Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:33:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Overvolting  (Read 591 times)
cwendel001 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:30:58 AM

I've been lurking on these boards for about a month now and finally decided to join. I was utterly impressed by the support from the entire community and would first like to thank everyone within the community for helping me get my hardware up and running, (from CPU, to GPU, and now finally ASICs!) even though we may have never directly spoken.

That being said though I'd love to get a little bit more information about overvolting. I've seen some threads where everyone discusses overclocking, and even a couple of threads where some upper limits on overvoltage are discussed but it was fairly minimal. I've set my clock frequency on both of my Antminers to about 237, because that seems to be where they are most stable. One miner averages roundabouts 500GH/s and the other runs about 40-60Gh/s slower than that at the same clock frequency for some odd reason. What I was wondering though is whether or not I should overvolt the machine to help that along, or has Bitmain set up the controller to automatically adjust voltage to match desired clock speed? I've been struggling to find these things out.

If you need some specific information:
 2 Antminer S3+ (I bought these seconhand so I'm not sure the batch number)
 2 EVGA 500W 80 Plus PSU with splitters to supply each rail (yes, I know probably not the best choice, but since the miners were second hand I wanted to make sure they worked before buying Gold PSUs)
 According to the miner interfaces, the chips on each board are all working properly at 237M. If i got above that, I'll usually have at least one chip fault out on a board.
 It may not matter, but if for some odd reason it does, I disabled the WiFi interfaces on each machine and run Ethernet cables to both. I did this because one of the WiFi adapters was being fussy and after accidentally deleting the Wifi interface and having to reset the machine to factory, I decided to keep a physical connection. Sometimes wires are just more simple  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:37:26 AM

I overvolted my S3+ for a while and they ran at almost 600Gh/s but I changed it back because I felt like they were going to melt or explode.

You need to take the miner apart and mod each resistor to overvolt. Alot of work.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
cwendel001 (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:39:30 AM

Oh, really? So then the software voltage setting in the interface is more just for looks then and not to actually overvolt?
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:41:03 AM

Oh, really? So then the software voltage setting in the interface is more just for looks then and not to actually overvolt?

Yeah it doesn't do anything, but setting the clock works.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:44:22 AM

There is no value in overvolting an S3 by turning up the supply voltage. The Core voltage for the ASIC's are supplied by Buck Converters not directly from the Supply as in the S5 & S7. The best you can do is to take the frequency up in steps monitoring the HW error rate & get the max from from each miner.

If you want to up the voltage getting to the chips then you will need to do the "pencil Mod" to increase the voltage coming from the Buck Converters. There is a thread on the Forum covering this if you search. Note that most people will have been reducing the voltage to improve efficiency.

Finally I would suggest you make sure you buy a Kill A Watt to monitor the power being taken and do some maths on the Power. Hash Rate etc to ensure that with your electricity price you will be better off increasing the voltage & hash rate.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
cwendel001 (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:48:44 AM

That's actually something I was a bit curious about to. Eventually, if I were ever to get really serious and buy a new S7, I would probably sit down and do some math to figure out some kind of voltage/speed/profit for the given miner. For the time being with secondhand units and being a newbie though I was just wanting to get my feet a little wet. Thank you for the help!
cwendel001 (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 09:02:34 AM

Yeah it doesn't do anything, but setting the clock works.

That would probably explain why I haven't seen to many post regarding the voltage in the interface then. As RichBC said below, I have seen quite a lot more about undervolting to squeeze every dollar possible. For the time being though, this a fun little hobby. Thank you!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: