Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:07:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling Bitcoin on Amazon  (Read 8832 times)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 01:58:41 PM

Maybe it will work? Let's see. It may help out our UK peers right now.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinMarket (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 05:33:08 PM

I have some bitcoin now and I am ready to send. 

I do understand that this is risky, but it really makes me mad that bitcoins are somewhat difficult, and so expensive to aquire for the first time.  I am actually loosing a little money with these first few orders because of all the transaction fees, but I hope with a little increased volume that I will be able to come out ahead.  My goal is only to make 1-2%. 

It is very frustrating that bitcoin is a way to stay away from traditional currency and transactions, including transaction fees, and everywhere you look people are charging so many fees for the bitcoin transactions, and often requiring multiple transactions to get them so that the bothersome 5% fee become a cumbersome 15% fee.

Right now I have paid $104 for $95 of mtgox funds, and I will have to pay ~5% transaction fee on amazon.  Luckily bitcoin value is constantly going up, so just holding on to my inventory for a week or so will usually allow me to break even
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 05:38:08 PM

What about sending a flash drive with Bitcoins on it?  Amazon or CC company couldn't claim that the item wasn't shipped, but user-driven feedback would keep your reputation in check.  Cheap flash drives can be bought for $1 or less in bulk, and you don't need any more room beyond just holding a simple text file.  Hold on to the private keys that you send, so that if a customer says their flash drive contained no bitcoins, you could retrieve the coins and resend them via email or something.
warbdan

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 05:42:25 PM

What about sending a flash drive with Bitcoins on it?  Amazon or CC company couldn't claim that the item wasn't shipped, but user-driven feedback would keep your reputation in check.  Cheap flash drives can be bought for $1 or less in bulk, and you don't need any more room beyond just holding a simple text file.  Hold on to the private keys that you send, so that if a customer says their flash drive contained no bitcoins, you could retrieve the coins and resend them via email or something.

Why don't you just sell $12, $22, and $52 flash drives? Put $10 worth of BTC on the $12 drive, etc.... That's what prepaid CC's are basically doing. Then you have a physical product as well.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 05:53:32 PM

Why don't you just sell $12, $22, and $52 flash drives? Put $10 worth of BTC on the $12 drive, etc.... That's what prepaid CC's are basically doing. Then you have a physical product as well.
Right, that's exactly what I am saying.  Or was trying to say.  Wink
warbdan

Activity: 113

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:03:57 PM

Soz, didn't see your post. At least we agree Cheesy
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:07:27 PM

Also, if cheap flash drives can be bought in bulk for $1, I can't find where.  But $3.50, at the very least.  Wink
Beirdo

Activity: 5

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:27:10 PM

There.  I put in an order, we'll see how it goes.
ammo88

Activity: 49

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:31:03 PM

Well the idea with the flashdrives is the idea that will sell the most, imo. Users with less technical experience and don't have interest enough to get invloved in Bitcoin, they are the ones. It would be a way to make bitcoin physical indirectly, or at least the bitcoin currency would get to be considered something physical by the kind of users I just described.
fishface

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 06:31:18 PM

OP is totally new to bitcoins. Why are people actually trying this out? He is going the bank to buy the coins with cash deposit and getting burned on fees... and people are buying?
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:32:50 PM

OP is totally new to bitcoins. Why are people actually trying this out? He is going the bank to buy the coins with cash deposit and getting burned on fees... and people are buying?

I think the idea is to show the OP how this is going to end in total failure, before it has to end in total failure.
dieteralex

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:59:23 PM

I very much like the idea, and i think it should work.
But what exchange rate do you use, and the one that i see when i klick on "buy" or the one you see when you ship my coins?
crispy

Activity: 30

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 07:00:43 PM

Questions for OP:
  • Where are you getting your exchange rate (USD to BTC)?
  • Do you have different rates for the $10, $20, and $50 increments?

Comments:
  • I was hoping I could pay with credit card points, but it appears not.
  • Looks like I can pay with Amazon gift cards, though.
  • The $50 denomination shows $0.00 for shipping/handling.  I think that goes with Amazon's free shipping on orders > $25.
ryann

Activity: 70

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 07:01:50 PM

I still and not sure what your packages mean. I mean how many bitcoins do you get for each package?
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 07:14:47 PM

I still and not sure what your packages mean. I mean how many bitcoins do you get for each package?
You are buying a certain number of dollars worth of BTC.

So you send him dollars and then when it comes time to send you the BTC he calculates exactly how much to send you at that time.  You do not know how many BTC you will get until he sends them because he does not know what the exchange rate will be at the time he sends you the BTC.

Where he is getting his exchange rate has already been asked but I expect it is Mt. Gox since he is sending cash to his Mt. Gox account in order to buy the BTC to send you.

Obviously you can just go to BitInstant and do this all yourself - but he has a twist on an old idea that has failed dozens of times in the past and he wants to try it so he will.

So that in the future I can say "I told you so" here is what will happen to this business:

It will work for a short time.
The scammers will find his business
They will use stolen credit cards to buy BTC
Others will simply get the BTC and then reverse the charges on their credit cards
All this money will be taken back
The OP will lose a ton of money

We have seen this pattern dozens of times.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 07:19:58 PM

BTW so far so good on the transaction.  He sent me an email through Amazon asking for my Bitcoin address, I generated one and sent it to him, so now I am just waiting for my BTC to arrive.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 07:24:55 PM

• The $50 denomination shows $0.00 for shipping/handling.  I think that goes with Amazon's free shipping on orders > $25.

There is no shipping if you go through his web site.  I went through the main amazon site and found the coins that way.  In that case there was shipping, but it does not matter as he give you BTC for the shipping charges anyway.  So, instead of buying $10 in BTC I ended up buying about $14 worth.

FLHippy

Activity: 784
    Merit: 101

View Profile
    October 09, 2012, 07:52:32 PM

Its not going to go well, countless people have tried to do the same and every single person has failed.

This is not true... I have been scammed here and there but I have not failed. Selling bitcoins with paypal or credit card can be done without failing.

I would agree that anything larger than small time sales of .5 to 5 BTC is probably going to result in an overall fail but on small scales you can mitigate your risk by paying close attention to details and being part of a scammer reporting guild.

WHALES HEAVEN
    Custody-free Swapping Platform
    ◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
    greyhawk

Activity: 938
    Merit: 1009

View Profile
    October 09, 2012, 07:56:22 PM

You've been here for about a month and no one knows you're selling Bitcoin. Small wonder you haven't failed yet.

Just wait a little longer for the failboat to arrive.
    dieteralex

View Profile
    October 09, 2012, 08:01:27 PM

why do the fixed rates not fail? what do they do for security?
    Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
      Print  

Jump to: