Bitcoin Forum
November 22, 2017, 02:43:32 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DagCoin: a cryptocurrency without blocks  (Read 64464 times)
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 02:08:22 PM

IOTA runs a decentralized system where every user decides himself when to switch to the uncoordinated mode.

I just finished reading Eric Wall's article and the comments from some of the Iota team members on it. It seems that the "switch to uncoordinated mode" is, at this moment, a theoretical concept and requires programming skills (or an alternative client?). So I understand that the standard client software still enforces the confirmation of transactions by the Coordinator.

By the way, the aggressive tone David Sønstebø shows in his comments are not really convincing. If confronted with criticism the first reaction is an accusation of "lies" and "FUD", then very probably something is wrong with the project. I have sympathies for Iota, but if Iota's communication strategy continues this way that will end.

▀
   ▄▄▄   ▄▀
   ███ ▄▄▄▄  ██
       ████
    ▄  ▀▀▀▀
▄▄
      ██    ▀▀
██▄█▄▄▄████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀███▀▀▀
██████████████████
████▄▀▄▀▄▀███▀▀▀▀▀
████▄▀▄▀▄▀███ ▀
████▄▀▄▀▄▀████████
▀█████████████████
]
,CoinPayments,
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
Join ICO Now Coinlancer is Disrupting the Freelance marketplace!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 1778

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 02:16:31 PM

I just finished reading Eric Wall's article and the comments from some of the Iota team members on it. It seems that the "switch to uncoordinated mode" is, at this moment, a theoretical concept and requires programming skills (or an alternative client?). So I understand that the standard client software still enforces the confirmation of transactions by the Coordinator.

By the way, the aggressive tone David Sønstebø shows in his comments are not really convincing. If confronted with criticism the first reaction is an accusation of "lies" and "FUD", then very probably something is wrong with the project. I have sympathies for Iota, but if Iota's communication strategy continues this way that will end.

Requirement of having a modification can't invalidate the claim of being decentralized. The protocol is decentralized, the implementation is being improved every day, right now the team focused on more important things. Purists can fund development of their own version or wait for someone else to provide it.

Aggressive tone can be shocking to some people living together with their parents. Get used to living without being babysitted.
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 02:35:19 PM

Requirement of having a modification can't invalidate the claim of being decentralized. The protocol is decentralized, the implementation is being improved every day, right now the team focused on more important things. Purists can fund development of their own version or wait for someone else to provide it.

OK. I'll accept your stance for now and will periodically look at Iota's evolution and the Coordinator issue. (For me, the Coordinator is an important issue. Call me a purist, but I wouldn't be interested in Iota if it was only a second Ripple.).

Aggressive tone can be shocking to some people living together with their parents. Get used to living without being babysitted.

In German, there's a nice saying "Getroffene Hunde bellen" ("hitten dogs bark"). Aggressive tone like David's comments may convince underaged shills/fanboys but not people that want to know more about the issues.

▀
   ▄▄▄   ▄▀
   ███ ▄▄▄▄  ██
       ████
    ▄  ▀▀▀▀
▄▄
      ██    ▀▀
██▄█▄▄▄████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀███▀▀▀
██████████████████
████▄▀▄▀▄▀███▀▀▀▀▀
████▄▀▄▀▄▀███ ▀
████▄▀▄▀▄▀████████
▀█████████████████
]
,CoinPayments,
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2017, 02:57:00 PM

but I wouldn't be interested in Iota if it was only a second Ripple.

There are 8 billion people on the planet, guess how many of them care about your or my interest.
USB-S

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 02:21:32 PM

100% premine MLM bullshit byteball fork.
SatoNatomato

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 12:07:20 PM

right now the team focused on more important things.
Iota is centralized. Coordinator will stay. Since the team is focusing on more important things than decentralization.

There, easier for anyone to understand what youre hiding.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 01:38:46 PM

Iota is centralized. Coordinator will stay. Since the team is focusing on more important things than decentralization.

There, easier for anyone to understand what youre hiding.

It's enough to check your post history to see how much your words are worth.  Cheesy
Bitman86

Activity: 110

SpectreCoin

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 04:53:17 AM

I'm following this thread with a lot of interest, started Segio Demian Lerner, with his brilliant "DAG theory",
then came Come-from-Beyond, and brought us a case study of the "DAG theory" is IOTA,
but the IOTA network is centralized, I say something like: P2? . They have a great development team however they still can not implement that the network works in a decentralized way.
In the two case studies named Byteball and IOTA the same thing happens.
I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to build a decentralized P2P system with DAG.
At this point, I would like nothing more than the opinion of who started this thread.
Sergio please: in theory can this system function as a pure and decentralized P2P network?
If yes, then the question follows, and in practice?

sinner

Activity: 604

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 03:08:34 PM

did this ever launch? i dont see it on CMC.

i know OP is working on RSK, so that's already a full-time thing.
SatoNatomato

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 08:56:06 PM

I'm following this thread with a lot of interest, started Segio Demian Lerner, with his brilliant "DAG theory",

I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to build a decentralized P2P system with DAG.
At this point, I would like nothing more than the opinion of who started this thread.
Sergio please: in theory can this system function as a pure and decentralized P2P network?
No, you can not have a DAG-coin be fully decentralized and trust-less like Bitcoin.

DAG-coins can be decentralized, distributed, but not trust-less.

Byteball version is to trust majority of 12 (or any forks/clones suitable chosen number) witnesses to not collude together, but is decentralized, distributed. The trust required is spread over many.

IOTA version, aside from many many other major problems, read my post history, is to trust a single Coordinator and require social connections/trust for node peering, it is centralized, and not trust-less.

Well chosen name for Coordinator in iota. "a person whose job is to organize events or activities and to negotiate with others in order to ensure they work together effectively."
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 12:03:29 AM

Sergio Demian Lerner has written his last post in 2016 in this forum (he seems to have logged in in May, however). It's unlikely he'll see this post. It's a pity, but I cannot blame him - look at the last pages of this thread, there were more posts promoting some DAG-based altcoins than those dealing with the original subject of the thread.

At this time, Sergio is pretty busy with Rootstock (see the project homepage).

PS: There is some research on DAGs outside of the Iota and Byteball communities. Some even think DAG elements could be integrated into Bitcoin in the future.

▀
   ▄▄▄   ▄▀
   ███ ▄▄▄▄  ██
       ████
    ▄  ▀▀▀▀
▄▄
      ██    ▀▀
██▄█▄▄▄████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀███▀▀▀
██████████████████
████▄▀▄▀▄▀███▀▀▀▀▀
████▄▀▄▀▄▀███ ▀
████▄▀▄▀▄▀████████
▀█████████████████
]
,CoinPayments,
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
█████
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████ ██
█████
Bitman86

Activity: 110

SpectreCoin

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 03:30:27 AM

Sergio Demian Lerner has written his last post in 2016 in this forum (he seems to have logged in in May, however). It's unlikely he'll see this post. It's a pity, but I cannot blame him - look at the last pages of this thread, there were more posts promoting some DAG-based altcoins than those dealing with the original subject of the thread.

PS: There is some research on DAGs outside of the Iota and Byteball communities. Some even think DAG elements could be integrated into Bitcoin in the future.

Thank you very much d5000, you gave me top quality information

flag39

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 05:25:04 PM

I was told this dagcoin is something like a side branch of byteball so it would utilise the byteball tangle.

<OPEN MONEY | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
███████████████    ▬▬▬▬▬▬ Blockchain Meets Mainstream! ▬▬▬▬▬▬    ███████████████
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram>
justingmorlang

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 09:24:06 AM

Is the project open source? I'd love to take a look at it and maybe contribute myself. Github link plz Cheesy
monsterer2

Activity: 89

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 09:40:45 AM

DAG-coins can be decentralized, distributed, but not trust-less.

None of the existing implementations can be. I proposed a solution here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1992827.0

I was previously 'monsterer' before account hack
maxNIMFA

Activity: 126

I'm Nimfamoney Founder & CEO (NIMFA token)

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 10:44:24 AM

Can you tell what Sergio's post exactly do you mean?
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 1638

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 05:34:47 AM

Wasnt this design basically copied from git model and applied to cryptocurrency. Wouldn't *some* of the practical sybil and bft attacks possible on that be by extension plausible on acyclic graphs aswell?

★☆★Syscoin - Decentralized Marketplace and Multisig Platform
Pay with Bitcoin, ZCash and many more
For more visit Syscoin.org  ★☆★
Vigens

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 09:15:08 AM

Is the project open source? I'd love to take a look at it and maybe contribute myself. Github link plz Cheesy

It takes few minutes to scroll down the posts to find what you need.

https://github.com/DagcoinOY/dagcoin

Success comes to those who become SUCCESS CONSCIOUSS
USB-S

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 10:02:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIasr2AiyZ0
SativaDiva

Activity: 96

21. English major - writing concentration. <3

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2017, 04:35:12 PM

Omg seems like a great idea Shocked

ICO IS NOW LIVE    ▐┃▌    1WORLD ONLINE    ▐┃▌    WHITEPAPER
✣ ✣ ✣ ┃ Revolutionizing ONLINE MEDIA with BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY and incentives for AUDIENCE ENGAGEMENT™ ┃ ✣ ✣ ✣
ANN \ / TELEGRAM \ / FACEBOOK \ / WHATSAPP \ / TWITTER \ / KAKAOTALK
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.