Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:49:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on mid term gain Litecoin v. Bitcoin  (Read 3117 times)
Nolo (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 03:36:59 PM

Would it be more profitable to keep funds in Bitcoins or Litecoins?  The past couple of weeks have looked very bullish for Litecoins.

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 04:21:06 PM
Last edit: October 10, 2012, 04:48:33 PM by Spekulatius

Idk, there are no true advantages for litecoin over bitcoin that I can see.. so longterm, given bitcoins head start I think litecoin will fade away. Short or Midterm however some new developments like litecoindice and whatnot can probably contribute to appreciation in price.
Also, litecoin or namecoin prove to be pretty good hedging instruments during bitcoin down trends.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 04:44:20 PM

Litecoins will eventually die.  Namecoin is much better than Litecoin.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 05:32:58 PM

Interesting to see the same arguments brought up against bitcoin are used here. Way to be a hypocrite.

Butthurt?
Nolo (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 05:44:25 PM

Any logic or reasoning behind this thought? 

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 06:15:58 PM

No, not really.  Just my gut.  Maybe I'm wrong.
Nolo (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 06:55:29 PM

Well dang.  I was hoping you had some insight that I haven't seen before.  Right now I tend to buy into the line of thinking that BTC = Gold, and LTC = Silver.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 06:57:36 PM

I just don't see the point of using Litecoin instead of Bitcoin.  What is the point of Litecoin even existing, when Bitcoin can already do everything Litecoin can do?
Cablez
Legendary

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 07:03:09 PM

I just don't see the point of using Litecoin instead of Bitcoin.  What is the point of Litecoin even existing, when Bitcoin can already do everything Litecoin can do?

And that is the kicker........+1

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
gimme_bottles

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 07:41:39 PM

thats why namecoin will last longer than litecoin. it has a point that bitcoin doesn't have.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 08:34:57 PM

The only real plus is the block times! There's just something nice about having a fully confirmed transaction in 20 mins or so.

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 09:54:13 PM

The only real plus is the block times! There's just something nice about having a fully confirmed transaction in 20 mins or so.

I don't get this.  20 minutes of hash-power securing the chain is still only that much hash-power that an adversary needs to work against.
All this is doing is lowering the chain's security level of what is called 'fully confirmed' surely.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 10:05:09 PM

I just don't see the point of using Litecoin instead of Bitcoin.  What is the point of Litecoin even existing, when Bitcoin can already do everything Litecoin can do?

I don't get this.  20 minutes of hash-power securing the chain is still only that much hash-power that an adversary needs to work against.
All this is doing is lowering the chain's security level of what is called 'fully confirmed' surely.

What matters is the first confirmation, because of usually exessive hasing power this means that for almost all transactions one confirmation is sufficent. An ideal cryptocurrency would even provide a confirmation after a fraction of a second, it would just need someone to come up with a clever trick so the system is scaleable and efficient.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 10:08:43 PM

I think LTC still has some life in it, and it could end up getting stuck into an inverse price relationship with bitcoin, which would be interesting.  I don't see any reason to think of it as a serious contender against bitcoin.  I bought a bunch a while back as a gamble to recover my bitcoinica losses and I've almost done so.  FWIW, I sold about 20k LTC this morning for BTC.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:04:36 PM

Well dang.  I was hoping you had some insight that I haven't seen before.  Right now I tend to buy into the line of thinking that BTC = Gold, and LTC = Silver.

Bitcoin is Bitcoin's silver.   Rather than marketing speak think about why silver (and copper) coins were created in the first place.  Why wasn't just gold always used for everything from a Kings ransom to a poor man's meal?  Does Bitcoin have that limitation?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:10:40 PM

I just don't see the point of using Litecoin instead of Bitcoin.  What is the point of Litecoin even existing, when Bitcoin can already do everything Litecoin can do?

I don't get this.  20 minutes of hash-power securing the chain is still only that much hash-power that an adversary needs to work against.

What matters is the first confirmation, because of usually exessive hasing power this means that for almost all transactions one confirmation is sufficent. An ideal cryptocurrency would even provide a confirmation after a fraction of a second, it would just need someone to come up with a clever trick so the system is scaleable and efficient.
Spellcheck dude.

While I agree that the first confirmation is what matters, litecoin's 2 minute blocks don't provide much true advantage over bitcoin's 10 minute blocks.  If litecoin had 10 second blocks or less, then we might be talking.  And actually, I'd love to see someone try that (with maybe 2 second blocks) just to see how it works with the Bitcoin protocol as-is.  Block headers really aren't that large, so I don't think there'd be a huge file size difference between the two.  Chains would obviously fight each other to be longest here and there, tons of orphan blocks, etc, but ultimately, a person's transaction is going to be confirmed very quickly, even if it is confirmed and reversed a couple of times before being truly set in stone.

So, back to litecoin vs bitcoin.  2 minutes is still far too long for any reasonable point of sale operation to wait, so despite the advantage on the surface, I can't think of any scenarios where this offers a large advantage over Bitcoin.  2 minutes is still a long and awkward time to wait.
labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:11:43 PM
Last edit: October 10, 2012, 11:22:59 PM by labestiol

Litecoins will eventually die.  Namecoin is much better than Litecoin.

No, not really.  Just my gut.  Maybe I'm wrong.

There is something to this. Namecoin is build to be a database (of DNS primarily, but other things could/will emerge, like a name->btc address).
Litecoin is just an attempt to solve the "slow" confirmation problem, while it doesn't solve the "instant" confirmation problem needed (for which the solution already exist, namely green addresses).
So I agree with jimbobway. Namecoin is much better than Litecoin (imho).

Namecoin is a share in this decentralized database, which will (perhaps) grow.
Litecoin is a solution to a fake problem.

Just my 2 satoshis

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:26:21 PM

I recommend Ixcoin over Litecoin.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 01:11:22 AM

One thing going for litecoin is that, well it does use another method for blockchain hashing.
In itself that isn't that great, but it is worth something because it enables you to even hedge the risk of some issues with SHA-2.

Before I am ridiculed for that statement: Have you noticed the announcement about SHA-3?
Yeah the contest is finished, and as I mentioned before there will come the time where cryptoanalysts in academics can hack at it without some three letter agency representative showing up at campus.
That is not certain to have any effect, but it might have...

IMO the SHA-3 contest ending is probably the most fundamental explanation for the push in litecoin valuation.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 01:33:18 AM

i think litecoin would have a use even if it were an absolutely identical clone of bitcoin.

the thing that it can do that bitcoin cannot, is it can help you diversify away from bitcoin, while not converting to fiat.

that alone is worth something.

i much prefer btc/ltc/btc speculation than any other pairs involving fiat.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: