Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:38:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I posted some flyers in public downtown yesterday  (Read 7092 times)
nobbynobbynoob (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 12:35:09 AM

Trying to promote Bitcoin. The rain will wash them away in no time, no doubt. The temptation was to deface the façades of the big banks with them, but I respect the banks' property (iiish... Grin ) even though they don't respect ours. I'll consider posting a few more strategically.

They take the form:

[text is centered]
SECURE
FAST
NO BANK FEES
(NO BANKS!)
[Bitcoin symbol]
BITCOIN
The New Virtual Gold
Learn more! Visit http://bitcoin.org/

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BladeMcCool

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 02:16:07 AM

got any pics? would love to see video of anyone seeing them and reacting in some way. probably only small percentage of passersby would notice/care about the message but still might be interesting to catch the few who might take interest.
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 02:25:13 AM

Should print physical notes valued at .1 and have sponsors for them. So if I donated 1BTC I would have 9 notes printed in my design and keep part for printing cost. Then pass them out like that, think this would be a great exposure with the way physical notes look now.

kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 10:39:11 AM

On localbitcoins.com, we have a "print flyer" functionality, which prints out nicely designed PDF flyer, which you can put to billboards etc.

A great way to promote bitcoin, and also make some pocket money from the new bitcoin users by selling them their first bitcoins Smiley

Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 10:42:00 AM

I'll leave this here... http://coinabul.com/promote/

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 03:53:31 PM

Those are Great! When summer comes back around I think I might pass some out at the beach.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 04:32:51 PM

I'll leave this here... http://coinabul.com/promote/

Nice Goatse poster.
Gatorhex

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 04:40:32 PM

Assuming there is no law against defacing your money (there probably is for fly posting) just write "bitcoin.org" on all the debt notes that pass through your hands then everyone who uses the money will see it.

Honestly though bitcoin isn't ready from the prime time, it's still too nerdish. It needs to be a phone app that's both hacker proof and so simple your grandma could use it and transactions need to near instantaneous so you can use it in a store.
nobbynobbynoob (OP)

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 05:20:54 PM

Honestly though bitcoin isn't ready from the prime time, it's still too nerdish. It needs to be a phone app that's both hacker proof and so simple your grandma could use it and transactions need to near instantaneous so you can use it in a store.

That is true to an extent. Then again, I consider myself only very mildly nerdish (it's been decades since I've actually written a fully functioning computer program, honest Guv!) yet have not found it too daunting to get into using Bitcoin and grasping the major concepts. The whole notion of a cryptocurrency as a hard e-commodity might be the tricky bit to explain to the unwary.

Then again, it's already been recently said around here that most high-street shops don't deal in gold, yet that substance still trades at $1600/ozt or so. Smiley Bitcoin isn't yet widely accepted but it is increasingly widely accepted.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Arto
Donator

Activity: 213

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 01:54:18 PM

Trying to promote Bitcoin. The rain will wash them away in no time, no doubt. The temptation was to deface the façades of the big banks with them, but I respect the banks' property (iiish... Grin ) even though they don't respect ours. I'll consider posting a few more strategically.

This is a great idea. If there was a good poster design one could use, I wouldn't mind having the local copy shop print out a couple of hundred full-color posters for me and then going about pasting them around town here in Berlin. In particular, I'd take them to various hackerspaces and other techie gathering locations.

The posters at http://coinabul.com/promote/ are a good start but not exactly what I'm looking for. I did not manage to locate the poster printing functionality on https://localbitcoins.com/ just yet; perhaps that requires having an advertisement.

Arto
Donator

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 02:30:34 PM

Assuming there is no law against defacing your money (there probably is for fly posting) just write "bitcoin.org" on all the debt notes that pass through your hands then everyone who uses the money will see it.

Thanks a bunch for the ingenious guerrilla marketing idea. I've just gone ahead and done this for all the euro notes currently in my wallet. Here's photographic evidence as a sample:

I experimented a bit with different writing instruments, and in the end would recommend using a pencil. It works and looks better (at least on euro notes) than a ballpoint pen, doesn't permeate to the other side of the note as a felt tip pen would, and is erasable in case the payee gives you any grief about your illicit graffiti Cool

Arto
Donator

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 03:02:44 PM

I liked Gatorhex's idea enough that I went ahead and started new forum thread just for that:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=118395.0

I've also submitted this to /r/Bitcoin at Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/11glvr/guerrilla_marketing_for_bitcoin_on_a_20_note/

greyhawk

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 04:02:07 PM

Thanks a bunch for the ingenious guerrilla marketing idea. I've just gone ahead and done this for all the euro notes currently in my wallet. Here's photographic evidence as a sample:

I experimented a bit with different writing instruments, and in the end would recommend using a pencil. It works and looks better (at least on euro notes) than a ballpoint pen, doesn't permeate to the other side of the note as a felt tip pen would, and is erasable in case the payee gives you any grief about your illicit graffiti Cool

Yeah, the erasability is important. While it's not illegal to write on Euro notes, notes that have been written on are no longer legal tender, so it's good idea to be able to erase that should someone not want to accept your notes.
mikegogulski

Activity: 360

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 06:14:47 PM

Yeah, the erasability is important. While it's not illegal to write on Euro notes, notes that have been written on are no longer legal tender, so it's good idea to be able to erase that should someone not want to accept your notes.

The Conspiracy wants you, children. Oh, it wants you bad.

After I first saw "They Live" in late 1990, I had a rubber stamp made reading "THIS IS YOUR GOD" in big block letters of a size suitable for US banknotes. I'd stamp every one of the things that came through my hands for a year or two after that.

Nowadays I walk into a Tesco in Slovakia and buy something upstairs with a €10 note, getting a fiver back plus some coins. Unbeknownst to me, the five-euro note has a small tear on one corner. Take that note downstairs in the same Tesco, right afterwards, and try to pay for something and they'll refuse to take it. Sorry, you'll have to go to the bank ---and show ID--- to get the bloody thing replaced. Useless fucks.

So, my thought for this little bit of guerrilla marketing: Get a *small* rubberstamp made reading "bitcoin.org". Get some blue ink and dilute it down to something approaching the background of the €5 note. Stamp in an area where the mark won't be obtrusive, and not near the major security features. Make piles of them. Plenty will pass with no scrutiny at merchants, and at the end of the day you can always get a banked friend to take the pile you got tired of to his/her bank and ask for replacements, complaining that they've been collecting in the shop till.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 06:35:06 PM

That's illegal, the marking up bills, although you're not pointing it at your own site so they won't have anyone to prosecute over that and in fact it's somewhat of a genius idea.  Keep up the good work.
Arto
Donator

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 06:50:41 PM

The Conspiracy wants you, children. Oh, it wants you bad.

After I first saw "They Live" in late 1990, I had a rubber stamp made reading "THIS IS YOUR GOD" in big block letters of a size suitable for US banknotes. I'd stamp every one of the things that came through my hands for a year or two after that.

Nowadays I walk into a Tesco in Slovakia and buy something upstairs with a €10 note, getting a fiver back plus some coins. Unbeknownst to me, the five-euro note has a small tear on one corner. Take that note downstairs in the same Tesco, right afterwards, and try to pay for something and they'll refuse to take it. Sorry, you'll have to go to the bank ---and show ID--- to get the bloody thing replaced. Useless fucks.

So, my thought for this little bit of guerrilla marketing: Get a *small* rubberstamp made reading "bitcoin.org". Get some blue ink and dilute it down to something approaching the background of the €5 note. Stamp in an area where the mark won't be obtrusive, and not near the major security features. Make piles of them. Plenty will pass with no scrutiny at merchants, and at the end of the day you can always get a banked friend to take the pile you got tired of to his/her bank and ask for replacements, complaining that they've been collecting in the shop till.

Thanks, Mike. I will look into the rubberstamp suggestion. Might get a small batch of them and sell a few on Bitmit to spread the idea...

PS. I don't actually recall ever seeing They Live, so now you've got me curious. TPB has it, of course.

Arto
Donator

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 06:52:06 PM

That's illegal, the marking up bills, although you're not pointing it at your own site so they won't have anyone to prosecute over that and in fact it's somewhat of a genius idea.  Keep up the good work.

That's all right; what isn't illegal these days...

greyhawk

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 07:15:52 PM

That's illegal, the marking up bills,

Not in Europe it isn't anymore. But as I said, the bills are no longer legal tender. Worse: If you bring a stack of the "rubber stamped" ones to the bank they will put them out of circulation WITHOUT you getting replacements. They do replacements only for wear and tear. In case of systematic defacement they will be confiscated WITHOUT replacements.
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 07:24:24 PM

You could tape a piece of paper onto the bank note with "bitcoin.org" or whatever on it. Then the tape can just be peeled off.
greyhawk

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 07:30:27 PM

You could tape a piece of paper onto the bank note with "bitcoin.org" or whatever on it. Then the tape can just be peeled off.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: