Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:27:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there evidence that there is a correlation between difficulty and price?  (Read 2613 times)
Este Nuno (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 10:08:49 PM

And if so why do you think that is? What causes demand to go up? Supply stays more or less consistent from mining until the reward is halved. So I'm a little unclear on this.

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 10:13:47 PM

I would expect there to be a correlation. As the price of BTC goes up, there will be more miners, and thus higher difficulty.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 10:14:51 PM

And if so why do you think that is? What causes demand to go up? Supply stays more or less consistent from mining until the reward is halved. So I'm a little unclear on this.
When price is high compared to difficulty, miners invest in more equipment and difficulty goes up.  When price is low and difficulty high, mining becomes unprofitable for many miners.  They stop mining to save electricity, and difficulty goes down.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 11:04:32 PM

Is there evidence that there is a correlation between difficulty and price?
No

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 11:36:59 PM

I suspect your question is not really about correlation. You can look at the graphs of price and difficulty and the correlation is obvious.

Perhaps what you really want ask is "Does difficulty affect price?"

I don't think it does, at least not directly. I don't think anyone has come up with a good reason why it would. On the other hand, it could said be that as the difficulty goes up (or the reward goes down) the number of people mining will go down. Some of them might lose interest and that will result in a lower demand for bitcoins.

Supply stays more or less consistent from mining until the reward is halved.

The supply of BTC for sale continues to rise because mining increases the general amount of BTC. The amount of BTC sold on MtGox is 10 times the total amount of BTC being mined, so I don't think that halving the reward will make a noticeable difference in the supply of BTC for sale.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
trogdorjw73

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 05:03:32 AM

No
Wrong. As the others are pointing out, there's a strong correlation between difficulty and price. Difficulty doesn't affect price, of course, but price affects difficulty. I mine for coins, and I'm profitable above around $4 per BTC right now. I used to be profitable above $2 per BTC, but difficulty has more than doubled since that time, and that trend seems set to continue. When the reward halving occurs, I'll need the price to be at $8 or more to realistically turn a meaningful profit.

myself
Legendary

Activity: 938

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 05:06:48 AM

No
Wrong. As the others are pointing out, there's a strong correlation between difficulty and price. Difficulty doesn't affect price, of course, but price affects difficulty. I mine for coins, and I'm profitable above around $4 per BTC right now. I used to be profitable above $2 per BTC, but difficulty has more than doubled since that time, and that trend seems set to continue. When the reward halving occurs, I'll need the price to be at $8 or more to realistically turn a meaningful profit.
do something
1 open excel
2 take the price on mtgox since day one
3 take the diff since mtgox did open
4 plot a chart with price and diff in % change not value

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 05:49:04 AM

No
do something
1 open excel

well it's not 1:1, but a rising price clearly means that you can expect to see rising difficulty soon after! Wink

trogdorjw73

Activity: 482

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 07:45:59 AM

No
do something
1 open excel

well it's not 1:1, but a rising price clearly means that you can expect to see rising difficulty soon after! Wink
Exactly. No one said 1:1; they said a "correlation". Obviously there's *some* correlation, so the question is pretty silly as such. Is there a correlation between temperatures outside and the seasons of the year?

firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 04:11:39 AM

Also, as the difficulty goes up - miners make less - resulting in longer periods between selling. This can (and imo does) affect price. If you're close to the edge on your profitability you don't sell below a certain rate.

sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 10:52:53 AM

Also, as the difficulty goes up - miners make less - resulting in longer periods between selling. This can (and imo does) affect price. If you're close to the edge on your profitability you don't sell below a certain rate.
No, miners still make the same in total.  And because the combined daily volume at the exchanges is several orders of magnitude higher than the daily volume of mined coins, I doubt mining has any noticeable effect on the price right now.  Half of the coins which will ever exist have been mined already, and many miners choose to keep their coins.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 10:55:07 AM

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 11:54:00 AM

difficulty follows price (all else being equal)... it's as simple as that. People thinking it's the other way around must think again.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
bracek

Activity: 530

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 11:55:52 AM

as difficulty rises, we can assume that the actual number of individuals mining is rising,
in other words,
the number of people wanting to acquire bitcoin is rising,
some of them could get impatient and acquire bitcoin faster ( by buying it )
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 12:23:37 PM

as difficulty rises, we can assume that the actual number of individuals mining is rising,
in other words,

Or we can assume it's the same number of people wanting more bitcoins more badly or even just improved technology.
Este Nuno (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 01:35:14 PM

When I posted this I actually was asking for evidence of correlation between price and difficulty, in the quantitative sense. I have not followed the mining arms race specifically, and I thought that there was at least potential for the difficulty to have risen over time independent of current market price. Theoretically, as a speculative move, someone could both purchase bitcoins, and mine them at break even or loss in the short term because they believed the future price would justify the mining at a loss, and that directly purchasing bitcoins might drive the price too high in a thin market, and therefore both buying and mining might be rational. I can imagine this being the case in the early stages of bitcoin for example.

I realize now that the difficulty has followed the price fairly closely in an apparently somewhat efficient matter. And that the market of miners are more or less just following their personal break even points with regard to the price of bitcoin and their electricity price. 

So at this point I can see that price and difficulty are in fact highly correlated, and changes in difficulty are primarily caused by changes in price.
bracek

Activity: 530

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 01:40:31 PM

in other words,

Or we can assume it's the same number of people wanting more bitcoins more badly or even just improved technology.

in both cases, desire is increasing
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 02:08:09 PM

in other words,

in both cases, desire is increasing

You lost count that's 2 of 3 cases.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 02:11:16 PM

in other words,

OR we could assume that some newbies decided to mine instead of buy bitcoins and that's bad for price.

OR we could assume the new miners are botnets and/or gamers who just want to make a quick fiat buck and will sell all mining income and that's bad for price.

OR we can make the most sane assumption that the difficulty simply rises because mining profitability has risen (most likely due to a rise in exchange rate, but maybe also due to better technology being delivered or energy cost falling (yeah right))

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 02:12:57 PM

So at this point I can see that price and difficulty are in fact highly correlated, and changes in difficulty are primarily caused by changes in price.

cool!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: