Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:38:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: frank90  (Read 1495 times)
gabbynot (OP)

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 01:35:05 PM

I purchased some Home Depot e-gift cards back from him in July, but when I went to use them 3 weeks later they both had a zero balance.  After a full month of ignoring my PM's and emails, he responds by basically saying nigerian scammers must have broken into my email to get the codes, and won't provide restitution.  I was honestly just going to write off the matter as it looked like I was the only one having problems with frank90.

Now it looks like another user, deego, has had the same exact problem as me.  Frank90 hasn't responded to his accusations as of yet:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60163.msg1249136#msg1249136

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 04:56:38 PM

FWIW:

I purchased several of these egift cards - going back many months

and then $1000 worth recently.

Never had any problems, this last time I bought them I actually called up the Home Depot customer service number and spoke to someone - I told them I purchased the gift cards online and wanted to make sure they were legitimate and not purchased with a stolen credit card or anything before I went ahead and used them. She told me they appeared to be legitimate and also said there are many ways people can get these legitimately without buying them, and that is why they can sell them at a discount.

I am really sorry you lost some money on this but from my dealings with him I believe that the egift cards were good when you received them and therefore he is not a scammer
scamming is intentionally ripping someone off. Believe it or not its very possible someone hacked his machine and copied the egift cards - they are just pdf files, its a totally believable situation, especially since he has been doing this a long time, people know that he has these gift card codes and there are many ways people could of gotten his IP address - or a random hacker could of just came a crossed it randomly as he was looking around franks machine and decided to take them.

Because of the security breach : He should probably have a disclaimer on his thread to use them within a short period of time which I will suggest to him at his thread.

In my humble opinion I do not think frank deserves a scammer tag because I am sure those egift cards were working when he sold them to you.

well thats my two cents and I mean it man, really sorry you lost out on this one - it sucks big time. If theres anything I can do to help please let me know.

Tom

stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 04:59:29 PM

FWIW:

I purchased several of these egift cards - going back many months

and then $1000 worth recently.

Never had any problems, this last time I bought them I actually called up the Home Depot customer service number and spoke to someone - I told them I purchased the gift cards online and wanted to make sure they were legitimate and not purchased with a stolen credit card or anything before I went ahead and used them. She told me they appeared to be legitimate and also said there are many ways people can get these legitimately without buying them, and that is why they can sell them at a discount.

I am really sorry you lost some money on this but from my dealings with him I believe that the egift cards were good when you received them and therefore he is not a scammer
scamming is intentionally ripping someone off. Believe it or not its very possible someone hacked his machine and copied the egift cards - they are just pdf files, its a totally believable situation, especially since he has been doing this a long time, people know that he has these gift card codes and there are many ways people could of gotten his IP address - or a random hacker could of just came a crossed it randomly as he was looking around franks machine and decided to take them.

Because of the security breach : He should probably have a disclaimer on his thread to use them within a short period of time which I will suggest to him at his thread.

In my humble opinion I do not think frank deserves a scammer tag because I am sure those egift cards were working when he sold them to you.

well thats my two cents and I mean it man, really sorry you lost out on this one - it sucks big time. If theres anything I can do to help please let me know.

Tom

He should refund the cards if someone broke into his email and stole the account numbers after he sold them to someone.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
gabbynot (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 05:02:13 PM

Yes, frank90 replied that someone must have broken into *my* email account to steal the codes, but now that another user has had the same problem, that seems very unlikely.

cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 05:14:26 PM

ohh wow thats strange

Yeah that seems like a lie to me as well

if he said someone broke into your email address - thats a little different.

See now that makes me think that there is something about the way he gets these egift cards that he does not want us to know about - it sounds like the cards just go bad after awhile and he does not want us to know why.

that is sketchy...
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:12:24 PM

I never had a good feeling about that guy. Anybody dealing with gift cards is usually shady AF.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 10:12:36 PM

I never had a good feeling about that guy. Anybody dealing with gift cards is usually shady AF.
There is a major source of legit HD cards, all of the ones I purchased from Frank90 worked perfectly. 

Fjordbit

Activity: 588

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 06:57:53 PM

Also, the op called Home Depot  and they reported the cards getting "deactivated" on sep. 17.  But, why would a store deactivate cards?  Because they found out they are illegit. or stolen?  

Since you have the cards in your possession, can't you find this out?
Fjordbit

Activity: 588

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 06:52:23 PM

Well, I have called Home Depot several times myself. The op was lucky he at least got that information.
Their left hand doesn't seem to know the right. The guys I call can only seem to tell me "0 balance." Some others say they show no such card...

I would go into the store and make a big stink about it until I got an answer. They must have some way of pulling up the transaction history, so see if someone moved the money out of the card.

I do have a question about these cards. I'm not really familiar with Home Depot's cards, but a lot of these store cards have a scratch off area that allows you to spend. Was that intact when you got the card.
gabbynot (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 12:38:51 AM

UPDATE:  frank90 and I have been able to work out things between us, so I won't be pursuing a "scammer" label anymore.  We still don't know exactly why my e-cards were deactivated, however.

He indicated that he was going to find a resolution with deego as well, but I'll let deego confirm that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: