Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:45:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Follow the Bitcoins taken from me by Homeland Security  (Read 12598 times)
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 11:59:17 PM

Well this US wanna control all,but bitcoin were designed to be decentralized,with these no one could track our trades soo why they had acess to your bitcoins did you had declared them or made some fortune selling and buying the bitcoins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
isvicre

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 12:03:43 AM

tl;dr:  I was charged with operating a money transmittal business without a licence for my trading activity on localbitcoins.com. (profile) 
Did you received or sent FIAT from or to outside of the USA through bank transaction, cash or any other means ?

All of my localbitcoins.com transactions were cash in person trades at a local coffee shop.
Oops. That is highly risky. Anyone from any country using LBC must avoid cash transaction, because it does not leave a trail. And if you do not leave a trail, administration will naturally be suspicious about you. It works like this...

You probably sold 1 BTC against 200 USD and paid tax accordingly. But, if you do it in cash, administration has no other way than simply trusting you that you sold 1 BTC only. You may have sold 10 BTC against cash and reported 1 BTC. Authorities do not like this. Whenver you are changing BTC against FIAT, do it online. Keep a trail and show it if you are in trouble. I never heard anyone to be in trouble using LBC for online transactions only within the country.

But if he paid tax for them than what's the problem here? US laws are really weird. I know a lot of people do same things in Europe and don't even pay tax. They don't get in trouble, because there's no law about Bitcoin trading.
kingscrown

Activity: 672

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2015, 12:04:26 AM

so burt wot happend exactly did they steal you bitcoins didnt u give some on reserve for yourself in cold storage tell me more
You can read all about it here:

www.burtw.com

www.jmwagner.com

and, of course, here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934268.0

sick story

coinzat

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Young but I'm not that bold

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 12:25:02 AM

What happened to you is so creepy :/
I wonder what will they do with your btc ? Will they store it only in this address or they will exchange it to dollars ?!?
chopstick
Legendary

Activity: 992

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 12:51:58 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2015, 01:41:36 AM by chopstick

Fuck the police state. Civil asset forfeiture is legalized robbery. They can literally use any excuse they want to just come in and steal our shit. These pigs are greedy as fuck.

Bitcoin is great, but we need an alternative choice of society and government as well.

We're all still vulnerable living in this police state bullshit. And they will fight tooth and nail to keep it that way. We need a new government. Our leaders have failed We the People.

Hellot

Activity: 679
Merit: 526

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 12:52:23 AM

Something doesn't make sense.  If they made a mistake and dropped the charges, why did you have to pay them so much money?  Huh
chopstick
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 01:18:51 AM

Something doesn't make sense.  If they made a mistake and dropped the charges, why did you have to pay them so much money?  Huh

He had to pay them an extortion fee to have the charges dropped. If he hadn't done that they would have dragged it out even longer and he would have had to keep paying more for his lawyer anyway.

It's the american dream baby. Be a LEO and steal money from hard working americans. If they resist, bankrupt them and stick em in solitary confinement and have em be in "contempt of court" to boot.
belcher

Activity: 261
Merit: 521

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 01:25:13 AM

I would really like to see them take something that only i can unlock, since i don't keep any passwords or similar things written or stored.
They would need my consent in order to take bitcoins away from me, which i doubt i would ever do, even faced with larger losses. Thank god i don't live in USA tho
How did they take the Bitcoins?
Did they just tell you to send all of the Bitcoins to a specific address, or did they take your private keys?

I know nothing about other countries but here in the US they have this thing called "contempt of court" which is the second most odious part of the law, right behind civil asset forfeiture.

All the judge needs to do is say "give me the password to all of your Bitcoins or you will be in contempt of court".  If you do not then give them your Bitcoins you will be sent to jail.

Note that for the most part it is almost impossible to appeal "contempt of court"

Also, they can keep you in jail until you produce the password they want.  That means forever - there is no time limit.

So your passwords are only as secure as your willingness to go to jail to keep them secret.

What if you didn't give them all your bitcoins?

Since it's possible to use bitcoin privately and anonymously, you could own bitcoins they don't know about. When they demand passwords you only give up part of your holdings.

1HZBd22eQLgbwxjwbCtSjhoPFWxQg8rBd9
JoinMarket - CoinJoin that people will actually use.
PGP fingerprint: 0A8B 038F 5E10 CC27 89BF CFFF EF73 4EA6 77F3 1129
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 01:29:48 AM

What if you didn't give them all your bitcoins.

Since it's possible to use bitcoin privately and anonymously, you could own bitcoins they don't know about. When they demand passwords you only give up part of your holdings.

They could imprison you forever if they even suspect you are with-holding passwords. This is also the reason why the probably made a lot of transactions shortly before the raid. They purchased a bulk of the coins than raided Burt's home to steal back their Fiat. Atrocious behavior.

The worst aspect of this is they only need to ruin a few peoples lives before they ultimately succeed in achieving their primary objective.... forcing everyone to use exchanges that follow KYC where they can monitor and shutdown accounts.
TeamButtcoin

Activity: 466

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 01:31:15 AM

He had to pay them an extortion fee to have the charges dropped. If he hadn't done that they would have dragged it out even longer and he would have had to keep paying more for his lawyer anyway.

It's the american dream baby. Be a LEO and steal money from hard working americans. If they resist, bankrupt them and stick em in solitary confinement and have em be in "contempt of court" to boot.

...or he isn't telling the whole story

███▄▄  ▄▄███
██▄▄   ▀▀████▀▀   ▄▄██
 ▀▀███▄▄      ▄▄███▀▀
█▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄███▀▀
█████▄▄  ▀▀▀▀  ▄▄
██  ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀
██      ▀▀██▀▀     ▄▄▄
██   ▄▄        ▄▄███▀▀
██   ▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
██▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄▄▄
▀▀███▄▄        ▄▄███▀▀
    ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
        ▀▀██▀▀
graIn..
The Backbone of
Modern Work Agreements.
███████████████
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████ ██████████████████
████ ██
████ ██
████ ██
████ ██
████
████
████
████

█████████████   █████

.Whitepaper.
█████   █████████████

████
████
████
████
██ ████
██ ████
██ ████
██ ████
██████████████████ ████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
███████████████

chopstick
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 01:40:41 AM

...or he isn't telling the whole story

No. The agency that arrested him is 100% funded by civil asset forfeiture. They wanted his money and they weren't going to let go until they got it.
akaman

Activity: 247

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 03:31:28 AM

They could imprison you forever if they even suspect you are with-holding passwords. This is also the reason why the probably made a lot of transactions shortly before the raid. They purchased a bulk of the coins than raided Burt's home to steal back their Fiat. Atrocious behavior.

So, was this a classic LBC undercover sting where an agent posed as a buyer and purchased BTC from Burt, allegedly for buying drugs online or something like that?
akaman

Activity: 247

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 03:32:07 AM

No. The agency that arrested him is 100% funded by civil asset forfeiture.

Do you have a source for this claim?
BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 04:10:55 AM

So, was this a classic LBC undercover sting where an agent posed as a buyer and purchased BTC from Burt, allegedly for buying drugs online or something like that?

This was merely for selling BTC without permission. Nothing to do with drugs, or stolen cc , ect...
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2015, 08:22:35 AM

This was merely for selling BTC without permission. Nothing to do with drugs, or stolen cc , ect...

Dude the business model was essentially providing money laundering services to dark net merchants and credit card scammers. You know in regards to financial services you don't have to be proven to be associated with illegal activity to have you assets seized, it's because there are regulations.
I know, i know the law shouldn't be the law, but he still broke it.

Hell, remember how ripple was fined a cool $1mil because they failed to report a transaction they've participated in?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2015, 08:56:46 AM

also this
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-17/bitcoin-is-officially-a-commodity-according-to-u-s-regulator
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 11:06:10 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2015, 11:24:42 AM by RoadStress

I can flood the wallet with spam transactions if you want?

Feel free to do it. You are not expecting Burt to confirm you that because he can get in trouble. Fire away!

Dude the business model was essentially providing money laundering services to dark net merchants and credit card scammers. You know in regards to financial services you don't have to be proven to be associated with illegal activity to have you assets seized, it's because there are regulations.

So it was his job to verify the source of the money? I thought it's police job to catch them. What if I steal 1k$ from you and I go to exchange them into another currency? Does this mean that the exchanger is providing me money laundering services and that they should get arrested? Sounds very illogical.

mookid

Activity: 446
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2015, 01:47:41 PM

Such an abuse of power by the government. It's crazy to think that these guys would do everything in their power to chase
normal people.
No wonder half the world hates the US.
BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 02:02:04 PM

Hell, remember how ripple was fined a cool $1mil because they failed to report a transaction they've participated in?

I am very familiar with their unethical justifications for stealing Burt's cash. I am just pointing out there is a large difference between  this case - http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Man-Pleads-Guilty-in-Miami-Dades-First-Bitcoin-Case-327888241.html  and Burt's. I don't have much sympathy for people knowingly selling bitcoins for the express purpose of purchasing stolen credit cards or murdering someone.
chopstick
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 02:07:59 PM

I am very familiar with their unethical justifications for stealing Burt's cash. I am just pointing out there is a large difference between  this case - http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Man-Pleads-Guilty-in-Miami-Dades-First-Bitcoin-Case-327888241.html  and Burt's. I don't have much sympathy for people knowingly selling bitcoins for the express purpose of purchasing stolen credit cards or murdering someone.

In the Florida case the cops set up Michael Espinoza. No one set out with the express intention to sell coins for purchasing stolen credit card numbers. Come on man don't be an idiot and trust every single thing NBC fucking news says. The media has an agenda and it's to sensationalize everything for ratings, not tell the truth.

Watch this interview with the man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acnxOEp3Mzk
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: