Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:34:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: With GLBSE gone, can somebody PLEASE write something like this or better?  (Read 4811 times)
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 06:11:31 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2012, 06:33:02 PM by nedbert9

I think Open Transactions may be a hell of an overkill for this.

I believe that #assets-otc or #otc-assets project does pretty much what you describe in your original specs minus any automated trading capacity ie open bid/ask.

I would much prefer the flexibility of trading market functionality over an OTC functionality.  

The colored Bitcoin idea sounds interesting, as long as it exists alongside Bitcoin, not as a part of it, but, again, it may be overkill for a whole new block chain just for this.

The beauty of "colored bitcoins" is that it can exist within bitcoin without any change to the protocol (it only requires a client that can recognize the "colors" by searching the block chain) so there is absolutely no need for another block chain.

Colored coin is an interesting idea that leverages proven blockchain.  IIRC, it would not require an alt-chain.  But how can CC be used for open market trading and not just OTC transactions?

Decentralizing record of ownership/brokers/dealers, which is the general direction being proposed, makes an open trading market somewhat more difficult.

Re: OT.  What I like about OT is that it already has P2P asset transfers + a trading market.  I'm not sure how mature, robust or resistant to attack this market functionality would be.

It is certainly possible to have a single GUI for Nym management and stock market.  My only doubt is that OT creates it's own set of virtual assets for trading.  Those virtual assets would be backed by BTC and BTC would have to flow in/out of the OT system.

Re:  Trust.  What's nice about digitally signed p2p asset transfers is that parties can prove ownership in cases of malfeasance.  A centralized record of ownership, in the example case being held by the asset issuer, creates an opportunity for fraud that the public would be unable to scrutinize.  This wouldn't be an effective measure for wholesale fraud (as you point out would be an inherent risk in any of the approaches), but for individual cases where either party can prove ownership or payment with signatures.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
killerstorm
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 08:31:12 PM

IANAL, but in 'merica the problem seems to be that it's illegal to issue securities to the public (only licensed brokers can trade securities between each other) and it seems to be illegal for people to audit public companies unless they are a CPA. I'm sure there is some regulation against an unlicensed individual or group being a rating agency too.

So, the system may need to eliminate reliance on trust altogether until people start legitimate (which means lawfully compliant) companies in all these sectors.

1. Then companies outside of 'merica will have an edge.

2. Just don't call it "securities" and don't call it "companies". (See below.)

3. Again, auditor can be anywhere on the internet.

4. So you say if you compile a list of companies with ratings it is a crime? Holy shit. Do it over Tor then. Nobody gives a fuck about your real identity, all what matters is track record.

5. I don't think it's really possible to eliminate reliance on trust for all but few specific sectors.

If you don't want any legal protection for shareholders, simply say that it is a game and do not sign any contracts. Oh, this game items are traded for money? Well, I heard that WoW items are valuable too, but I doubt they are regulated.

If you want some legal protection for shareholders, but you do not want to issue securities, you can do it this way: Release an informal contract which would describe nature of securities, but it won't be signed, so it will effectively be same thing as "game items". Also you will make another contract which would acknowledge your debt to shareholders/bondholders, this contract will be properly signed. Something like "I owe %this% amount to people who can be identified in %such% way". Essentially, it is IOU. I doubt it qualifies as security. Anyway, only a trusted 3rd party (something like audit company) will have access to this contact, it won't be released to public. If shit hits fan, i.e. issuer defaults and shareholders won't to extract money from him, "auditor" will make contract public and so shareholders can demand their money legally.

But BEFORE shit hits fan all regulators can accuse you of is that there are some game items, traded in some weird cryptographic way, which might have some connection with what you do. Good luck with that.

Suppose you are, in fact, a 'merican company which wants to issue shares in crypto way. No way to do that? Think again.

First, it should be a private company. A part of it should be owned by an offshore trust(?) company, e.g. something on Cayman Islands. That offshore company will issue crypto shares, and will represent rights of crypto shareholders. Normally, dividends from private 'merican company will go to offshore company and from it to crypto shareholders. If something goes wrong offshore company can do something about it.

The only risk here is that offshore company will go rogue, but I imagine you can secure it same way you secure trust companies. Just say that beneficiaries are identified through a crypto protocol...

Chromia: a better dapp platform
killerstorm
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 08:43:05 PM

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_structure
and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discretionary_trust
and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_trusts

Apparently nefarious activities were known well before Bitcoin, who would have guessed so...

killerstorm
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 08:57:42 PM

Colored coin is an interesting idea that leverages proven blockchain.  IIRC, it would not require an alt-chain.  But how can CC be used for open market trading and not just OTC transactions?

Basically, there is a way to do it Smiley Basically, colored coins make trade secure, and so there is an easy way to automate such trade. (I.e. if it's secure anyway we don't need to hand-pick whom to trade with.

For a longer answer see here, second part particularly: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/110scc/glbse_closes_frauds_investors_might_be_facing/c6ijun1

fellowtraveler

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 07:36:01 PM

You probably heard that GLBSE went down recently. I am hoping someone out there can code software that uses BTC address signed contracts and allows companies to issue and track their own stock shares instead of relying on a single third party. In short:

1) Company announces a number of shares for sale.
2) Users bid on shares
3) Once bidders win, they pay for shares, and their BTC addresses become the owners/signature for their shares. I.e. shares are tied to a BTC address, not to users.
4) Company issuing the shares stores the ledger that states "Bitcoin address X owns so many shares," and any dividends get paid directly to those addresses
5) If a user wants to sell/transfer their stock, he sends a transaction message signed by the BTC address that owns those shares, telling the company ledger that the sold shares now belong to a different address
6) Company updates their ledger, and pays dividends to the new address.

This way
- you only have to trust the company issuing shares (and if you can't, you wouldn't buy those shares anyway)
- there are no costs associated with registering or trading stocks unless the issuing company takes a fee themselves
- stocks traded on the open market can be traded through third party auction houses similar to and as simple as eBay style bidding, and can be traded privately among users using OTC.
- shares can be sold by any company in any country, without concern about what regulatory jurisdiction a specific exchange falls under.

I wouldn't think something like this would be TOO difficult, since it doesn't even rely on Bitcoin transactions and blockchain, just signed messages and any means to see what address payments came from. Comments/suggestions/improvements?

Using Open-Transactions, you would still have to build your website or user client (we only have a test GUI and a command line utility.) But OT would save you a lot of work and re-inventing the wheel that you would otherwise additionally end up having to do.

OT provides an easy API for financial transactions, specifically allowing you to:

--- Issue a currency or shares. (Similar to GLBSE I'm sure.)
--- Trade account balances on markets against other asset types. (Similar to MtGox or other market exchanges. I assume GLBSE as well.)
--- Pay funds between users (with or without accounts, since a variety of instruments are available, including cash.)
--- All account balances are unforgeable and the server cannot change them without the user signing-off first. (This all happens behind the scenes as you perform your transactions.)
--- Dividends are functional now, and are paid as a cheque sent to the inbox for any Nyms who are shareholders. (Based on number of shares owned.)

After all transactions, each user has the "last signed receipt" which proves the balance of his account. (Even if the server disappears...)

I think Open Transactions may be a hell of an overkill for this. Since a single entity is being invested in, that single entity can be the centralized source that keeps all the ledgers and keeps track of all transactions. It doesn't really matter if they decide to change their system or use a different database, either, since all that they have to store is "Address so-and-so owns so many shares, until we get a BTC signed message to tell us otherwise." And if the company goes down, it won't matter which exchange manages the stocks, since they would be worthless. Admittedly, I am only barely familiar with Open Transactions. I just could never figure out the point of using a second layer to send Bitcoin to someone when you can just send Bitcoin directly. Maybe there is a module in OT that already does most of what I described?

Regarding not being able to change someone's balance, I'm not sure why that is required. A centralized exchange can also arbitrarily change people's balances, though that would not be very, um, nice. And not having restrictions on changing balances means a company that controls the stock can do stock splits etc. without needing permission from everyone.

The point is, yes, there would be a single point of failure, and a single entity to trust, but that point of failure and trust is also the company being invested in, meaning the trust is redundant. If you can't trust the company to do basic accounting, you likely shouldn't trust them with your investment. And to get something like this off the ground, I imagine all that's needed is a simple database, and a not-so-simple front-end.

You are correct that a single entity could act as the "issuer" for any given stock, and manage the books offline without needing any software.

OT manages the lower-level details for you, such as account security and balances, market trades, paying dividends, etc. You could also do all that stuff by hand if you really wanted to. But OT's API is pretty easy to use, if you check it out. It will probably only save you a lot of time and effort.

The reason for using a second layer is because you get instant transactions, and you get a variety of instruments (including market trades.)

>"Maybe there is a module in OT that already does most of what I described?"

Yes, I believe it does everything described above, although OT currently doesn't directly do anything on the blockchain itself. You will have to make your own scripts to interface between the two.

He lied.
I don't think so. He had clear vision about the future of GLBSE. Problems must came after the conference.
No he didn't. It needs 4 glbse shareholders to decrypt the database backups in the event of nefarios death. There is nothing in place prior to this in case nefario was lent on by the government and the 4 shareholders disagree on whether hes been compromised or not.

Nefario always seemed cool to me, I'm curious to find out what happened.

Regarding "needing 4 shareholders to decrypt the database" I think using OT this wouldn't be necessary, since all users would already hold their "last signed receipt" by which balances can be proven.

I think Open Transactions may be a hell of an overkill for this.

I believe that #assets-otc or #otc-assets project does pretty much what you describe in your original specs minus any automated trading capacity ie open bid/ask.

I would much prefer the flexibility of trading market functionality over an OTC functionality.  

Re: OT.  What I like about OT is that it already has P2P asset transfers + a trading market.  I'm not sure how mature, robust or resistant to attack this market functionality would be.

It is certainly possible to have a single GUI for Nym management and stock market.  My only doubt is that OT creates it's own set of virtual assets for trading.  Those virtual assets would be backed by BTC and BTC would have to flow in/out of the OT system.

Re:  Trust.  What's nice about digitally signed p2p asset transfers is that parties can prove ownership in cases of malfeasance.  A centralized record of ownership, in the example case being held by the asset issuer, creates an opportunity for fraud that the public would be unable to scrutinize.  This wouldn't be an effective measure for wholesale fraud (as you point out would be an inherent risk in any of the approaches), but for individual cases where either party can prove ownership or payment with signatures.

OT has real markets with bid/ask offers and automated trading.

All trades are accompanied by a server-signed receipt (which includes the user's original signed offer.) These receipts also prove the user's current balance.

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 10:04:49 PM

Yes, I believe it does everything described above, although OT currently doesn't directly do anything on the blockchain itself. You will have to make your own scripts to interface between the two.

And supplies a scripting environment, "opentxs" for high-level CLI interface with OT API.

Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 10:30:29 PM

Sooo I guess its time to make a P2P Stock Exchange hehe Smiley Where do we begin Cheesy
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 11:45:14 PM

Sooo I guess its time to make a P2P Stock Exchange hehe Smiley Where do we begin Cheesy

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=117080.0

and likely using

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77301.0

(For example if you use WIndows, a pre-build binary is available there.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 07:50:32 AM

There might be some clues for running a resilient front end at http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-moves-to-the-cloud-becomes-raid-proof-121017/

...“If one cloud-provider cuts us off, goes offline or goes bankrupt, we can just buy new virtual servers from the next provider. Then we only have to upload the VM-images and reconfigure the load-balancer to get the site up and running again.” ...
The load balancer and transit-routers are still owned and operated by The Pirate Bay, which allows the site to hide the location of the cloud provider. It also helps to secure the privacy of the site’s users.

The hosting providers have no idea that they’re hosting The Pirate Bay, and even in the event they found out it would be impossible for them to gather data on the users.

“All communication with users goes through TPB’s load balancer, which is a disk-less server with all the configuration in RAM. The load balancer is not in the same country as the transit-router or the cloud servers,” The Pirate Bay told us.

“The communication between the load balancer and the virtual servers is encrypted. So even if a cloud provider found out they’re running TPB, they can’t look at the content of user traffic or user’s IP-addresses.” .........................................
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: