Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:36:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing AltCoin Wallet in Ubuntu  (Read 1538 times)
Cryptonitex (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 02:56:35 AM

I donno if this is the correct forum, but I'm having a bit of trouble with installing my VeriCoin wallet on Ubuntu.
After Windows 10 catastrophe I decided to move from Windows 10 to Ubuntu. So I moved all my VeriCoin to another wallet so I could install a new fresh wallet on my Ubuntu computer. Well, now I'm stuck because no matter what I do, I can't get this wallet to be installed. Here's what I've tried so far.

I went to the VeriCoin website: VeriCoin.info and I downloaded the 64 bit version for the linux wallet, because I'm running on the 64 bit operating system. Sometimes it won't download the wallet and it'll make FireFox crash. Sometimes it does download. (too bad I can't show pictures, if I can, I don't know how yet)

After it downloads, I try to run the file. After about an hour of the file trying to open, I get an error message. After this I really don't know what to do. Is there another way to install the wallet? Am I doing something incorrect? I also posted this on the VeriCoin forums, but technical help usually takes days to figure out. I hope one of you could help me out.

Here's a link to my original post (with pictures).

https://www.vericoinforums.com/threads/ubuntu-wallet-am-i-doing-it-wrong.1108/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6637

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 03:48:35 AM

You don't just double click on that file, it will open up as a huge text file. Instead, you need to use several terminal commands.

Open up the terminal, and navigate to the directory that contains the file
type
Code:
chmod +x VeriCoin_1.6.2_64bit.run
Then type
Code:
./VeriCoin_1.6.2_64bit.run
This will run the script and it should install everything.

foxkyu

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 05:01:25 AM

I donno if this is the correct forum, but I'm having a bit of trouble with installing my VeriCoin wallet on Ubuntu.
After Windows 10 catastrophe I decided to move from Windows 10 to Ubuntu. So I moved all my VeriCoin to another wallet so I could install a new fresh wallet on my Ubuntu computer. Well, now I'm stuck because no matter what I do, I can't get this wallet to be installed. Here's what I've tried so far.

I went to the VeriCoin website: VeriCoin.info and I downloaded the 64 bit version for the linux wallet, because I'm running on the 64 bit operating system. Sometimes it won't download the wallet and it'll make FireFox crash. Sometimes it does download. (too bad I can't show pictures, if I can, I don't know how yet)

After it downloads, I try to run the file. After about an hour of the file trying to open, I get an error message. After this I really don't know what to do. Is there another way to install the wallet? Am I doing something incorrect? I also posted this on the VeriCoin forums, but technical help usually takes days to figure out. I hope one of you could help me out.

Here's a link to my original post (with pictures).

https://www.vericoinforums.com/threads/ubuntu-wallet-am-i-doing-it-wrong.1108/
Take a look the tutorial here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=460178.msg9007912#msg9007912
install all the packages and dependencies, download souce code, and then install the wallet
Cryptonitex (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 05:21:46 PM

The VRC community is telling me that the wallet can't be ran on Ubuntu for some reason...

If they have a Linux wallet, why does it not run on Ubuntu? So what does it run on?
blxlihnk

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 06:52:00 AM

on linux mint and ubuntu,  I use Wine to open the.exe wallet
it works fine with quark wallet
Cryptonitex (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 08:37:09 AM

Didn't think of that. But better safe than sorry. If the wallet don't wanna work on Ubuntu, I'm not going to force it.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 09:50:06 AM

I had the same issue with some other coin wallet some weeks ago. I followed this tutorial http://groestlcoin.org/forum/index.php?topic=97.0
Just change the github link to your desired coin. Worked fine for me!
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 12:55:10 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of linux friend.

First thing's first, compile from source!

Any coin/oss project/etc worth a half a shit will have install directions. In coin projects this can be found  in the 'doc' directory. In your case, you want to follow these instructions

https://github.com/vericoin/vericoin/blob/master/doc/readme-qt.rst

on how to compile the Qt wallet.

This process only really comes in two flavors, this one being the qmake method.. the other uses autotools. The dependencies to compile the software is generally all the same though.

cryptonote based coins are a little different though, but again, the doc's will tell you what you need to do to cook the wallet..

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 12:36:01 PM

What happen with Windows 10 ? You can even use older Windows like Windows 8  Grin With Linux you can always expect problems with software installing, it is for all Linux systems  Wink
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 08:59:45 PM

lol is it opposite day already? man time flies....

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: