Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:59:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hashpower.com - Buy and Lease Mining Shares  (Read 14127 times)
wknight (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin calls me an Orphan

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 05:17:05 PM

Thinking of trying this, does anyone have a WeExchange invite they can PM me?

Sent a PM with invite

Mining Both Bitcoin and Litecoin.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wknight (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 05:19:38 PM

Please do not sell hash power like this.

Services like Hashpower and GPUmax are fundamentally bad for Bitcoin. They decrease the security of the network and increase the risk of double spends. They are inherently against the basic design of Bitcoin which is that by mining, miners express their support for a particular chain. By selling your hash power to anonymous miners who may or may not be doing things you would agree with, you make it radically easier to mount an attack on the network.

If the owners of hashpower.com were here, I would ask them to shut their service down. But as they aren't, I will ask you to boycott it instead.

Never forget that mining is voting. It is not just a way to make a quick buck. If you sell your shares you are selling your votes.

Man, we should boycott pools under the same premise. I don't want them controlling my.. hehe.. "votes"...

YAWN.. go somewhere else with your propaganda

AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 05:21:22 PM

Thinking of trying this, does anyone have a WeExchange invite they can PM me?

Sent a PM with invite

Thank ya!  Smiley

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 06:16:02 PM

Man, we should boycott pools under the same premise. I don't want them controlling my.. hehe.. "votes"...

Have you even ever read Satoshis paper? Why don't you do that now.

http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

From the conclusion:

Nodes can leave  and  rejoin  the  network  at  will,  accepting  the  proof-of-work  chain  as  proof  of  what happened while they were gone.  They vote with their CPU power, expressing their acceptance of valid blocks by working on extending them and rejecting invalid blocks by refusing to work on them.  Any needed rules and incentives can be enforced with this consensus mechanism.

Satoshi explicitly stated that doing a proof of work is voting.

And yes, centralized pools are also a problem which p2pool was designed to solve - but at least you know who you are selling to, and you can judge their reputation. With hashpower.com you don't have any idea where your shares end up.

So I will say it again. Do not use hashpower or similar services. It undermines the security of the system we all use. If you don't understand what you're doing by mining you should not be doing it.
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 06:43:51 PM

Hashpower is far more transparent than GPUmax.  You see where the hashes are going and the total power.

Right now at 250 Gh/s it is ~ 1% of the total network.  Your claims are rather alarmist...

streblo

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 08:54:05 PM

+1
Hashpower is far more transparent than GPUmax.  You see where the hashes are going and the total power.

Right now at 250 Gh/s it is ~ 1% of the total network.  Your claims are rather alarmist...
Hash/vote leasing is categorically bad no matter the power.
DutchBrat

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 12:11:48 AM

I like pointing someone elses 250 Ghash at OzCoin

Especially since I only have 315 Mhash at my own disposal

I really dont see where things can go wrong here.... But that may be just me
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 12:32:50 PM

All Hashpower needs is a username. How do you know what is being done with your hash power? In particular, you don't have any way to know that the buyer isn't simply executing a Finney double spend attack against a merchant who is trying to accept unconfirmed transactions.

If somebody managed to buy 1% of the votes in the an election, would people shrug and say "no big deal"? Of course not. They would freak out because somebody was using their money to undermine democracy. There's no level of vote buying where you can just shrug it off and say "well 5% is bad, but 1% is ok".

Don't sell shares. Use them to mine against a Bitcoin node that has behaviour you agree with. Which probably means "is following the default Bitcoin ruleset", possibly with a different fee policy. But you definitely don't want to find yourself mining on a side chain that is trying to double spend against legitimate merchants.
wknight (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 05:17:44 PM

Dont like it.. dont use it.. simple as that.

Coin.Karma

Activity: 189

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 05:32:37 PM

Looking for We exchange Invite...
hashking

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 06:16:15 PM

I tried to setup some leases on this website and it seems near impossible.  You can't send bitcoins directly to fund your account.  You have to get a we-exchange account and that is by invite only.  They do recommend to go to an irc room to get a we-exchange account invite but then state don't be to demanding.  Not a very user friendly service.
wknight (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 07:05:42 PM

Invites sent out to both of you guys.

hashking

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 07:13:23 PM

I did receive an invite.  Will try it out soon.  Thanks wknight.
Intention

Activity: 128

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 07:17:20 PM

I had gotten my invite from Graet all I did was send him a pm asking for one.  Though I do intend to use not only for Hashpower but I'm waiting a little for the Canadian market to pick up before trying it out.

So far I'm happy with the service and it's on par with Gpumax.  I don't really see the sensationalizing, alarmist talk about these services.  I've pointed my BFL Single crunching away at 800mhash/s and honestly as a miner I do not in any way shape or form care where my hashes go.  On this site you are limited to what mining pools you can set your worker to so it isn't like I'm selling off my power for some nefarious purpose.  I've mined on most of these pools at some point in the past and just switch around on a whim.  Why not bitch and complain about abcpool? Isn't that the same idea? Or what about people who purchase shares just off of the forum? Why aren't you giving gigavps shit?

Don't get me wrong, I support Bitcoin but I also go where the money is.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
twoglovedanny

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 03:19:12 AM

Trying this out...
runlinux

Activity: 566
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2012, 12:00:36 PM

Is something going on? My miners are unable to connect.

Got my first btc worth of work out of weexchange this morning!

PsychoticBoy
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1010

Parental Advisory Explicit Content

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 06:54:34 PM

Just connect your miner to http://hashpower.com:80 with the obtained username/password
Use a compatible mining pool and all will just work fine  Grin

Greetz
scrybe

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 09:31:52 PM

Cool idea, but I'm not on WeExchange yet.  Huh

Anyone have a code handy?

One question though, there is no mention of how quickly the leased shares will be delivered. Will it be over 1 hour? 1 week? the next 10 difficulty changes?

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
scrybe

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 10:12:05 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2012, 10:41:28 PM by scrybe

Cool idea, but I'm not on WeExchange yet.  Huh

Anyone have a code handy?

One question though, there is no mention of how quickly the leased shares will be delivered. Will it be over 1 hour? 1 week? the next 10 difficulty changes?

Got one on IRC #hashpower, thanks Ukto!

It looks like the execution is ASAP based on capacity. I'm assuming that means that the more shares that are available the faster you are going to complete yours.

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
twoglovedanny

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:59:24 AM

this is great!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: