Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:11:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Hundred Billion Pennies  (Read 3199 times)
Severian (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 04:19:14 PM

"Current estimates by the U.S. Mint place the number of pennies in circulation at around
140 billion. Others have estimated as many as 200 billion currently circulating. "

http://www.kokogiak.com/megapenny/twelve.asp

"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4284
Merit: 3185

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 09:22:54 PM

Those two gigantic cubes of copper remind me of Warren Buffet's statement about all the gold in the world making a big cube and how it has no real value.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
dirtycat

Activity: 456

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 12:12:08 AM

is that all copper or half zinc.. they stopped making all copper pennies at some point in the 80's iirc

poop!
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 12:28:28 AM
Last edit: October 14, 2012, 08:10:58 PM by Adrian-x

Truly awesome!
just thinking of the benefit Bitcoin could have on the need to reduce all that mining.

And for reference in the early 1720's Benjamin Franklin bought 3 loaves of bread for a threepenny. (Equivalent to 1 decimal penny.)  My... has our inflationary economic machine let us down.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 09:00:18 AM

What about if you lose power? Some natural disasters knock out power for months.
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 11:18:26 AM

What about if you lose power? Some natural disasters knock out power for months.

Than there are many better things to have than gold and many other things to worry about.
Bitcoin will still work in the rest of the whole world, once power comes back you will still have your Bitcoins or if you go to a place that have power you can use them.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
Severian (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 07:38:16 PM

And for reference Benjamin Franklin bought 3 loaves of bread for a threepenny. (Equivalent to 1 decimal penny.)  My... has our inflammatory economic machine let us down.

It still amazes me that what represented fifty cents when I was a kid, a Kennedy half dollar, is now worth upwards of $12. 2400% debasement doesn't bode well for the currency.

Snag some copper coins now and sit on them for a few years. Wink
Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 08:19:28 PM

Snag some copper coins now and sit on them for a few years. Wink

Sure copper coins are almost free commodity money, they are going out of circulation in Canada soon because they cost more to produce than they represent in Fiat.

Pennies lie unclaimed in the streets on my way to work, the crack addicts don't even bother to pick them up I suspect because of fear of injury when bending over. (It is sad but they still see more value in picking up a cigarette buts and fighting over the deposit of pop cans)

Severian (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 09:19:01 PM

I suspect because of fear of injury when bending over.

It's back-breaking work picking up free pennies in the street all day when a crackhead's time could be put to better use by just stealing something instead.
Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 09:54:51 PM

I think drugs are subserviced by tax payers in my neighborhood; I was once opposed to the whole idea until an enlightening lunch with Richard Branson made me aware that it is a medical problem and not a criminal one, I don't think about it anymore. (That's probably why they pick up cigarette buts and not pennies)

But none the less there was a time when one could live a modest life off just $0.05 a day and still pay 10% to tax and 10% to charity.

Just the Pennies in circulation today (less inflation) could feed and maintain over 100,000,000 people for a year.

allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 07:19:25 AM

That is a lot of pennies! Canada is getting rid of the penny!

J.Socal

Activity: 495
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 06:28:52 AM

Try the US debt.http://www.usdebtclock.org/   
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 08:01:37 PM

Someone in my city actually made a "penny sorting machine" somehow.  It detects the real copper pennies (1983 or prior I believe) and puts them in one bucket, while throwing the zinc-infused pennies into a different bucket.  He goes to banks and buys as many pennies as he can, puts them through the sorter, and saves all the pure-copper ones.  He had something like a dozen 5-gallon buckets full of them.  Someday, when it is legal to melt them, he's going to have a nice chunk of change (MULTI-PUN!) from this.

I'd just like to know how to create such a machine.  Wink
dirtycat

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 10:42:56 PM

Someone in my city actually made a "penny sorting machine" somehow.  It detects the real copper pennies (1983 or prior I believe) and puts them in one bucket, while throwing the zinc-infused pennies into a different bucket.  He goes to banks and buys as many pennies as he can, puts them through the sorter, and saves all the pure-copper ones.  He had something like a dozen 5-gallon buckets full of them.  Someday, when it is legal to melt them, he's going to have a nice chunk of change (MULTI-PUN!) from this.

nobody will know your melting them unless you like to talk.  Grin

poop!
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 10:46:00 PM

nobody will know your melting them unless you like to talk.  Grin
Well, true, but I'd be more likely to hold them for a while than to attempt melting them myself.  I don't have a smelter, or capabilities for performing such a feat.  Not to mention, some people might begin to question my source for random hunks of copper.
Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 01:47:59 AM
Last edit: October 19, 2012, 04:20:07 AM by Adrian-x

Someone in my city actually made a "penny sorting machine" somehow.  It detects the real copper pennies (1983 or prior I believe) and puts them in one bucket, while throwing the zinc-infused pennies into a different bucket.  He goes to banks and buys as many pennies as he can, puts them through the sorter, and saves all the pure-copper ones.  He had something like a dozen 5-gallon buckets full of them.  Someday, when it is legal to melt them, he's going to have a nice chunk of change (MULTI-PUN!) from this.

I'd just like to know how to create such a machine.  Wink

Some cardboard and a magnet (salvaged from an old hard drive.) + a little ingenuity should do it.

Not sure on the exact composition but I have 2 - 2012 Canadian pennies and 1 is magnetic and the other is not.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 01:51:27 AM

Some cardboard and a magnet (salvaged from an old hard drive.) + a little ingenuity should do it.

Not sure on the exact composition but I have 2 - 2012 Canadian pennies and 1 is magnetic and the other sent.

Hmmm...  ^.^
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4284
Merit: 3185

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 03:41:38 AM

I estimate (roughly) that a dozen 5-gallon buckets means about a $5000 profit (about $.015 per penny). I seems like a lot of money, but what about the amount of time spent buying and sorting all those coins. I'm guessing it isn't a very high-paying job.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
dirtycat

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 04:15:56 AM

I estimate (roughly) that a dozen 5-gallon buckets means about a $5000 profit (about $.015 per penny). I seems like a lot of money, but what about the amount of time spent buying and sorting all those coins. I'm guessing it isn't a very high-paying job.

true.. having to collect all the coins sort em out.. if you decide to melt em you need propane or some type of fuel.. some cement to make a foundry furnace (or buy one  Tongue).  A lot of work for what its worth.  To sell copper over here you need to show your ID and give a fingerprint but that rarely happens from what I am told.. and I think it only applies to copper wire and pipe not ingots.  Then good luck finding a place that will give you a good price per pound. I have met a lot of people talking about doing this but have yet to hear one of them attempting it.

poop!
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 04:52:51 AM

Good point!  I suppose many people probably feel like they'll be worth more in the future, but if that's the case, why not buy copper directly?

true.. having to collect all the coins sort em out.. if you decide to melt em you need propane or some type of fuel.. some cement to make a foundry furnace (or buy one  Tongue).  A lot of work for what its worth.  To sell copper over here you need to show your ID and give a fingerprint but that rarely happens from what I am told.. and I think it only applies to copper wire and pipe not ingots.  Then good luck finding a place that will give you a good price per pound. I have met a lot of people talking about doing this but have yet to hear one of them attempting it.
Why would you melt them?  Just leave them in coin form and sell them that way, same as everyone does with silver and gold coins.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: