be custom, for fast communication between FPGA chips, and this will allow you to omit costly extras like RAM.
Hmm, I am not a developer but it sounds very possible and you definitely sound like you know what you are doing. You think you could design one and get one working and start your own FPGA company selling these if you had the right amount of investors or enough coin invested? You are the king of X11 bins and obviously know the technical side of it.
then a cloud mining company 
then Bahamas,
then prison  (low chance though) Grin

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
bitl0ck (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 06:00:51 PM

Would be the only logical solution and then just sell the coins and buy the cryptonight coin you are interested in but still I don't think x11 is worth enough to warrant one yet.

Sure it is! Stop thinking inside the box. Don't get a Kintex Ultrascale chip for X11, get maybe 8 or 9 Spartan-6 LX150 chips and use a custom board!

X11, if done properly, requires pretty much no memory. Each FPGA chip can be flashed to one algo each, except for maybe one or two that can fit two simpler algos. The algos will even be easy to pipeline - one chip is one step. Board should be custom, for fast communication between FPGA chips, and this will allow you to omit costly extras like RAM.

I only started this thread cause i heavily support cryptonote, the issue here is the fund, XMR has a development fund im not sure if that happens with any X11 coins so this can become public and not only for some users.
bitl0ck (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 10:29:58 PM

Hmm, I am not a developer but it sounds very possible and you definitely sound like you know what you are doing. You think you could design one and get one working and start your own FPGA company selling these if you had the right amount of investors or enough coin invested? You are the king of X11 bins and obviously know the technical side of it.

If I could get someone to solder the boards, I could probably do the dev work.

You could order a custom design i guess, but im not sure as im not into fpga's.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 12:23:36 PM

What is so special about FPGA exactly?

Last I heard its only advantage is the low power usage but they are generally very slow. If you want something fast, you need to design an ASIC for that.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
TunerDude007

Activity: 458
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 18, 2017, 09:55:18 PM

So since this thread was originally started we can see the proliferation of x11 asics and fpga's (I still think Baikal's seem more fpga then asic).

But my question has anyone made any progress towards cryptonight fpga's/asics?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: