Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:37:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Owner of IP address 73.225.159.251 is a hacker and tried to hack my account  (Read 6955 times)
MadZ

Activity: 908
Merit: 657

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 11:15:58 PM

I suspect that Wardrick's account was compromised around May, though I'm not 100% sure. But I'm not hearing any evidence one way or another from anyone who previously owned the account, so I suppose the account will be locked for some time. Therefore, I removed Wardrick's recent sent trust ratings. He can rewrite them later if his account is ever restored.

Did you happen to keep a record of these ratings? They might be useful in determining who stole his account. I wouldn't be surprised if they left positive trust for themselves and/or negative trust for their enemies. I can't see why else someone would hack a DT account and keep it secret for so long, they knew any trust they left would be worthless if it came to light that the account had been hacked.

Perhaps Wardrick hasn't come forward because he sold the account, I'm sure it would've been worth a fair amount.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 05:11:30 AM

I suspect that Wardrick's account was compromised around May, though I'm not 100% sure. But I'm not hearing any evidence one way or another from anyone who previously owned the account, so I suppose the account will be locked for some time. Therefore, I removed Wardrick's recent sent trust ratings. He can rewrite them later if his account is ever restored.
By compromised, you mean sold right? Wardrick had made his intentions pretty clear on his last few posts before he went inactive for several months:

--snip--
Unless he removes his feedback or is taken off the default trust list I have no interest in being a part of this forum. I have been very active off and on for over two years and have followed all the rules and I won't stand for injustice to be done to me and have it affect my account this way.
--snip--
 I'm perfectly fine with leaving the forum because I'm not going to have this crap be done to me and nothing be done about it.
--snip--
^^his last post prior to him going inactive for several months.

If you say that something happened to Wardrick's account in May then I would confidently say that it was sold; I can even say with a good amount of certainty who purchased it, based on what was posted in various threads (but I am not going to speculate about this) (it was not me). I would say the reason that the owner of Wardrick has not contacted you is likely because the (new) owner of Wardrick (probably, but maybe not) got a signed message transferring ownership, then has never posted another BTC address (or anything else that can be signed from) since then, which would make proving ownership very difficult.

Even if the above is incorrect, Wardrick had expressed a disconnect with bitcointalk and had mentioned his disinterest in continuing to participate in the community. He had also expressed a strong opinion on one of his trust ratings. My major concern about removing recent trust ratings is that since you are not 100% certain the person leaving the trust ratings was not the rightful owner of the account (by some measure), then removing such trust ratings would be essentially moderating his trust ratings (as some of them were controversial), and this is very disconcerting. What is even more disconcerting is that this appears to be an example as to how a scammer can get away with scamming simply by complaining loud and long enough, and slings enough dirt at the person(s) calling them out then they will be able to scam without consequence.

Did you happen to keep a record of these ratings? They might be useful in determining who stole his account. I wouldn't be surprised if they left positive trust for themselves and/or negative trust for their enemies. I can't see why else someone would hack a DT account and keep it secret for so long, they knew any trust they left would be worthless if it came to light that the account had been hacked.
The Wardrick account left a negative trust rating for tspacepilot and Brad Harrison, left a neutral rating for turtlehurricane (although I believe that may have been removed prior to yesterday), and left a positive trust rating for tomatocage. I don't think the account was hacked though because the "real" owner would have likely come back to attempt to claim the account sometime between May and now, especially considering the amount of business it was conducting prior to May (assuming he wanted to remain on bitcointalk).
Perhaps Wardrick hasn't come forward because he sold the account, I'm sure it would've been worth a fair amount.
It was most likely sold, see the above part of my post.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 09:25:22 AM

The Wardrick account left a negative trust rating for tspacepilot and Brad Harrison, left a neutral rating for turtlehurricane (although I believe that may have been removed prior to yesterday), and left a positive trust rating for tomatocage. I don't think the account was hacked though because the "real" owner would have likely come back to attempt to claim the account sometime between May and now, especially considering the amount of business it was conducting prior to May (assuming he wanted to remain on bitcointalk).

He also left to me a neutral trust rating and now it has been removed. The hack was only a poor skit and maybe you are right, his account was bought by someone who knows how the trust system works....
TYPEcoin

Activity: 364
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 09:48:14 AM

Low American hack,this is so funny.
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 02:08:18 PM

Now someone has created this account :

-  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=557613  (wardrick_hacked)

Let's see if he will be able to sign a message (to recover his forum account, if he is the real Wardrick).
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 03:11:33 AM

He also left to me a neutral trust rating and now it has been removed. The hack was only a poor skit and maybe you are right, his account was bought by someone who knows how the trust system works....
That is right, he did leave a neutral rating for you. This fact strengthens my suspicion as to who was behind that account.

I see that someone has created an account with the handle "wardrick_hacked".....is there any update regarding if there is evidence that this person might be the rightful owner of wardrick, and if so if his account will be returned to him?
Coinonomous

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 10:02:09 PM

Hey look who's back - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=85316;sa=showPosts

And wow... cleaned up trust, still on default I see.

Hmm.. Did Somebody sell an account on DT lately? Tongue

Trust summary for Wardrick

This user's password was reset recently.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,     

,p████████████████████N,   

d█████████████████████████b   

d██████████████████████████████æ 

,████²█████████████████████████████,

,█████ ╙████████████████████╨ █████y

██████  `████████████████`  ██████

║██████   Ñ███████████`   ███████

███████    ╩██████Ñ    ███████

███████  ▐▄  ²██╩  a▌ ███████

╢██████  ▐▓█▄     ▄█▓▌  ███████

██████  ▐▓▓▓▓▌▄█▓▓▓▌ ██████─

▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌     

▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌     

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─ 

²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩   

▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀   

²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`     

²²²         

--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 10:14:53 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2016, 10:26:35 PM by --Encrypted--

probably the real/legitimate owner (whichever that is...) finally contacted theymos with the necessary proof to claim the account back.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 10:25:54 PM

Theymos had previously said that he locked his account so based on the fact that he is posting means that either theymos or BadBear got involved.
Coinonomous

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 02:13:38 AM

Theymos had previously said that he locked his account so based on the fact that he is posting means that either theymos or BadBear got involved.

Cool story. But... Why is he only on BadBear's and your trust lists? Seems kinda odd to me.  Roll Eyes

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,     

,p████████████████████N,   

▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌     

▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌     

▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀   

²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`     

²²²         

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 02:19:04 AM

Cool story. But... Why is he only on BadBear's and your trust lists? Seems kinda odd to me.  Roll Eyes
That is a stupid question. Whose else trust list is he suppose to be on? The vast majority of people on DT are only on one person on Level 1 (of DT)'s trust list. He was never on any one else's trust list AFAIK
Coinonomous

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 04:04:41 AM

That is a stupid question. Whose else trust list is he suppose to be on? The vast majority of people on DT are only on one person on Level 1 (of DT)'s trust list. He was never on any one else's trust list AFAIK

Why is it stupid that you trust some idiot who got hacked whom you don't even know? I'm asking about  your trust list here. Why do you trust a hacked account? I am suggesting you own it or sold it, that's all. ... Roll Eyes

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,     

,p████████████████████N,   

▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌     

▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌     

▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀   

²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`     

²²²         

kingaltcoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 06:19:01 AM

tl;dr: Never use secret question feature for an alternative login
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 06:27:31 AM

1 - the account was not hacked, it was most likely sold back in March (I think) and was then fake hacked in September
2 - the fake hack did not even use the secret question, it involved using a link to reset the password of the account, of which was posted in the OP
Wardrick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 10:06:06 AM

1 - the account was not hacked, it was most likely sold back in March (I think) and was then fake hacked in September
2 - the fake hack did not even use the secret question, it involved using a link to reset the password of the account, of which was posted in the OP

My account was never sold. A breach in the forum database is what caused it I believe. I communicated privately through Theymos (I was not wardrick_hacked) to get it resolved. Unless my computer was infected, which is highly unlikely because nothing other than my Bitcoin profile was affected, then there was no way for the hacker to get my email in which they socially engineered the provider for and it was blank (I never used it for anything besides registering to this site and never logged back into it). Someone was intending to either sell my account when it was purchased or it was sold in that minimal time period because the hacker/user had shown no intentions to scam and was only using it for community purposes (discussion, investigating, leaving feedback, etc.). The hacker was definitely not a novice. Anyway, I am glad to have my account back Smiley
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 04:19:18 PM

My account was never sold. A breach in the forum database is what caused it I believe. I communicated privately through Theymos (I was not wardrick_hacked) to get it resolved. Unless my computer was infected, which is highly unlikely because nothing other than my Bitcoin profile was affected, then there was no way for the hacker to get my email in which they socially engineered the provider for and it was blank (I never used it for anything besides registering to this site and never logged back into it). Someone was intending to either sell my account when it was purchased or it was sold in that minimal time period because the hacker/user had shown no intentions to scam and was only using it for community purposes (discussion, investigating, leaving feedback, etc.). The hacker was definitely not a novice. Anyway, I am glad to have my account back Smiley
Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up. If your account was in fact breached because of when the forum was hacked then it was most likely TF who hacked your account.
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 04:33:25 PM

Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up. If your account was in fact breached because of when the forum was hacked then it was most likely TF who hacked your account.

Why TF and not someone else ?
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 04:40:08 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2016, 04:56:08 PM by Quickseller

Why TF and not someone else ?
Because he was most likely the person who had hacked the forum.

edit: I am not sure it was hacked though
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: