Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:51:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: So are you at the point of no return and fully vested into the BitCoin eco-system?  (Voting closed: June 17, 2011, 07:39:57 PM)
Yes all in! - 40 (62.5%)
No I gave up! - 1 (1.6%)
Maybe - It depends - 15 (23.4%)
Check in Later on it - 8 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 64

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How committed are you to BitCoin?  (Read 2939 times)
bitstarter (OP)

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 07:39:57 PM

So are you at the point of no return and fully vested into the BitCoin eco-system ?

Throwing all your cards in or staying back and watching the action?
 Grin

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tito13kfm

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 10:17:22 PM

I'm in about 10% of my total investments (admittedly small, but I'm poor).

I'd drop it in a heartbeat if I see a possible loss or other problem or if returns slow too much.

I don't believe in it as a currency.  There are so many glaring issues that need to be addressed that people just seem to ignore when brought up.  Also, the market is so volatile right now, I would never spend a single coin for fear it would rally again.

I treat it like I do my gold reserves.  Stockpile and dump if I see problems coming.
bitstarter (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 10:29:29 PM

I'd drop it in a heartbeat if I see a possible loss or other problem or if returns slow too much.

I don't believe in it as a currency.  There are so many glaring issues that need to be addressed that people just seem to ignore when brought up.  Also, the market is so volatile right now, I would never spend a single coin for fear it would rally again.

I treat it like I do my gold reserves.  Stockpile and dump if I see problems coming.

I couldn't agree more with your thinking. One thing I do see missing in regards to Bitcoin is the issue of trust. This is one thing you can't take away even in a p2p   "currency" system and that human element of trust. It is an issue that is overlooked  and not talked about to much here on the boards but then again we are pretty early on into this so things still have to play out!
 Grin

TradersEdgeDice

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 10:56:56 PM

Who do you work for?

Like what I posted?

Buy my Metal FX Currency Dice Set
http://tradersedgedice.com

Buyers using bitcoin get a deep discount.  Free worldwide shipping.

Web of Trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=TradersEdgeDice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

GPG Identity: http://bitcoin-otc.com/
bitstarter (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 10:59:58 PM

Who do you work for?

I'm confused this is the 2nd time you've asked me this ? Huh

AntiVigilante

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 11:13:59 PM

Who do you work for?

Trust. Get it? Irony? No. Sad.

We have web of trust.

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
bitstarter (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 11:16:08 PM

Who do you work for?

We have web of trust.

Unfortunately, he asked me on another thread not related to the topic at hand or I would consider it irony! lol 

It's more like creepy ... Shocked

niklas_a

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 11:33:09 PM

That is a very risky strategy. BitCoin could lose it's value and/or liquidity in minutes. Any trader trying to outsmart the market has to be really, really smart.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 04:15:43 AM

[/quote

Why aren't people buying coins until their marginal coin is worth the exchange price to them?

So you have 20 coins, and would not dare risk only having 19, but don't care enough to get 21?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
tito13kfm

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 07:03:22 AM

Why aren't people buying coins until their marginal coin is worth the exchange price to them?

So you have 20 coins, and would not dare risk only having 19, but don't care enough to get 21?

I consider BTC to be a very high risk investment.  My portfolio consists of Bonds, Stocks, Gold, Silver, and now BTC.  Perhaps I'm foolish for investing so little, perhaps I'm foolish for buying so much.

The worst part... I heard about BTC from a coworker in October.. I laughed... They started mining.  Silly me.
Reikoku

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

firstbits: 1kwc1p

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 09:06:42 AM

Not very, yet, but I'm about 80% confirmed buying two dual-5870 rigs this weekend for dedicated mining, so then I guess I'll be pretty committed.

Rei | 1Kwc1pqv54jCg8jvnm3Gu1dqFQYhS34Bow
Trades So Far: 7
drgr33n

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 12:52:55 PM

I'm a lot more committed than most of you guys. I can see a few problems that could pop up over the next few years and realize that bitcoins could loose value in a heartbeat but you are ignoring the fact that bitcoins have been on the increase for a while now. There is a increase for this rapid rise and its supply in demand. There's not many companies that are accepting bitcoins and I don't blame them its a risky buisness so why is there such a big demand ?

I think its got to do with the world is coming to realize that the existing systems they trust in are failing them everyday. As the trust dwindles for banks / governments people are ready to accept an alternative, Bitcoin is that alternative ! Something different, something transparent and uncontrollable. and that why people invest and the price just keeps going up and up.

It amazes me that so many people are adopting bitcoin when it still is very fragile and unpredictable. But I also think the sh%^ is about to hit the fan. I'm still a bitcoin newb and don't know the exact figures but I remember when I first heard about bitcoin at the beginning of April bitcoins were selling for around £0.70 and the total value was estimated at £9000000. Today bitcoins are selling for around £12 so in theory that's a 1614% increase in value making bitcoins total value at £145,260,000 and rising. And all this in just under two months !! It's crazy lol

Not to mention the amount of people investing in bitcoin is HUGE look how much buisness goes on over the markets. Bitcoins shift like hotcakes 24/7 ! I think there's far to many people in for the long run to cause the market to crash but I might be wrong who knows.

All I know is that I'm proud to be part of bitcoin and glad I found out about all this and invested in the good days of £0.70. Bitcoin has made me money full stop and I have a couple of very nice computers that I have acquired for free. It's been a fun and rewarding experience from the start and I'm looking forward to seeing how far this rabbit hole goes Wink  

This post should really be moved to a more appropriate thread Cheesy
Kolky

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 01:00:06 PM

I'm all in. However I'm not going to invest all my savings into it, just some small sums to make it fun. Not because I don't believe in it, but because I'm affraid that I won't be able to take all the money I've earned and use it IRL for buying goods or paying rent...
TradersEdgeDice

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 01:48:08 PM
Last edit: June 04, 2011, 02:10:25 PM by TradersEdgeDice

Who do you work for?

We have web of trust.

Unfortunately, he asked me on another thread not related to the topic at hand or I would consider it irony! lol  

If you would like to talk about creepy, your other thread was called "Introduce Yourself":
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11452.0

It generated a boat load of trusting n00b comments.

I asked who you work for.  A reasonable question as the thread title started making me hum the song "Mrs. Robinson" from the movie _The_Graduate_.

Look up the lyrics. :-)

Your second thread, this one, asks how committed I, and others, might be to bitcoin.  Is this a political movement?

I don't want to drive you away from the forum with a nasty "none of your business" response so I put the question out again: who do you work for?

It's not like you have 4000 messages to your name.  Neither do I but am not asking why are people are doing what they're doing here.

Bitcoin doesn't require trust.  Only intersecting interests at the point trade might begin.

I will not call a trend on two thread titles but they both look like psyops queries.

Or "creepy", if you will.

Like what I posted?

Web of Trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=TradersEdgeDice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

tito13kfm

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 04:36:58 PM
Last edit: June 04, 2011, 04:48:13 PM by tito13kfm

Who do you work for?

We have web of trust.

If you would like to talk about creepy, your other thread was called "Introduce Yourself":

I asked who you work for.  A reasonable question as the thread title started making me hum the song "Mrs. Robinson" from the movie _The_Graduate_.

Your second thread, this one, asks how committed I, and others, might be to bitcoin.  Is this a political movement?

I don't want to drive you away from the forum with a nasty "none of your business" response so I put the question out again: who do you work for?

It's not like you have 4000 messages to your name.  Neither do I but am not asking why are people are doing what they're doing here.

Bitcoin doesn't require trust.  Only intersecting interests at the point trade might begin.

I will not call a trend on two thread titles but they both look like psyops queries.

You have to remember that nearly every single forum online has an "Introduce yourself" thread.  It's a good way to get a post under your belt, let people know an interesting fact, and have a verifiable record in case you start to crosspost lies.

I am a 30 year old male from Ohio.  I like cats.  I came here after i heard about bitcoins for just the third time in a week.  I don't think that's creepy at all.  It's nice to put a tidbit of info to associate with a username.

Although I usually just post Sympathy for the Devil lyrics in introduce yourself threads.

Please allow me to introduce myself
Im a man of wealth and taste
Ive been around for a long, long year
Stole many a mans soul and faith
And I was round when jesus christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate
Washed his hands and sealed his fate
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game

I think asking somebody who they work for in is quite a bit more personal and creepy than asking for a sex, age, and location.

Edit: By your username and signature it's obvious who you work for.  I just find it funny that you are selling a product for $49.99 or 49.99BTC.  That's 17x the price at current market rate.  I think the dice are a cool idea, and would LOVE to see some metal D&D style dice, but at that exchange I'd rather build my own foundry, smelt the iron, and cast them myself.

Edit2: Also, if everybody responded to this thread like I did, showing that it was purely a speculative bubble then it would be a fairly strong indication to not get involved if you want to use it as a real currency.  There have been many attempts at BTC like digital currency in the past.  They have all failed.  It's nice to know what peoples expectations are before blowing a wad to purchase some.
bitstarter (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 07:23:39 PM

Who do you work for?

We have web of trust.

"Your second thread, this one, asks how committed I, and others, might be to bitcoin.  Is this a political movement?"

No, political motivation here and I work for myself ? I'm here to grow with the community I'm assuming this isn't a crime to do so? and like alot of forums have an "introduce yourself" thread ...just like the poster said above. I disagree it does require trust as we are seeing here you are questioning my motives which in turn if you did against a new technology would make people hesitant about getting into it .. everything is built on TRUST!  Grin

TradersEdgeDice

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2011, 12:20:20 AM

Welcome to the forum.

You're right but I am still not telling you my level of commitment.

:-)

Like what I posted?

bitstarter (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2011, 12:22:28 AM

Welcome to the forum.

You're right but I am still not telling you my level of commitment.

:-)

lol ...and you are perfectly in your right not to tell me your level of commitment ...it was more to find out the feel of the community and where peoples mindset is with all this!

And thanks for the welcome!  Wink

TradersEdgeDice

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2011, 03:45:12 PM

Edit: By your username and signature it's obvious who you work for.  I just find it funny that you are selling a product for $49.99 or 49.99BTC.  That's 17x the price at current market rate.  I think the dice are a cool idea, and would LOVE to see some metal D&D style dice, but at that exchange I'd rather build my own foundry, smelt the iron, and cast them myself.

Just clicked " buy now with BTC "…

Make a Payment

Pay to:    tradersedgedice
Payment Amount:    2.82 BTC (49.99 USD @ 17.71)

Nothing about 49.99 BTC.

Like what I posted?

tito13kfm

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 06:06:22 PM

Just clicked " buy now with BTC "…

Make a Payment

Pay to:    tradersedgedice
Payment Amount:    2.82 BTC (49.99 USD @ 17.71)

Nothing about 49.99 BTC.

There seems to be an issue with the website then.  When I switch the exchange to Bitcoin, the price says 49.99BTC, and if I try to add it to shopping cart it tells me "shopping cart is empty".  If I add it in USD, then switch to Bitcoin, it goes to my shopping cart but shows 49.99BTC

Here's a picture to show you what I mean.  https://i.imgur.com/wp9eG.jpg
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: