Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:05:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Send full amount as a fee to miners  (Read 2280 times)
Shawshank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1623
Merit: 1608

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 06:19:28 PM

I want to send some dust amount to miners directly, without using a Bitcoin address as a destination.

Is there a script around there that I can use? It seems Bitcoin Core does not allow to do this.

Lightning Address: shawshank@getalby.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 06:41:01 PM

I want to send some dust amount to miners directly, without using a Bitcoin address as a destination.

Is there a script around there that I can use? It seems Bitcoin Core does not allow to do this.

There was a thing by Peter Todd, IIRC, called dust-b-gone. Get rid of the dust by donating it to miners.
CasioK

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 06:44:46 PM

you can send one 0.000001 btc to any address and change the fees amount to the amount that you want to send to the miners
like send 0.0000001 btc to someone random btc address with 0.50btc as fees, and miner gets the fees

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
pr0d1gy

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 06:54:54 PM

Good guy OP, that's how you bitcoin, I'm sure you'll make a random miner happy... or confused...  Grin

Set Escrow
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wapinter
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1026

Hire me for Bounty Management

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 07:23:40 PM

Why sending it to miners they are already earning bitcoins.Give it away to newbies like me Cheesy
SquallLeonhart
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1101

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 07:38:12 PM

Why sending it to miners they are already earning bitcoins.Give it away to newbies like me Cheesy
because miners are who keep the network secure with mining and supporting the network not newbies like you, they are doing hard work and investing money and you want free money
Wapinter
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1026

Hire me for Bounty Management

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 07:55:01 PM

because miners are who keep the network secure with mining and supporting the network not newbies like you, they are doing hard work and investing money and you want free money

I appreciate what they are doing but they aren't doing it for nothing. They do get their share in bitcoin. Mining is not a social work if you can't help a newbie like me,atleast spend it for some good cause
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1074

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 06:02:55 AM

you can send one 0.000001 btc to any address and change the fees amount to the amount that you want to send to the miners
like send 0.0000001 btc to someone random btc address with 0.50btc as fees, and miner gets the fees

But this is problmatic because the 1 satoshi ends up in the UTXO set so instead of cleaning up the dust, you're making even smaller dust and sending it to someone else.

It may be better instead to make a transactions without any outputs (is this legal)?  If the point is to clean up dust, you definitely want to figure out how to create something which actually acheives this.
Sapholard

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 06:08:32 AM

instead of that may be you could use for any development or invest in a team and then donate that biggger profits
Shawshank (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 12:22:38 PM

There was a thing by Peter Todd, IIRC, called dust-b-gone. Get rid of the dust by donating it to miners.

Thanks. I have had a look at it. The problem is that it uses a centralized server and it still creates a transaction with an ouput with a value greater than zero.

Ha ha ha. Sorry, but I need to send the dust directly to miners to guarantee traceability and transpareny for my app. In case you want to know: https://xparent.com/app

It may be better instead to make a transactions without any outputs (is this legal)?  If the point is to clean up dust, you definitely want to figure out how to create something which actually acheives this.

I just found out that transactions with a single output with a value of zero satoshis are not standard, and are not relayed by Bitcoin Core, even though they are considered valid if they make it to a block. I will need to find a better solution.  Sad

amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 12:34:44 PM

I can write such program for you.
It is not too difficult.
But I program in C++ not in python/other script languages

What kind of program do you want? Should it send all outputs less than some dust limit to miners?

hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 12:38:47 PM

But this is problmatic because the 1 satoshi ends up in the UTXO set so instead of cleaning up the dust, you're making even smaller dust and sending it to someone else.

An OP_RETURN script would be legal, and it would additionally allow a short explanation of any info you want to provide (such as who you are, reasoning). 40 bytes is enough for a url shortener or pastebin link.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 12:41:47 PM

It may be better instead to make a transactions without any outputs (is this legal)?
No. Transaction must contain at least one output.
But it is possible to use OP_RETURN output which sends all inputs to miner fees
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 01:02:59 PM

Couldnt you just hang onto the dust until you need to make a legit transaction, say to pay hosting or whatever for your service, and then just add the dust as the fee for that transaction? This will prevent the single satoshi to a random address issue and still send dust to the miners.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 6473

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2015, 01:22:07 PM

Couldnt you just hang onto the dust until you need to make a legit transaction, say to pay hosting or whatever for your service, and then just add the dust as the fee for that transaction? This will prevent the single satoshi to a random address issue and still send dust to the miners.
all of those dusty outputs would inflate the size of the transaction and require a large fee to send that the dusty may not be able to cover.

The best way would be to use OP_RETURN to not create any outputs.

Shawshank (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 01:22:51 PM

Yep. That is one possibility.

Another option is to send it to a provable unspendable address. For example: https://blockchain.info/address/1111111111111111111114oLvT2  I suppose that in the future the UTXO associated to this kind of addresses will be ignored by miners.

Not for hosting or any other service.

For accountability purposes I need to guarantee that there is no association whatsoever between the sender and the receiver of those funds. Valid destinations may be: full amount sent to miners in a publicly broadcast transaction, a few respected well-known charities or a provable unspendable address like the one specified above.

amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 01:43:02 PM

Another option is to send it to a provable unspendable address. For example:
https://blockchain.info/address/1111111111111111111114oLvT2  
I suppose that in the future the UTXO associated to this kind of addresses will be ignored by miners.
You are twice wrong.
1) This address is not provable unspendable. It is spendable.
But no one claimed that he knows the private key for it.

2) Miners can not take funds which were sent to this address to their fees.
And they can not take any funds from any provable unspendable outputs to fees.
The funds sent to provable unspendable outputs are gone to nobody.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1074

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 03:30:57 PM

It may be better instead to make a transactions without any outputs (is this legal)?
No. Transaction must contain at least one output.

So the one output would have a value of 0 Satoshis and the script part would just be OP_RETURN + 40 bytes of data?

If this is the preferred dust cleanup transaction I'm happy to know it.
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 03:47:50 PM

So the one output would have a value of 0 Satoshis and the script part would just be OP_RETURN + 40 bytes of data?
If this is the preferred dust cleanup transaction I'm happy to know it.
Yes. You are not forced to add 40 bytes of data.
The one-byte-output-script OP_RETURN and zero amount to it will send all your inputs to miner
for example:
https://blockchain.info/tx/3d665c1eb25160444cf053988a0d7d0c3ec5e68e3897a917d59447052788cfc5
note, that blockchain.info can not decode this output script to address and shows message "Unable to decode output address - (Unspent)"

I do not know what client is able to create such transactions.
It is quite easy, but I use my own tools.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 04:28:14 PM

I appreciate what they are doing but they aren't doing it for nothing. They do get their share in bitcoin. Mining is not a social work if you can't help a newbie like me,atleast spend it for some good cause

A better cause to spend would be donating to nodes. In fact, nodes provide the first layer of security to bitcoin network, but they get nothing directly in return.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: