Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:48:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How I learned to stop worrying and love the fork  (Read 2301 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 02:38:54 AM

The most damaging aspect is how the rest of the people not within the circle of community, on what they would think and will view bitcoin. They will see it as something not reliable and with uncertainty surrounding it, nobody is going to put in more money. Surely they are not going to take that kind of risk on investment.

The same thing was said many times about Bitcoin itself by most of the people who had even heard of it.  Ultimately they mis-judged and it was their loss.  Shrugs.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
uxgpf

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 03:02:57 AM

It also demonstrates how a less patient character can also be effective, although whether Torvald's demeanour is what actually motivates people to do the job well is debatable.

I think that's more due to cultural differences than impatience. Finns give relatively little value to social etiquette. I guess Linus just thinks it's more important to be clear in ones message and get the job done. It might not always motivate to do the job well (some egos will get bruised), but certainly makes it easier as others don't have to be second guessing his intentions.

Re. bitcoin. laanwj is respected and trusted and could potentially steer bitcoin clear of this XT fork. Solutions might not be the most efficient ones, but sometimes it's more important to move things forward.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2015, 03:12:38 AM

why i stopped worrying and began loving the fork is that this whole circus means that people give a damn.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 12:27:42 PM

-snip-

yes i'm thinking the same thing two chains side-by-side will be EXCELLENT for everyone !
~ keep calm and BTC ;-) *eZ^$$$

Short term gain for a long term loss?

If 2 chains side by side occurs , bitcoin as we know is dead. No one will touch it.

There can't be 2 chains. if that happens everyone will be leaping off of Bitcoin in a real hurry. This situation is doing no good for bitcoin. I'm a bitcoin believer, but even soI believe that another coin will overcome Bitcoin before we know it.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 12:48:58 PM

-snip-

yes i'm thinking the same thing two chains side-by-side will be EXCELLENT for everyone !
~ keep calm and BTC ;-) *eZ^$$$

Short term gain for a long term loss?

If 2 chains side by side occurs , bitcoin as we know is dead. No one will touch it.

There can't be 2 chains. if that happens everyone will be leaping off of Bitcoin in a real hurry. This situation is doing no good for bitcoin. I'm a bitcoin believer, but even soI believe that another coin will overcome Bitcoin before we know it.

Exactly this! I kind of believe that if we do end up with 2 Blockchain's, Bitcoin will never again be the same and we would lose a lot of our future potential. People would lose confidence, precedent would be set and Bitcoin would just never be the same.

Now is this possible? Absolutely. As Meni said it nicely, people have already used to throughout their history on destroying much of the great things because of their human characters, egos etc..

Lets hope we will never end up with 2 Bitcoins.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 02:44:50 PM

why i stopped worrying and began loving the fork is that this whole circus means that people give a damn.

That's actually an interesting and valuable observation.  IMHO.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: