Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:49:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Juneteenth will rob you- PART ONE  (Read 2127 times)
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 03:51:30 PM

Blatantly stolen from me, just took me money like he deserved it. I will assume he lives below poverty level and imagine he only stole my money for the sole purpose of feeding his 5 children, otherwise I don't see how he deserves my money any more then I do... seeing as I am the one that has to work extra shift at work for the next 4 weeks in order to make up for my lost money.

Money is earned not deserved. Lay off the welfarist pipe.

I've already moved across the country. And I don't "need to shut up". That sounds borderline facist.

On topic - My point was simply that there is a difference between a "selective scammer" (someone that hits you because he can with no real consequences) and a "runner".

A selective scammer will hit 1/10, 1/20, or that sweet bulk amount out of 50 legitimate transactions. The world could worship a selective scammer for their legit reputation and honesty, while two or three people cry foul. They are extremely hard to detect, even harder to catch, and impossible to stop, as the human attitude towards business transactions is usually "Well -I- didn't have a problem...". If you've dealt with a person for $50 amounts, and the rest of the people vouching for him have dealt in $50 amounts, do not be the first to deal in $200 amounts. That's the best advice I can give.

A runner simply waits until the "pot" is big enough (enough trust has been built, transactions performed) and then hits as many people as he/she can in one swoop. They are difficult to detect, easy to catch, and difficult to stop.

A tell-tale sign of runner behavior might be a "great deal", or someone who is only offering large sums of something. Or if they suddenly stop accepting escrow. But that cold and sick feeling in your stomach when the PMs go quiet means you've just been hit.

A selective scammer can be exposed with this kind of thread. A runner is ready to go down in flames (and with your money) and does not care about these kinds of threads. That's what I'm saying.

Never. Ever. Ever. Ever. Ever deal outside of escrow. Just don't do it. Wait your 1-3 days for John K (or less than that) and escrow properly.

Heh, scammers giving advice nao. The world truly is upside down.

Is that really SO unusual on Bitcoinscam.org.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=18244.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 02:24:21 PM

Is that really SO unusual on Bitcoinscam.org.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=18244.0

Well that was before the guy got tagged. You know, back when he was being all cool and helpful and the Father of Noobs in the noobs' estimation, organizing London's first first conference (unlike the more recent second first conference etc), giving opinions on legal matters and generally being a typical member of teh community.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 06:07:45 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2013, 06:01:26 AM by QuestionAuthority

Is that really SO unusual on Bitcoinscam.org.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=18244.0

Well that was before the guy got tagged. You know, back when he was being all cool and helpful and the Father of Noobs in the noobs' estimation, organizing London's first first conference (unlike the more recent second first conference etc), giving opinions on legal matters and generally being a typical member of teh community.

Of course, there are multiple levels of scammer here. One level is relatively harmless and scams a few people out of pocket change shortly after joining the community. This type of scammer takes a few dollars worth of Bitcoin and giggles in his moms basement at how easy it was to steal beer money. I call this one the quickie scammer.

Another level is a scammer (clearly the most dangerous one) takes months building up the trust of the community and runs a long con. This type of scammer is brazen and understands that is doesn't matter if he personally meets everyone at the forum because there is still nothing legally that can be done to stop him because of the nature of Bitcoin. I could recite a list of them starting with Bruce Wagner but you know who they are.

Then there's the stealth scammer that really understands the system as well as any dev and figures out a way to hack it faster than the holes can be plugged. Less frequent but equally dangerous this scammer preys on people like Allinvain or the Linode theft. You will never know when this one is waiting to get you.

It's sometimes difficult to distinguish between the long con and the innocent idiots playing with more money than they should be allowed to handle. This group "loses" the money in various ways through no fault of their own - maybe. They are still here waiting for everyone to forget the last time they fucked up so they can do it again.

There are also the investment scammers. This group asks the community for a large up front start-up injection of money and without providing interest on the money proceeds to take a year or more to return a product while still earning fiat interest on the funds of gullible members of the community. I'd recite this list starting with magazines and mining equipment sales but again you know who they are.

The guy in this thread is just a quickie and relatively harmless. He may even do it again under another user name but will never really gain that much for his effort. I'd say watch the old established members closely and protect yourself from them because they have the ability to really screw you out of everything in your wallet.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:42:38 PM

Of course, there are multiple levels of scammer here. One level is relatively harmless and scams a few people out of pocket change shortly after joining the community. This type of scammer takes a few dollars worth of Bitcoin and giggles in his moms basement at how easy it was to steal beer money. I call this one the quickie scammer.

Another level is a scammer (clearly the most dangerous one) takes months building up the trust of the community and runs a long con. This type of scammer is brazen and understands that is doesn't matter if he personally meets everyone at the forum because there is still nothing legally that can be done to stop him because of the nature of Bitcoin. I could recite a list of them starting with Bruce Wagner but you know who they are.

Then there's the stealth scammer that really understands the system as well as any dev and figures out a way to hack it faster than the holes can be plugged. Less frequent but equally dangerous this scammer preys on people like Allinvain or the rackspace theft. You will never know when this one is waiting to get you.

It's sometimes difficult to distinguish between the long con and the innocent idiots playing with more money than they should be allowed to handle. This group "loses" the money in various ways through no fault of their own - maybe. They are still here waiting for everyone to forget the last time they fucked up so they can do it again.

There are also the investment scammers. This group asks the community for a large up front start-up injection of money and without providing interest on the money proceeds to take a year or more to return a product while still earning fiat interest on the funds of gullible members of the community. I'd recite this list starting with magazines and mining equipment sales but again you know who they are.

The guy in this thread is just a quickie and relatively harmless. He may even do it again under another user name but will never really gain that much for his effort. I'd say watch the old established members closely and protect yourself from them because they have the ability to really screw you out of everything in your wallet.

An exceptionally good post, so quoted.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:53:06 PM

[...] Another level is a scammer (clearly the most dangerous one) takes months building up the trust of the community and runs a long con. [...]
Those scammers might even acquire root trust from the admins, sometimes.
They can paint people red. But they cannot escape their own built guilt.

Kisses from a dumb, respectful guy. Smiley

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: