Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:23:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We could build a democracy out of bitcoin, here's how  (Read 1956 times)
wearehatetherules

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 200+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 06:04:12 AM

Democracy make all of us croos the limit. we show up the human right overly. and finnaly we hate the rules,we hate to be ruled. and war everywhere soon..  Embarrassed

n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 06:29:17 AM
Last edit: September 05, 2015, 06:40:27 AM by n2004al

Suppose we do this. What will be the end? For which will serve this activity? We are not developers and no one will hear what we have made. Maybe to pass the time it will be a good joke bu that can be the maximum we can arrive.
P-Funk

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

Token

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 06:39:06 AM

I don't know if I agree with the premise of using bitcoin holdings as votes but I'll contribute this anyway. As far as solving the double-voting issue, I've heard alt/sidechain Credits is able to distinguish Bitcoin already used to claim its credits from "fresh" Bitcoin. If someone were to implement a voting sidechain or something like that, the Credits code could help with it.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 01:21:37 PM

We don't want democracy. In democracies 10 sheeps vote is better than 9 professors. The right one is not always the most voted. I'm strongly against this proposition.

Indeed bitcoin should be run as a corporation.

It should be % ownership  based voting, just like in a corporation.

The fact that 100000 newbies come in, each with 10 satoshis gained from faucet payments, just to distort the voting mechanism is a bad idea.

Democracy is flawed, both in real life, as in here, we need a capitalist solution here, so it should be a % ownership based vote!

countryfree (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 12:09:33 PM

We don't want democracy. In democracies 10 sheeps vote is better than 9 professors. The right one is not always the most voted. I'm strongly against this proposition.

The fact that 100000 newbies come in, each with 10 satoshis gained from faucet payments, just to distort the voting mechanism is a bad idea.

Democracy is flawed, both in real life, as in here, we need a capitalist solution here, so it should be a % ownership based vote!

In the very early days of democracy, say in the 17th century, it was widely accepted that only the rich, those who paid tax, were allowed to participate in any kind of vote. Voting rights were progressively extended to every man, then every woman.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2015, 01:47:23 PM

Even if a result was reached from the voting let's say in favor of increasing the blocksize, how sure are we that the opposer would accept the result and then move on with life? This issue will still be left hanging and there are bound to be people not wanting to accept the result and will give all sorts of reason to cry foul.

countryfree (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 12:21:28 AM

Even if a result was reached from the voting let's say in favor of increasing the blocksize, how sure are we that the opposer would accept the result and then move on with life? This issue will still be left hanging and there are bound to be people not wanting to accept the result and will give all sorts of reason to cry foul.

This hardly matters, just look at politics. Some Americans are not seeing Obama as their president because is a black muslim, but he's in the White House, and this is what matters to most onlookers. Right now, many BTC investors are worried because they don't know where BTC's heading. If there was a majority towards one precise direction, that would make them confident again. Some miners may not be happy about the outcome, but nobody will care about them since they are a minority.

teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 07:17:35 AM
Last edit: September 07, 2015, 12:04:57 PM by teukon

We have a governance problem right now with the block size issue. It's not easy getting a consensus, it might even be impossible, so I wonder if it could be possible to organize a vote. Here's how we could do it.

To participate, you'd need to own BTC, and have several wallets, but I guess all of us do.

I would move, say, 5 BTC, from one of my wallets to another of my wallets, on a given day. The trick would be to embed in that transaction some code (which would have to be agreed upon beforehand), which would mean "I support XT" or "I support BIP 100". The transaction would be in the blockchain, and at the end of the day, some bot would calculate how many BTC have been moved with "I support XT" or "I support BIP 100".

I understand this system would give more voting rights to those who own the most BTC, but that doesn't worry me because I believe the more BTC you own, the best choice you will make to protect your investment. But we would need a system to prevent voters voting several times. I suggest that to have their votes validated, there should be no other transactions from the receiving wallet on voting day.

Now, since I'm not much of a techie, is that possible? And is it a good idea?

My first thought would be for a voting transaction to be a transaction with one input (say 5 BTC as above) and two outputs:
  • 5 BTC: OP_DUP OP_HASH160 <pubKeyHash> OP_EQUALVERIFY OP_CHECKSIG
  • 0 BTC: OP_RETURN PUSHDATA(<ASCII vote message>)

Organising this to occur on a single day would be difficult.  Perhaps people could vote months in advance of a set block number.  Once this set block is generated and sufficently well buried, the voting transactions still unspent at that point could be summed.

It's an interesting idea but there may be some problems with it.  Perhaps these can be fixed.

For one, I could imagine a powerful interest buying many bitcoins, voting, and immediately selling the bitcoins again.  It's tenuous to suggest that large bitcoin holders will make good decisions or even have Bitcoin's interest at heart.  You could counter this by making the voting transactions unspendable for a number of years (protocol change I think) but this may overly discourage voting.

Another thing to bear in mind is that these votes will be public when they are cast.  You might want to think about tactical voting and/or encryption.

PS: I'd avoid the term "democracy" in future proposals because you'll generate noise (as witnessed in this thread) and because Bitcoin itself doesn't have a concept of person so a democratic, protocol-level mechanism is impossible.  "stake voting" is perhaps more accurate.
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 11:22:17 PM

My first thought would be for a voting transaction to be a transaction with one input (say 5 BTC as above) and two outputs:
  • 5 BTC: OP_DUP OP_HASH160 <pubKeyHash> OP_EQUALVERIFY OP_CHECKSIG
  • 0 BTC: OP_RETURN PUSHDATA(<ASCII vote message>)

Organising this to occur on a single day would be difficult.  Perhaps people could vote months in advance of a set block number.  Once this set block is generated and sufficently well buried, the voting transactions still unspent at that point could be summed.

It's an interesting idea but there may be some problems with it.  Perhaps these can be fixed.

For one, I could imagine a powerful interest buying many bitcoins, voting, and immediately selling the bitcoins again.  It's tenuous to suggest that large bitcoin holders will make good decisions or even have Bitcoin's interest at heart.  You could counter this by making the voting transactions unspendable for a number of years (protocol change I think) but this may overly discourage voting.

Another thing to bear in mind is that these votes will be public when they are cast.  You might want to think about tactical voting and/or encryption.

PS: I'd avoid the term "democracy" in future proposals because you'll generate noise (as witnessed in this thread) and because Bitcoin itself doesn't have a concept of person so a democratic, protocol-level mechanism is impossible.  "stake voting" is perhaps more accurate.

"Stake voting", you're probably right on that. It would be pretty much like a big firm, where the biggest shareholders have the last word. I hadn't thought about people buying then selling BTC to gain voting rights, but I don't see it as a big issue since it should be really expensive with prices going up if many people buy at the same time, then going down if everybody sells again at the same time. Voting process shall be as quick as possible, but how can this be an issue when you'll vote at home?

I kinda like your idea of 2 outputs with a "blank" one. A possible issue could be that it would not be doable with all clients. Much organization would be needed...

countryfree (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 11:32:38 PM

I've just discovered that someone has already done what I've been thinking about.

http://coin-vote.com/

I don't like this way they do things, though.

From their FAQ:

How do I vote?

You first select your choice on a question, then press "Submit". You will be given a "Message to be signed", along with two empty fields. Go to your bitcoin wallet, choose an address that holds funds and use your wallet or bitcoin key to sign the message. You have to put the address (or TXID) which you used to make the signature in the first field on the coin-vote website, and the signature produced by your wallet in the second. Then, click submit. Your vote will be verified and counted.

I'm not comfortable doing this.

teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 11:54:02 PM

I kinda like your idea of 2 outputs with a "blank" one. A possible issue could be that it would not be doable with all clients. Much organization would be needed...

Yes, I was just trying to design a transaction that would be considered "standard" by the reference client.  More exotic designs (such as having multiple OP_RETURN outputs) would be difficult to propogate.

If you want it to be so that a vote can be cast easily by most/all clients then you have more of a challenge.  Without some coin control, the voter would have no easy way to tie his wallets balance to a particular vote.  This will basically be by design; good wallets protect the user's financial privacy by default.  With coin control, a user might replace the OP_RETURN output with a regular transaction, burning a small number of satoshi to a special voting address.  The number of satoshi burnt would correspond to the choice of the voter.  Expect to meet resistance with such a proposal though as these voting outputs would not be "provably unspendable", tantamount to an attack on pruning nodes.

I've just discovered that someone has already done what I've been thinking about.

http://coin-vote.com/

I don't like this way they do things, though.

From their FAQ:

How do I vote?

You first select your choice on a question, then press "Submit". You will be given a "Message to be signed", along with two empty fields. Go to your bitcoin wallet, choose an address that holds funds and use your wallet or bitcoin key to sign the message. You have to put the address (or TXID) which you used to make the signature in the first field on the coin-vote website, and the signature produced by your wallet in the second. Then, click submit. Your vote will be verified and counted.

I'm not comfortable doing this.

Why not?  What is it that makes you uncomfortable?

The main difference between this approach and ours is in whether the votes are store on-chain or off-chain.  Another, more practical difference is in the wallet features needed to cast a vote (message signing/verification is more common than OP_RETURN support).
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 07:00:08 AM

Sounds to me like OP is suggesting a sort of referendum. I get where he's coming from but I think he's misguided. I own some btc, but I really don't understand the whole thing enough to feel qualified to vote. I would simply be guessing. Just like most voters do in a democracy. Wether they know it or not.
So far, the consensus system has worked in my favour, so it's the best option IMO. I also win a few at the $2 window at the track from time to time. Still doesn't mean I know what I'm doing, despite what I tell everybody in the clubhouse afterwards.
xhoneyael

Activity: 462

www.AntiBitcoinTalk.com

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2015, 09:19:33 AM

it not a good idea to make a voting system.
just use what you think is right..

tonycamp

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 09:32:14 AM

i can not configure how do we do a democray into this BTC i mean you need a vote and payed? its against freedom

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange
█████████    <<  ● Free Coins every 24hrs!  >>
██████████    <<  ● REGISTER NOW and GET 1000 DOGE for FREE!  >>
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 02:07:06 PM

In the very early days of democracy, say in the 17th century, it was widely accepted that only the rich, those who paid tax, were allowed to participate in any kind of vote. Voting rights were progressively extended to every man, then every woman.

I`m not saying only the rich, but i`m saying proportional to the % they hold.

After all bitcoin is an investment, and those who hold the most / risk the most of their money in bitcoin, should be the ones that pull the strings.

Would you like your company that you own 100% be run by half-idiots who dont have a clue about company running just because of the sake of democracy?

Sorry but demoncracy never worked.

kromtar

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

contracorriente

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 02:37:41 PM

Democracy is a lie, a minority rules over the majority imposing rigged rules and deceiving the masses.

It's done and don't have anything to do with how bitcoin works.

can't even clean my ass with fiat Sad
TransaDox

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 06:46:03 PM

We have a governance problem right now with the block size issue. It's not easy getting a consensus, it might even be impossible, so I wonder if it could be possible to organize a vote. Here's how we could do it.

To participate, you'd need to own BTC, and have several wallets, but I guess all of us do.

I would move, say, 5 BTC, from one of my wallets to another of my wallets, on a given day. The trick would be to embed in that transaction some code (which would have to be agreed upon beforehand), which would mean "I support XT" or "I support BIP 100". The transaction would be in the blockchain, and at the end of the day, some bot would calculate how many BTC have been moved with "I support XT" or "I support BIP 100".

I understand this system would give more voting rights to those who own the most BTC, but that doesn't worry me because I believe the more BTC you own, the best choice you will make to protect your investment. But we would need a system to prevent voters voting several times. I suggest that to have their votes validated, there should be no other transactions from the receiving wallet on voting day.

Now, since I'm not much of a techie, is that possible? And is it a good idea?

How about anyone that wants to vote, vanity gen some addresses say

1BIPa101......
1BIPa102......

Everyone that wants to vote puts 1 BTC in their first choice, 2 BTC in their second 3BTC in their 3rd [or reverse order-whatever] address and leaves it there for as long as the voting is open. We don't say when the votes will be counted but give a rough indication of sometime in October, say. Then we count up the number of addresses of each in the block chain that have a single transaction of 1,2,3 BTC incoming (ignore those that move it out again). Once the voting is over, you can move your coin.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 08:17:55 PM

Democracy is not the government of choice. It is better, perhaps, than dictatorship. But it actually IS a form of dictatorship. Democracy is dictatorship by the majority. And because the dictates of the majority must be directed, there is still control of the whole by the few.

The answer is, let everyone be free to do and be everything that he wants. The only time he should be controlled by the people, is when he harms someone or damages his property. Otherwise, complete freedom.

After all. We are all certainly more capable of ruling our own life than anyone else is.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.
TransaDox

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 08:40:58 PM

Democracy is not the government of choice. It is better, perhaps, than dictatorship. But it actually IS a form of dictatorship. Democracy is dictatorship by the majority. And because the dictates of the majority must be directed, there is still control of the whole by the few.

The answer is, let everyone be free to do and be everything that he wants. The only time he should be controlled by the people, is when he harms someone or damages his property. Otherwise, complete freedom.

After all. We are all certainly more capable of ruling our own life than anyone else is.

Smiley
I think you are confusing democracy with a technical method of communicating ones desire for a choice given to them.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 09:57:03 PM

Smiley
I think you are confusing democracy with a technical method of communicating ones desire for a choice given to them.

The simple dictionary definitions might suggest this. But when you get into the nitty-gritty of how a democracy works, it is just as I said in simple terms. From http://www.ait.org.tw/infousa/zhtw/docs/whatsdem/whatdm2.htm:

Majority Rule and Minority Rights
All democracies are systems in which citizens freely make political decisions by majority rule. But rule by the majority is not necessarily democratic: No one, for example, would call a system fair or just that permitted 51 percent of the population to oppress the remaining 49 percent in the name of the majority. In a democratic society, majority rule must be coupled with guarantees of individual human rights that, in turn, serve to protect the rights of minorities--whether ethnic, religious, or political, or simply the losers in the debate over a piece of controversial legislation. The rights of minorities do not depend upon the goodwill of the majority and cannot be eliminated by majority vote. The rights of minorities are protected because democratic laws and institutions protect the rights of all citizens.

It is just as I said. In a democracy, the majority sets the tone, and then the few regulate the many by interpreting the tone as they wish.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: