Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:56:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitium is the fundamental resource that we mine and exchange  (Read 2279 times)
Bitium (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 09:18:44 AM
Last edit: October 16, 2012, 02:51:57 AM by Bitium

Some people would like bitcoins to be more tangible - see for example this thread and the associated youtube video...  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=109409.0

Well, there is a scarce, indestructible and ownable (if not quite "tangible") resource present in the bitcoin system, and it helps to have a term that refers specifically to this - I propose Bitium (symbol Bt)

The name is chosen to resemble a chemical element, to make this concept as tangible as possible for the doubters.

Bitium is the resource which we mine and exchange, bitcoins and Satoshis are merely two of the units of Bitium, there may be others in future.

Bitium is currently discovered at a rate of 50 bitcoins per block, and once created (and confirmed!) is never subsequently destroyed (although ownership of it can be completely lost).

Bitium is an uncountable noun like money (or gold), you ask how MUCH of it you have; bitcoins are like dollars, pounds or yen, you ask how MANY of them you have

Bitium is logically distinct from the blockchain. The blockchain records all of the Bitium that has been discovered, and also records the Bitium ownership and transfer rules. But Bitium exists regardless of who currently owns it.

As the fundamental resource which will soon be coordinating most of the activity of the human race, I think Bitium deserves a permanent capital letter too!

I'm interested in your opinions whether this is a useful term to introduce or not...
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 10:29:01 AM

I'm fine with using the word "Bitcoin" for both the resource being considered (capitalized) and a unit of measurement for that resource (not capitalized).

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
corvaxmuzzy

Activity: 20

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 03:33:04 PM

Bitium, was that a serious post?
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 05:33:41 PM

I dunno, maybe this would reach a goldbug better than "triple accounting shared ledger."
Bitium (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 06:37:58 PM

Bitium, was that a serious post?

@corvaxmuzzy - it was, although the line about capitalizing Bitium was intended to be tongue-in-cheek.

Bitium (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 06:43:04 PM

I dunno, maybe this would reach a goldbug better than "triple accounting shared ledger."

Yes, this is aimed squarely at goldbugs and those who prefer to think that some "substance" is being mined, owned and distributed

Thats why I wanted to find a non-countable term that was a variation of somethingium. Perhaps someone can suggest a better?
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 06:47:53 PM

Just be sure you don't accept any coins made from the compound Bitium scamide

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 06:58:46 PM

I actually kind of like the idea of Bitium. I always just referred to it as "Bitcoin," but Bitium sounds cooler, haha. I suggest we don't capitalize the b, though. You write "gold" not "Gold." So we should write "bitium" not "Bitium." It's kind of a useless idea, but I like it anyways. Smiley

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
Bitium (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 07:03:17 PM

ha ha, nice one.

Of course, Cryptium (the generic substance created by any proof-of-work algorithm) has a couple of isotopes discovered already, main ones being Bitium and Litium. I wonder what happens if you mix them...
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 11:52:21 PM

ha ha, nice one.

Of course, Cryptium (the generic substance created by any proof-of-work algorithm) has a couple of isotopes discovered already, main ones being Bitium and Litium. I wonder what happens if you mix them...
Nothing. They're almost completely inert and can coexist just fine, though it's likely that only one will ever be really valuable. They also can't be bound to protein molecules, a fact which some people can't seem to grasp. Cryptium is only known to react with elements of the Scamide group (of which Ponzium is the most reactive).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Goldbarr

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 02:10:21 AM

What about Bitcoinium?
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 04:28:21 AM

How _exactly_ would you pronounce that?

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
BlackHeartFund

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 05:24:35 AM

Hey guys I just registered bitium.com, let's make it the official name of something so I get rich.

FIFY
Bitium (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 06:16:58 AM

How _exactly_ would you pronounce that?

Bit-ium, not Bite-ium or Bish-ium
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 06:31:19 AM

If you start peddling the idea that Bitcoin is backed by an actual resource/commodity, you're going to make it very easy for it to be brought under existing laws related to e-currencies in some places and I'm not sure that's what you're really aiming for.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 06:48:47 AM

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
bce

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 07:24:56 AM

If you start peddling the idea that Bitcoin is backed by an actual resource/commodity, you're going to make it very easy for it to be brought under existing laws related to e-currencies in some places and I'm not sure that's what you're really aiming for.

Yeah maybe for bitcoin to be considered a commodity, not a currency - it's best for that commodity to simply be called bitcoin.  But if bitcoin were a virtual currency backing a virtual commodity, Bitcoinium has my vote (this would be pointless, though).  Bitium sounds too much like Bitumen (heavy crude oil).
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 11:06:33 AM

bitium makes it sound like it belongs on the periodic table of elements. which it never would. there are many commodities that dont have an ium at the end.. and the same goes for currencies too.. so why bother..

gold and silver are not 'iums' so theres no point making bitcoin an ium.. i personally think iums should be reserverd for items on the periodic table. so if silver and gold, which are on the periodic table have not had to be reverted to silverium or goldium, then i cannot see any point in why one person should fight to get bitcoin replaced to bitium.. its false advertising..

bitcoins are/wll be a commodity and currency, not an periodic table element.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 02:08:18 PM

Some people would like bitcoins to be more tangible - see for example this thread and the associated youtube video...  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=109409.0

Well, there is a scarce, indestructible and ownable (if not quite "tangible") resource present in the bitcoin system, and it helps to have a term that refers specifically to this - I propose Bitium (symbol Bt)

I like it.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 06:29:14 PM

Why not UnobBITtanium?  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: