Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:29:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Please read message below before voting  (Voting closed: September 16, 2015, 01:01:56 AM)
Yes - 13 (6.5%)
No - 188 (93.5%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is escrowing for yourself using a secret alt OK?  (Read 13095 times)
Vod (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2015, 01:01:56 AM

Code:
THIS POLL WILL RUN FOR 7 DAYS
YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR VOTE AT ANY TIME

I was one of the first people to consistently push for the use of escrow, even before default trust existed.

I view escrow as a trusted third party that can act as a mediator should the buyer and seller disagree. It also prevents the seller from running off the coins, or the buyer stealing intellectual property without paying for it.

An escrow can either be free, ask for tips, or charge a flat or sliding scale. 

If the person you are trading with is also the escrow, you have no protection from intentional fraud or accidental issues.

What do you think?

YES - Earn what you can, however you can.  Doesn't matter if a service is being purchased and not provided.
NO - An escrow should be a neutral third party.  The fee paid is considered like an insurance premium for protection

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 1240

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2015, 01:06:16 AM

It is absolutely NOT ok to trick people into using escrow when it is really you hiding behind a alt account.

I will leave negative feedback for that regardless of the possibility of being punished by being removed off the DT.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 01:06:38 AM

I'd say an escrow MUST be a third-party because if you look it up in dictionary all state "third party".
if it isnt the escrower is a liar.

problems, when seller an escrow are the same person:

- trust abusing in case they left a positive rating afterwards

- if a fee is collected its effectively stealing

- in case of a dispute its not possible to make a fair and emotional free decision

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
Hexcoin

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 01:07:02 AM

i voted no, using alt account to buy or sell something and use your another account to be the escrow is like buying trust specially if the escrow is asking for fees
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2015, 01:08:06 AM

i voted no, using alt account to buy or sell something and use your another account to be the escrow is like buying trust specially if the escrow is asking for fees

And then they sell the alt account for a higher fee due to their trust.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 01:09:15 AM

The risks are exactly the same as if you do a direct trade. However if there is some kind of communication misunderstanding, and you did not clarify these details (as an escrow) then your reputation will be permanently damaged because you did not create a safe trading environment.

If you are doing a direct trade and there is a communication issue, then the answer is "sorry" and your reputation may or may not be affected based on your ability to weasel your way out of the situation.
onemorexmr

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 01:10:40 AM

The risks are exactly the same as if you do a direct trade. However if there is some kind of communication misunderstanding, and you did not clarify these details (as an escrow) then your reputation will be permanently damaged because you did not create a safe trading environment.

If you are doing a direct trade and there is a communication issue, then the answer is "sorry" and your reputation may or may not be affected based on your ability to weasel your way out of the situation.

...says the person who regularly uses himself as his own escrow for his alts...

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2015, 01:11:31 AM

Manipulating people into believing that they have paid an unbiased third party to protect them during their trade and it really being you is sketchy as FUCK.

Yofun

Activity: 462

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 01:13:48 AM

I am just going to leave this here.....

EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2015, 01:21:13 AM

I'm pretty sure 'No' is going to win. It's clear it's better for it to be a third party.
Probably we should include in the discussion how bad it is and whether it deserves negative trust.

Personally I'm convinced it's bad and would definitely not use an escrow known to have that behavior, but I wouldn't say he's a scammer and therefore I don't think a negative feedback is deserved [more].

ABitNut

Activity: 764

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 01:21:21 AM

Why is this even a question? An escrow should, by definition, be a neutral and trusted third party.

Using an alias pretending to be that is a scam because you're simply not providing escrow at all.
Sourgummies

Activity: 728

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 01:21:35 AM

This seems very obvious to me,is this leading or do we actually have a issue with established accounts using alts as escrow?

onemorexmr

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 01:23:36 AM

This seems very obvious to me,is this leading or do we actually have a issue with established accounts using alts as escrow?

yes its an issue.
QuickSeller does this regulary and some DefaultTrust Member thinks it ok and not scammy hence this poll

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 01:25:13 AM

My vote for no. I would say the escrow has to be a trusted third party.
It has nothing to do with the escrow fees - Even if the escrow is free, I would say that escrow has to be a third party.

I'm pretty sure 'No' is going to win. It's clear it's better for it to be a third party.

This poll is too insignificant for alts to get involved, but you can never be sure.  Wink
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 01:25:30 AM

Manipulating people into believing that they have paid an unbiased third party to protect them during their trade and it really being you is sketchy as FUCK.
Do you think that is all that different from choosing someone you are close friends with as an escrow? Do you think that it might be difficult for an escrow to be 100% unbiased if you are close friends with the escrow? My understanding is that you are close with Salty, and I see that you suggested using him as escrow here.

It is also my understanding that you are close to MRKLYE, to the point that (if my memory serves me right) you left a negative rating against someone who was harassing him. However he is offering your escrow services here.

There is not a 1:1 comparison between these scenarios and escrowing your own deal, however they are very similar. Additionally, it is possible that the person you are trading with may not know you are close.
Vod (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2015, 01:25:58 AM

This poll is too insignificant for alts to get involved, but you can never be sure.  Wink

Hey, I'm a grower, not a shower.   Tongue

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2015, 01:27:23 AM

Escrow should be a 3rd party with no bias. Escrowing for yourself via an alt is wrong...no exceptions in my opinion.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2015, 01:29:01 AM

It shouldn't be enforced, but it's incredibly dishonest to whoever pays for it.
I wish good faith was standard for DT list.
Hexcoin

Activity: 504

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 01:29:25 AM

Currently there are 3 that voted for YES and 25 for NO, are those 3 came from a single user using his alt accounts to save his reputation here? LOL

someone is trying to live taking fees huehue
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 01:30:14 AM

There have been 29 posts in basically as many minutes.

This is more then as many votes that another poll got in roughly 5 days. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: