March 29, 2024, 02:36:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: none
. - 0 (0%)
. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 148 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 🌱[ANN] SOIL | Environmental | Agriculture | Smart Contracts | Sustainable  (Read 237553 times)
GoldenEye

Activity: 601
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 09:30:06 PM

To the developers:

On Windows 8.1 I have Ethereum Go (geth.exe) wallet running and accepting RPC on default port.
When I start Soil Go wallet on the same computer it exits with an error:

Code:
Fatal: Error String IPC: Access is denied.

If I stop ethreum (>exit) then gsoil starts without any issues.

I tried the same thing with Expanse and it starts just fine when Ethereum is already running.
So both wallets are running - you might want to fix that before launch.

Please check the IPC path (settings tab). I'm pretty sure that you'll find there the IPC file from Ethereum. EDIT: which is in use by the geth process
The right setting should be <userprofile>/.soil/gsoil.ipc on Linux, Windows similar.

This will only help temporarily. The reason is, that the soil wallet uses the same configuration file as ethereum (~/.config/Etherdiene/Etherwall.conf).
If you change it in Etherwall (soil), it will be changed in Etherwall (eth) also.  Sad
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GoldenEye

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 09:38:57 PM

But now, what is surprising me is that I see

(a) all those 30303 on the other side. (Perhaps that is actually the reason for the above mentioned conflict when running ethereum & soil on the same machine?)

and

(b) all those ports 49295 46012 35640 55404 ... on my machine active. Haven't I only allowed 39338 ? Does every peer get a new port on my machine?

(a) very strange, could be that gsoil tries to connect eth peers (port 30303)? To be adapted in the eth sources. 

(b) port 39338 is only allowed for incoming connections. If your server connects other peers, the local port is random: all ok.
altsheets
Legendary

Activity: 902
Merit: 1001

Free trial of #AltFolio = save time, react faster

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2015, 09:51:46 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2015, 10:08:11 PM by altsheets

(a) all those 30303 on the other side. (Perhaps that is actually the reason for the above mentioned conflict when running ethereum & soil on the same machine?)
and
(a) very strange, could be that gsoil tries to connect eth peers (port 30303)? To be adapted in the eth sources.  
Yes, that is what I was thinking. And why I reported it.

Perhaps someone starts it without the / with a wrong --networkid=39338 ? Or is running older code?

(b) all those ports 49295 46012 35640 55404 ... on my machine active. Haven't I only allowed 39338 ? Does every peer get a new port on my machine?
(b) port 39338 is only allowed for incoming connections. If your server connects other peers, the local port is random: all ok.
Thanks.

Much appreciated, GoldenEye!

I also tried out a stricter chain policy "... -P OUTPUT DROP" - but then gsoil only started, and afterwards stayed silent, no sync connections. And no "gsoil attach" possible.
What would I do about random ports ... if I want to lock down the firewall completely, with
Code:
sudo iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 39338 -j ACCEPT
instead of the (working, "all ok.") current solution:
Code:
sudo iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
?

All not super-relevant right now, I know that.
But this is still on testnet - so why not also solve security questions, once and for all time ... right?

AltFolio = Altcoin Portfolio solution || AAsset = crowdfunding, dividends paying = profit sharing Assets on NXT || Newbium great new platform || AssetGraphs = novel GUI to assets & shareholders (won nxthacks2015!) || ABEE = Block Explorer Extension for ETH clones, live on SOIL || Advice = Consulting || assetparser.py and shareholders.py - tools for NXT/HZ asset buyers & issuers || bamm.py || PeerCrawler || PGP || Texts || Github e.g. ChainCountDown, ethjsre |||| /give/ GiveBackLicense /give/ |||| Looking for an affordable crypto advertisement service with adspaces on crypto-attractive websites, contact me, thx.
altsheets
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2015, 10:02:29 PM

Anyways ...

During my firewall experiments I succeeded to lock myself out twice *g* so I had to start over

--> my address, and enode are different now. The old address is lost. These are the new values:

IP
Code:

enode
Code:
enode://b991afe4cc439d3382b2502b7269ffe85289f5f0f2226c1bae698b5691314696243dbfe72917bbfd3fe56389732061720ecec3a4fa33581298677cecbec7725b@178.62.133.174:39338

Please: can you try adding me, if you get a connection to my node?
Code:
admin.addPeer('enode://b991afe4cc439d3382b2502b7269ffe85289f5f0f2226c1bae698b5691314696243dbfe72917bbfd3fe56389732061720ecec3a4fa33581298677cecbec7725b@178.62.133.174:39338')

address (has changed too)
Code:
0xa182c58ee6c9f3f64dba468cbc7a4dbdcc654530

Dev, please update your list, thx.

AltFolio = Altcoin Portfolio solution || AAsset = crowdfunding, dividends paying = profit sharing Assets on NXT || Newbium great new platform || AssetGraphs = novel GUI to assets & shareholders (won nxthacks2015!) || ABEE = Block Explorer Extension for ETH clones, live on SOIL || Advice = Consulting || assetparser.py and shareholders.py - tools for NXT/HZ asset buyers & issuers || bamm.py || PeerCrawler || PGP || Texts || Github e.g. ChainCountDown, ethjsre |||| /give/ GiveBackLicense /give/ |||| Looking for an affordable crypto advertisement service with adspaces on crypto-attractive websites, contact me, thx.
GoldenEye

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 10:08:44 PM

and
Yes, that is what I was thinking. And why I reported it.

Thanks.

Much appreciated, GoldenEye!

I also tried out a stricter chain policy "... -P OUTPUT DROP" - but then gsoil only started, and afterwards stayed silent, no sync connections. And no "gsoil attach" possible.
What would I do about random ports ... if I want to lock down the firewall completely, with
Code:
sudo iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 39338 -j ACCEPT
instead of the (working, "all ok.") current solution:
Code:
sudo iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
?

All not super-relevant right now, I know that.
But this is still on testnet - so why not also solve security questions, once and for all time ... right?

If you drop all outgoing connections, then your server cannot find any peer.
Because (normally) no one knows your server (except manually peers with admin.addPeer()), you will also have no connections from outside. "No connection" is the expected result.
If you allow only connections to port 39338, this could work, but I'm not sure.
I would not do this on a server, because system updates, etc will not work...
Bojcha

Activity: 848

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 10:09:45 PM

Ok finally found problem on windows. There was some winsock problems.
gsoil is running, wallet working...

now, how to test gpu mining?
abvhiael

Activity: 722
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 10:14:55 PM

Can you please address my issue with running both Ethereum and Soil on the same Windows machine?
[/quote]

ill try out the situation this evening and see what i can do. as far as i know, you can mine ethereum, and thus soil, with two instances concurrently, both CPU with the geth (or gsoil) applicatoin and gpu mining with the ethminer software. it conceivably should work ining ETH with one instance, and SOIL with the other. both central programs would need to be running (geth and gsoil) but id think youd be able to CPU mine on one while GPU ming the other coin with ethminer. like i said, ill try it tonite and report my findings.

im really not a programmer, by ANY stretch of the imagination, im more an idea guy and outreach sorta fella. i understand the underlying principles behind the ethereum platform that we are building SOIL with, im frankly very excited by the possibilities with where we can take it, which is why i signed up with soil in the first place. i believe in the platform, and i believe in the core developers ability to achieve the vision he began with. im a good marketer, but up unti a few weeks ago, i was growing white hairs on my chest trying to get bfgminer to work for me. (chuckles)

i know that the innovations soil is working on, his GUI wallet and where he wants to take that will change things up and in that i think hes many phases beyond the ethereum team right now. we have the committment to take this thing on for the long term, and we're not premining 800 million coins (i know,i exaggerate the ethereum premine/presale thing) theres a long term vision for SOIL and development will continue long after the initial launch, its an evolutionary process.

anywho, ill let you know what im able to do regarding ETH and SOIL at the same time.
GoldenEye

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 10:14:58 PM

Code:
admin.addPeer('enode://b991afe4cc439d3382b2502b7269ffe85289f5f0f2226c1bae698b5691314696243dbfe72917bbfd3fe56389732061720ecec3a4fa33581298677cecbec7725b@178.62.133.174:39338')

I'm connected to your server  Smiley
{
    Caps: "eth/60, eth/61",
    ID: "b991afe4cc439d3382b2502b7269ffe85289f5f0f2226c1bae698b5691314696243dbfe72917bbf d3fe56389732061720ecec3a4fa33581298677cecbec7725b",
    LocalAddress: "172.31.17.16:39338",
    Name: "Gsoil/v1.1.3-7443f0f8/linux/go1.4.2",
    RemoteAddress: "178.62.133.174:48599"
}
GoldenEye

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 10:19:43 PM

Can you please address my issue with running both Ethereum and Soil on the same Windows machine?

ill try out the situation this evening and see what i can do. as far as i know, you can mine ethereum, and thus soil, with two instances concurrently, both CPU with the geth (or gsoil) applicatoin and gpu mining with the ethminer software. it conceivably should work ining ETH with one instance, and SOIL with the other. both central programs would need to be running (geth and gsoil) but id think youd be able to CPU mine on one while GPU ming the other coin with ethminer. like i said, ill try it tonite and report my findings.

im really not a programmer, by ANY stretch of the imagination, im more an idea guy and outreach sorta fella. i understand the underlying principles behind the ethereum platform that we are building SOIL with, im frankly very excited by the possibilities with where we can take it, which is why i signed up with soil in the first place. i believe in the platform, and i believe in the core developers ability to achieve the vision he began with. im a good marketer, but up unti a few weeks ago, i was growing white hairs on my chest trying to get bfgminer to work for me. (chuckles)

i know that the innovations soil is working on, his GUI wallet and where he wants to take that will change things up and in that i think hes many phases beyond the ethereum team right now. we have the committment to take this thing on for the long term, and we're not premining 800 million coins (i know,i exaggerate the ethereum premine/presale thing) theres a long term vision for SOIL and development will continue long after the initial launch, its an evolutionary process.

anywho, ill let you know what im able to do regarding ETH and SOIL at the same time.

please see my post above:

To the developers:

On Windows 8.1 I have Ethereum Go (geth.exe) wallet running and accepting RPC on default port.

Code:

I tried the same thing with Expanse and it starts just fine when Ethereum is already running.

Please check the IPC path (settings tab). I'm pretty sure that you'll find there the IPC file from Ethereum. EDIT: which is in use by the geth process
The right setting should be <userprofile>/.soil/gsoil.ipc on Linux, Windows similar.

This will only help temporarily. The reason is, that the soil wallet uses the same configuration file as ethereum (~/.config/Etherdiene/Etherwall.conf).
If you change it in Etherwall (soil), it will be changed in Etherwall (eth) also.  Sad

altsheets
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2015, 10:20:46 PM

If you drop all outgoing connections, then your server cannot find any peer.
Because (normally) no one knows your server (except manually peers with admin.addPeer()), you will also have no connections from outside. "No connection" is the expected result.
If you allow only connections to port 39338, this could work, but I'm not sure.
One day, someone (or me) will find a solution, I am sure :-)
Perhaps I could open a range of 100 ports, that gsoil also knows about ... or something like that.

I would not do this on a server, because system updates, etc will not work...
Oh, I actually solved all that.  Even with "sudo iptables -P OUTPUT DROP".
Was a bit of puzzling, but found a nice script that I could adapt, make a bit less restrictive, and then extend.

Now only specific outgoing connections are allowed - and their return packets, too.
And all (e.g. apt-get update, etc) is still working!

Of course, I need quite a few
Code:
-A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport $outport  -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT  -p tcp --sport $outport  -m state --state ESTABLISHED     -j ACCEPT
- but that's what for-loops are for :-)

Having said all that, with that restricted approach ... I cannot get soil running yet,
Giving up for now. To be solved later :-)

Thanks a lot, GoldenEye!

I'm connected to your server  Smiley

Yippieh :-)

Thx!

abvhiael

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 10:24:15 PM

im running win 10, so unsure how this would work on win7, but in the V4 package, there should be a "start_gpu_mining.bat" in the main directory. start gsoil up first, let it load up to the line that starts out with "modules:" and then launch the gpu mining .bat file. you can start your cpu mining in gsoil concurrently with "miner.start(#)" in the console, with # being the number of threads you want to work with (as far as i understand it, and remember im less than technically savvy) the number of threads is the same as the number of processors your CPU possesses. i have a quad core processor so i usually put a 4 in there. experiment with it a bit. hope that helps.
GoldenEye

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 10:26:09 PM

Thanks a lot, GoldenEye!

You are welcome
jjjordan

Activity: 271
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 10:29:14 PM

please see my post above:

To the developers:

Code:

I am confused... I don't use Etherewall and have no .ipc files. Just a gsoil.exe (everything else is bat files or genesis.json).
So I am guessing this needs to be done before compiling.
Bojcha

Activity: 848

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 10:30:40 PM

im running win 10, so unsure how this would work on win7, but in the V4 package, there should be a "start_gpu_mining.bat" in the main directory. start gsoil up first, let it load up to the line that starts out with "modules:" and then launch the gpu mining .bat file. you can start your cpu mining in gsoil concurrently with "miner.start(#)" in the console, with # being the number of threads you want to work with (as far as i understand it, and remember im less than technically savvy) the number of threads is the same as the number of processors your CPU possesses. i have a quad core processor so i usually put a 4 in there. experiment with it a bit. hope that helps.
ok Thanks... need to find that v4 (found it) and check. Cpu mining working just testing my 3 of 4 cores and all is fine. No block yet tho...
altsheets
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2015, 10:35:51 PM

Done:
Code:
I0920 02:44:41.984083     692 ethash.go:219] Done generating DAG for epoch 1, it took 45m41.362427387s
DAG generation is 45minutes... Dang, are you running this on arduino?!
No. It is a VPS, in the cloud. With 'cpulimit -b -e gsoil -l 50'. And this time it took even longer *g*
Code:
I0920 22:28:47.369102    2883 ethash.go:219] Done generating DAG for epoch 1, it took 1h1m17.903330378s
And I have a an impressive CPU-mining hashrate:
Code:
so at difficulty
Code:
every 201396th block should be mine *g*

Someone out there must be using GPUs for mining  ... Wink

GoldenEye

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 10:36:24 PM

I am confused... I don't use Etherewall and have no .ipc files. Just a gsoil.exe (everything else is bat files or genesis.json).
So I am guessing this needs to be done before compiling.

Ok, my error. This are unix sockets, not available on windows. Can you post a screenshot of the Etherwall (EDIT: Soil GUI) settings tab?
GoldenEye

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 10:41:23 PM

Do you mean the GUI wallet or the gsoil console?
abvhiael

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 11:00:16 PM

ok Thanks... need to find that v4 (found it) and check. Cpu mining working just testing my 3 of 4 cores and all is fine. No block yet tho...

[/quote]

it took me a long time to find a block, too. even with a brand new computer with quad-core and a radeon r5 graphics card, i cant normally find a block of ANYTHING. ive had my soil instances running on my computer for an hour right now, and havent found one. yesterday, i found two in the first five minutes. i dont have a mining rig, cant afford one just now (ive got a five year old with a yen for hockey thats eating away at my budget) and once we launch, ill probably just mine on the suprnova pool. ive been mining SHF and EXP there and making enough to make me content.
jjjordan

Activity: 271
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 11:06:42 PM

Do you mean the GUI wallet or the gsoil console?
If I meant GUI, I would've said so... Smiley
And by the way, as far as I know there is no GUI wallet - there is GUI to the gsoil.exe, am I correct?

So short answer - console.
soil (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

SOILteam

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2015, 11:07:17 PM

anyone experienced in iptables?

when I lock it down, with

Code:
sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 39338 -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -A INPUT -j DROP

sudo iptables -S

sudo invoke-rc.d iptables-persistent save
sudo iptables-save > /etc/iptables/rules.v4

and add the peers with
Code:
gsoil attach

admin.addPeer('enode://0c0ce5d1b95de13732faa98d0ea5d6acafabdf2ec56104a52ffb7f34ee2fa08bb09524cd6e9c28ba5a57a84ec0352fd52a3065ea6af51967afba78537412b3c4@45.63.84.6:39338')
admin.addPeer('enode://20b058d1e867b665f6e698100325f68e07ebface3ebef6aaacc5b00b7b77c10fc338e7863e933a497ae1b85d2f2a7b7b59d18d0eb48f05eb92d7d1a947399b31@113.161.82.243:39338')
admin.addPeer('enode://24e1e3b7bba2b0de7707dcc957faf541b87e99a665ff6cf93a1d6b60c2f65603dc69b14e97eb1e3219fa52bd26a27bb26957c0126da154a4895fc4ef873bac54@45.32.239.236:39338')
admin.addPeer('enode://a076e6e4f86f00074729a8473e3b3799208648f5952b1cd8df2c8b61816f44289b1cc6bb4d6116d0f48447f38540d5b2891aaea8062895c9867a0818bb6ec2f5@138.128.169.51:39338')
admin.addPeer('enode://2214963c7bb2fb98c0edefa09ebc46c5fbcb5055c7fdd884d90e6b8ed8acb6568f1f035b25e609346e09f681323be60b5998dc49f02582dd78f766e31679e2e5@45.32.232.65:39338')
admin.addPeer('enode://30bd5e679759792be064edef05d5195889337294af1788072e4ad8bed6ea8bb559f00e8a43f275e945aacc5aed8117d950f79057bc7675742eacbf937f68393e@52.25.0.225:39338')
admin.addPeer('enode://fb2bc8add1af21cb0f34710a3ded14a003da44a5e7cc80f963e46f417fc0a31d94bb5a25b62ff13b3e07df950028b85f0589e7eef3d46d5abeb2a32b0d051475@46.101.231.134:39338')
admin.addPeer('enode://d482c87d6085fe3f303d2a3a8d25937eda09f75713610dd68c475031c110e658da78fa207574c370e4f6121aed21d77a2e73a4ddab8af50aaeb6cf4672f5fe5c@178.62.133.174:39338')
admin.addPeer('enode://5daffbd838b3745d17b202505f3c5d89f4926e5b0642123c1fbd1f0ce655c83242514ce13dc9ab4d7a0fa612ab8934525eec6265eaf19c7b3c10a61f77869a1e@95.170.180.71:39338')

After a while, I get these connections

Code:
sudo netstat -atpn | grep gsoil
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:39339         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1466/gsoil
tcp        0      1 178.62.133.174:49295    195.212.29.91:30303     SYN_SENT    1466/gsoil
tcp        0      1 178.62.133.174:46012    113.161.82.243:39338    SYN_SENT    1466/gsoil
tcp        0      1 178.62.133.174:35640    192.161.57.159:30303    SYN_SENT    1466/gsoil
tcp        0      1 178.62.133.174:55404    139.162.14.216:30303    SYN_SENT    1466/gsoil
tcp        0      1 178.62.133.174:39284    108.163.197.58:42786    SYN_SENT    1466/gsoil
tcp        0      1 178.62.133.174:46789    173.230.228.143:30303   SYN_SENT    1466/gsoil
tcp        0      1 178.62.133.174:49814    99.44.217.202:30303     SYN_SENT    1466/gsoil
tcp        0      1 178.62.133.174:59058    52.25.0.225:39338       SYN_SENT    1466/gsoil
tcp        0      1 178.62.133.174:38191    108.61.179.7:30303      SYN_SENT    1466/gsoil
tcp        0      1 178.62.133.174:48598    45.56.93.253:30303      SYN_SENT    1466/gsoil
tcp        0      1 178.62.133.174:44005    195.178.117.10:30303    SYN_SENT    1466/gsoil
tcp        0      1 178.62.133.174:32825    104.236.65.136:30303    SYN_SENT    1466/gsoil
tcp6       0      0 :::39338                :::*                    LISTEN      1466/gsoil
tcp6       0      0 178.62.133.174:39338    92.52.46.10:33470       ESTABLISHED 1466/gsoil

And it is syncing. So all good, in a way.

and

I want to lock down the droplet as much as I can (all DROP and then allow specific ports),
and I am wondering about the correct iptables command to do that.

Thanks to you experts - and sorry to you newbs for this post ;-)

Please try new sourcecode - should fix this issue.
Let us know your findings.

Thanks
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 148 »
  Print  

Jump to: