Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:11:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux or Windows.  (Read 2421 times)
mlouca (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 06:11:49 PM

Hello everyone,

Im debating which OS to use as my platform. Do you guys prefer Ubuntu or Windows xp? Any recommendations would be great. Also want to add this on my USB drive rather than a hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LegitBit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 06:21:57 PM

I prefer windows, since it is easy to setup and easy to upgrade, though Ubuntu is likely a better choice in terms of resource use.

You could try to roll your own XP build just for bitcoin, use nLite http://www.nliteos.com/ to cut down on whatever you don't need for bitcoining.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
Okama

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 06:32:47 PM

For sure, Linux. Say no with dummy VGA plugs or CPU load problem.
CubedRoot

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 06:42:27 PM

Im using Ubuntu, but if you are planning on overclocking and adjusting voltages on ATI cards, you will be out of luck.  I have not found a tool to let me adjust the voltages on my cards, so I can never get as many hash/sec as I can in windows using Trixx.
BitCheddar

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 06:46:29 PM

I use windows mainly because I have much more experience with it and I haven't had the CPU problem some people have with miners.  Dummy plugs = one resistor.  Not exactly a show stopper.  Also it appears GPU overclocking tools are more available/capable for windows.
mlouca (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 08:36:52 PM

Yeah i was thinking Linux also just because of resources. For windows xp i would get a stripped version with only neccessary components. Linux..can anyone help on where to download get the right config.

Thanks guys again,
grndzero

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 08:39:10 PM

Yeah i was thinking Linux also just because of resources. For windows xp i would get a stripped version with only neccessary components. Linux..can anyone help on where to download get the right config.

Thanks guys again,

The right config depends on what cards your are using.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
supa
Copper Member

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 08:41:39 PM

Linux is easy - grab almost any common distro and add "3" to the end of the kernel parameters in grub.

From the Grub menu press a key to enter selection mode (where you can move the cursor), choose a boot option and press "e".  Select kernel, press "e" again.  Go to the end of the line and add a "3".  Hit enter, press "b".

That will place you in run level 3 (no GUI, multiuser with networking) and you're already better off than Windows with almost no work. Smiley
spleeder

Activity: 51

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 09:03:02 PM

Linux all the way. Don't even think about Windblows.
Crs

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:14:52 PM

Thanks guys again,
Windows:dummy plugs,way easyer to overclock,2-3% higher hash rate,easy monitoring of your mining rig and software.
Linux: takes longer to configure,overclocking is a little bit harder (especially when you want to jam with the voltage),low consumption of the resources and most important: you should have (at least) some basic linux (console) skills.
If you want a dedicated mining rig go with linux, else >> windows. My 2 bitcents...

Working Ubuntu tutorial: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7514.0
ne1

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 09:28:43 PM

check out linuxcoin

gat3way

Activity: 256

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:43:57 PM

2-3% higher hash rate under windows?!?

Are you serious about that? My observations related to developing GPGPU software pretty much lead me to the conclusion that there is no performance difference at all, well never tried implementing a bitcoin kernel/host code under windows though. Other than that, linux's advantages over windows are related mostly to elimination of dummy plugs, the possibility to utilize a number of GPUs in a single process without serializing anything and losing performance. And of course the possibility to build a more energy-efficient system (e.g PXE booting, using lightweight WM like fluxbox, etc). And of course that 4 GPU limit. Overall, with more manual intervention, with linux you can build kinda cheaper and more energy-efficient system. Then of course you can pretty much fuck it up.
supa
Copper Member

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 10:00:20 PM

There should never, ever be a difference in GPU mining between OSes.  With the exception of driver versions.

A WM?  Really?

Consider a single sempron, no GUI, no DVD, no other disks, no monitor, 256M of RAM, no monitor, no GUI, no keyboard, no browsers, no GUI, on board sound disabled, AMD Cool n' Quiet on, BIOS-only RAM underclocking, run level 3, no GUI, no automatic coffee maker, no silliness.

People will scoff at CPU mining, but go crazy over 3% gain in a power hungry OS?

A simple Linux desktop can do 3MHs on a core without scaling up to full power load.  Some ATOM processors can do 1-2MHs and never consume more power.  There's your 10% gain overclocking a 300MHs card and performing extra cooling.
Zagitta

Activity: 302
Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 10:19:15 PM

There should never, ever be a difference in GPU mining between OSes.  With the exception of driver versions.

A WM?  Really?

Consider a single sempron, no GUI, no DVD, no other disks, no monitor, 256M of RAM, no monitor, no GUI, no keyboard, no browsers, no GUI, on board sound disabled, AMD Cool n' Quiet on, BIOS-only RAM underclocking, run level 3, no GUI, no automatic coffee maker, no silliness.

People will scoff at CPU mining, but go crazy over 3% gain in a power hungry OS?

A simple Linux desktop can do 3MHs on a core without scaling up to full power load.  Some ATOM processors can do 1-2MHs and never consume more power.  There's your 10% gain overclocking a 300MHs card and performing extra cooling.

10%? (300/100)*10 != 1 nor 2...

Also why use that extra power when you know it's so inefficient that it costs more in money than it produce?

Genrobo

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 10:24:54 PM

So... ultimately Windows can do more h/s than Linux, because of the easier overclocking overhead, but Windows uses more power?
Am I following this debate so far?

Surely someone knows of a good clocking utility in Linux...
supa
Copper Member

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 10:51:03 PM

10%? (300/100)*10 != 1 nor 2...

Also why use that extra power when you know it's so inefficient that it costs more in money than it produce?

I was thinking ahead of myself there, eh?  I'm not even going to edit the typo out. Smiley
I use multiple systems in parallel and was thinking in several systems instead of a single desktop.

Define inefficient.  My PC is on.  With the CPU underclocked and at 0 load with no miner, it produces 0MHs.
The CPU underclocked and at 100% load on a single core with a miner consumes no more power than it did previously.  It produces 2MHs.

Windows boot up on the same system at 10-20 seconds of complete load with no scaling is more expensive than not running a miner.  It's also more expensive than running a miner.  Hmmm...

Add a GUI.  That consumes far more cycles and far more power than running a single thread on a multi-core processor in many systems.

If your definition of "inefficient" is "not producing anything and costing the same as if it were" then I suppose that's correct....

gat3way

Activity: 256

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 11:22:48 PM

Overall I prefer linux because of the easy customization and the more power it gives me to change things. Also (subjectively) for the higher uptime.

For example, here is a quick'n'dirty web interface I did for my dedicated mining machine:

http://78.90.217.9:5566/mine/

This took me about ~30 minutes to set up and code this. I also have web interface to shutdown/start/change fan/clock settings. I can easily control my mining process via my phone. I took me just a couple of hours to implement and set up.
ne1

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2011, 01:11:49 AM

Wow man that's really awsome, can you share a bit of how you set that up?

CubedRoot

Activity: 291

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 01:46:13 AM

Overall I prefer linux because of the easy customization and the more power it gives me to change things. Also (subjectively) for the higher uptime.

For example, here is a quick'n'dirty web interface I did for my dedicated mining machine:

http://78.90.217.9:5566/mine/

This took me about ~30 minutes to set up and code this. I also have web interface to shutdown/start/change fan/clock settings. I can easily control my mining process via my phone. I took me just a couple of hours to implement and set up.

Would you be willing to share that?
kr105

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 02:48:04 AM

YES, please share that!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: