Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:27:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Current Default Trust Network  (Read 2195 times)
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 04:08:57 PM

No, I'm not going to edit any of my posts to cover the tracks of my fanatic german racism. Roll Eyes

I meant to say it would be useful for the members of the non-english sub-forums of bitcointalk if they were represented in DefaultTrust.
That might help in spotting scammers that only do their scammy magic in languages other than English.

If someone seriously misunderstands that as racism, so be it. I beg to differ Cool

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Neotox
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

Free & Fast Neotox Escrow http://bit.ly/1OGVykp

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 04:09:54 PM

I vote for Vod for DT depth 1
and monbux for DT depth 2

and Neotox for DT depth 2 Tongue
just joking, Vod and monbux deserve this

Available
PM me to rent this space.
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 04:15:46 PM

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1349966601835_5385173.png

No, I'm not going to edit any of my posts to cover the tracks of my fanatic german racism. Roll Eyes

I meant to say it would be useful for the members of the non-english sub-forums of bitcointalk if they were represented in DefaultTrust.
That might help in spotting scammers that only do their scammy magic in languages other than English.

If someone seriously misunderstands that as racism, so be it. I beg to differ Cool

He wants a better Forum...A German Forum!

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 04:21:11 PM

The spanish portion of the community is somewhat represented by DT via  dserrano5. It seems that in general, the reputation system in other local communities works somewhat differently then DT.

You are right that many other (not just the German) local boards should be better represented in DT.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 04:58:03 PM

Lass das ma nich die Antifa sehen.[1] Wink

Germans I know that are on DT:

- shorena
- phantastisch (german mod)
- qwk

Do we need more? We might need a section like scam accusations. The approach to trust ratings seems also different in the german section. You probably know about the discussions when negative trust is left to quickly towards someone active in the german section, e.g. if an account was hacked.

@racism: It cant be racist comment, because

#1 the german section is language based which has nothing to do with race (if such a thing even exists) - humans from all races and countries can speak german (or learn to) and are welcome it that section.
#2 even if the section would be limited to those living in germany, the country has inhabitants of other races (if such a thing even exists)
#3 german is no race (if such a thing even exists) the races would be caucasian or aryan and would include almost all european countries.

I do however agree that each language section should have at least a few people to represent that section on the default trust network. The question is how to make sure that the power given is not abused if the language is not spoken. On the other hand moderation would be susceptible to the same issues and its (to my knowledge) working fine.

[1] Translation for our international friends: Do not get caught by the Antifa.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 05:07:44 PM

- shorena
- qwk
We're all just depth 2. I thought of promoting someone to level 1.
My reasoning is that right now, our trust doesn't propagate, so there's no way we can establish our own "local" trust network.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 05:10:32 PM

Anyone from my trust list not on DT I would nominate

theymos
dooglus
JWU42
Kluge
haploid23
Tomatocage
SaltySpitoon
BadBear
LouReed
squall1066
dbanga85
KWH
escrow.ms
xetsr
ghibly79
monbux
Smack That Ace

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 05:13:23 PM

- shorena
- qwk
My reasoning is that right now, our trust doesn't propagate, so there's no way we can establish our own "local" trust network.

I see, I dont think its needed though. The ratings from us have the same impact. Yes we cant put someone that is only active in the german section onto the DT list, but do we need to?

Note: replace german for any other section with a similar size, I still thinks its true.

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 05:23:15 PM

- shorena
- qwk

Of course the other solution is to encourage users of the german subforum to build their own trust networks.  Perhaps you put a sticky that says, "take full advantage of what the trust system can offer: add some german guys to your trust list".  In general, I think people should be managing their own trust lists, so much drama would go away if there weren't some central list of blessed people to try to get loved by.  I know I've expressed this kind of opinion before, but I think it might be relevant here too.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 05:38:18 PM

- shorena
- qwk
I see, I dont think its needed though. The ratings from us have the same impact. Yes we cant put someone that is only active in the german section onto the DT list, but do we need to?
Needed probably not. Useful, I think so. I can think of a number of guys/girls from the local german community who are much better scam-spotters than I am.
If those people tend to not post in English, they will most likely go unnoticed by DT level 1, which will render their valuable ratings almost useless.
Of course, the same goes for any non-English sub-forum.

I'm always trying to set my perspective "right" by assuming the point of view of a complete newb.
He comes to the bitcointalk forum and sees some people flagged green, others red, most not flagged at all.
It's almost a sure thing that he will tend to trust green people and distrust red people.
Now imagine a new german user. How many useful trust ratings will influence his perception of the other members of the german community?
I believe it's too few to have any real meaning.

While we're at it, I suggest shorena to be promoted to DT level 1 as well Wink
Not phantastisch, though, I don't like mods on DT Tongue

qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 05:48:19 PM

Of course the other solution is to encourage users of the german subforum to build their own trust networks.  Perhaps you put a sticky that says, "take full advantage of what the trust system can offer: add some german guys to your trust list".
I remember your stance on encouraging private trust lists.
As much as I would love to see people creating their own, I doubt that many people, especially newbs, actually do this.
Is there some statistic on that somewhere?

BTW, I remember theymos suggesting something like a default "create your own trust" page where he suggested a list of 100(?) users to incorporate into your first one. Anyone know what's become of that?

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 06:06:57 PM

Of course the other solution is to encourage users of the german subforum to build their own trust networks.  Perhaps you put a sticky that says, "take full advantage of what the trust system can offer: add some german guys to your trust list".
As much as I would love to see people creating their own, I doubt that many people, especially newbs, actually do this.

I don't know of any particular measurement, and I agree that most people do not create custom lists.  However, I see this as problematic, as leading to a centralized system that can be gamed (see the recent Quickseller drama) due to a central point of failure (to fool everyone, you only need to fool one or two people on the default list).  And it's doubly problematic because there's a feedback loop created where because very few people create custom lists, if you do create a custom list and you're not in default trust 1, then you are simply putting yourself out of the loop.  You're tuning out the feedback from the trusted few.  Of course this might be a good thing to do, but you end up not knowing what the majority of the people are seeing.  For example, I have a custom trust list, but I keep having to go back to the trust page to put it back to "default/depth=2" in order to "read the news" about what the vast majority are seeing.  I think this feedback loop is a shame because it essentially nullifies all of the nice features the trust system has for creating a robust, decentralized network.

I guess I see your question about how to promote the feedback of some particulare users in your subforum as a great opportunity to try to break out of that feedback loop.  If you put a sticky at the top of your subforum that says "ACHTUNG: Bitte prüfen Sie Ihre Vertrauenseinstellungen"  ["ATTENTION: please consider your trust settings"<- from google translate, I don't know if it's a good translation Smiley] and within that thread you have people discussing the best German-language posters to add to your trust list in order to see the high-quality ratings they provide as "trusted", then this might lead to people starting to take full advantage of the capabilities of the trust-system software, and perhaps make the overall trust system more robust as a consequence.  Who knows, if you do this for your subforum and it's helpful, perhaps other subfora will follow suit.  If all of the local subfora have these kinds of stickies and have their users making their own trust lists, perhaps Theymos will consider again whether something like this should be done for the global forum.  It's just an idea, anyway.

BTW, I remember theymos suggesting something like a default "create your own trust" page where he suggested a list of 100(?) users to incorporate into your first one. Anyone know what's become of that?

Here are some links to those discussions (including the one where Theymos presented an alternative to default trust):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1031791.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=914641.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1163292.0

I think what happened to that theymos idea is that it lost out in a poll that was at the end of that thread.  To be honest, I think that particular idea did have a few flaws that might have been problematic, but I really like the idea of confronting newbies with information about the trust system (in my opinion, newbies should also be simply fine with "opting out"---leaving their trust settings blank and seeing no feedback as "trusted" until they take the time to make a trust list).
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 06:14:13 PM

- shorena
- qwk
Needed probably not. Useful, I think so. I can think of a number of guys/girls from the local german community who are much better scam-spotters than I am.
If those people tend to not post in English, they will most likely go unnoticed by DT level 1, which will render their valuable ratings almost useless.
Of course, the same goes for any non-English sub-forum.

I'm always trying to set my perspective "right" by assuming the point of view of a complete newb.
He comes to the bitcointalk forum and sees some people flagged green, others red, most not flagged at all.
It's almost a sure thing that he will tend to trust green people and distrust red people.
Now imagine a new german user. How many useful trust ratings will influence his perception of the other members of the german community?
I believe it's too few to have any real meaning.

While we're at it, I suggest shorena to be promoted to DT level 1 as well Wink
Not phantastisch, though, I don't like mods on DT Tongue

Considering my little involvement in the german section esp. regarding trades I would probably of no use on level 1. I see your point though, might be worth a different topic to suggest some of the "guys/girls" you have in mind.

AFAIK there was a vote against it and that was that.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: