Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:16:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: hey all  (Read 1137 times)
MaxSoocha (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 08:09:11 PM

Just getting started with bitcoin.
Saw a link on reddit and ended up here. I've watched some videos and it's very confusing but it basically seems like digital money that is made with special computer servers.
Anyways I hope to learn a lot here.
I just bought 0.23 bitcoin at coinbase, they are legit right?
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2015, 08:14:59 PM

congrats on your first bitcoins, and yes, coinbase is legit.

here's the bitcoin wiki http://en.bitcoinwiki.org/Main_Page - check it out Smiley

MaxSoocha (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 08:31:16 PM

Thanks for the wiki link.
So below my first post is a banner for "magical dice".
Looks to be a gambling game where I can earn more bitcoin. Is this legal? Also can I trust this site since it's on bitcointalk?
dloghwak

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 09:04:09 PM

Looks to be a gambling game where I can earn more bitcoin. Is this legal? Also can I trust this site since it's on bitcointalk?
Do you see the two sentences right under the banner?
"Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction"
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 09:15:13 PM

Yes, it's legal in some sense... but I wouldn't invest your first bitcoins for gambling.  Hold on to them for now and keep steadily buying more bitcoin when you can afford them.  The price for bitcoin right now is very low and is a good time to invest, in my opinion... A lot of controversy is hanging over bitcoin with block sizes and the like, but a lot of good in the block chain market is happening right now like the interest banks are starting to have with it's uses/functionality.

The advertisements bitcoin put out are of sites that won't scam your coins, but probably not be a good investment route.  Gambling always comes with a very high risk.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2015, 09:21:51 PM

You should be very with everything here. Just some thing you might not expect.

#1 illegal or legal is rarely clear, the board has rules against illegal goods / deals, but they are hard to follow through because no one here knows your juristiction. This is also true for gambling. If gambling in your country is illegal or requires a special permit you might do something illegal, but the boards staff can not and will not check for that for every one.

#2 scammers are not banned they might get marked, sometimes even in advance based on a hunch, but they are still allowed to post. This mark will only be seen in certain sections.

#3 if you send someone (be that a service or a person) your coins, you can not reverse the transaction.

#4 many here sell their signature (the box below their posts), esp. higher rank users can get several cents worth of bitcoin per post. Thus some might post just to increase their postcount. You should keep that in mind when you read answers to questions. They might have their purse in mind, not you.

Edit:

Oh, and welcome Wink

Ah and yes the 360 seconds time to wait between posts gets better over time.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
MaxSoocha (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 09:22:56 PM

Do you see the two sentences right under the banner?
"Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction"

Huh, that seems really weird that they would not screen the advertisements.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2015, 09:24:37 PM

Welcome to bitcointalk!
There is a lot to learn here so you have come to the right place.
As for the gambling stuff, be wary of putting your money anywhere that is not in your control. There are a lot of scammers out there and you never know when someone might close their site and run off with all the coins. So if you do decide to play those games, only play with very small amounts that you wouldn't mind losing.

iCan

Activity: 574
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 09:29:40 PM

Saw a link on reddit and ended up here. I've watched some videos and it's very confusing but it basically seems like digital money that is made with special computer servers.
Better multiply them on Cryptocurrency Exchange. Gambling game is more for fun, not for earning.

MaxSoocha (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 09:36:28 PM

Can't they just trace where the bitcoin go from the scammer and catch them when they withdraw back to their bank through coinbase?
Thanks for the tips guys, I will just leave my bitcoin safely with coinbase.
coinableS
Legendary

Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2015, 09:39:30 PM

Can't they just trace where the bitcoin go from the scammer and catch them when they withdraw back to their bank through coinbase?

Yea you can try to follow where the outputs go, but it would be difficult. A lot of scammers will start splitting it up among multiple addresses to make it difficult to trace. Also they use "mixers" which can clean coins (it's essentially money laundering for bitcoins). Or people will use the stolen coins to invest in altcoins and then trade them back in later for clean bitcoins. Scammers will also sell on the street or through other services, not everyone uses Coinbase.

iCan

Activity: 574
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 09:40:43 PM

There are a lot of services like bitcoin mixer. So it might be impossible to trace.

bobc1994

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2015, 10:35:32 PM

Welcome to Bitcointalk MaxSoocha
Here you will be able to know more things about Bitcoin.

MaxSoocha (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 11:56:19 PM

Where can I go to learn to use bitcoin on a website? I can code and I think I want to make a bitcoin site.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 12:06:18 AM

Where can I go to learn to use bitcoin on a website? I can code and I think I want to make a bitcoin site.
There is a website called www.CoinLearn.org, where you may learn and earn bitcoin for free.

Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 12:15:58 PM

First of all welcome!

The opportunities for learning are everywhere. Just type Bitcoin into Google and start. Just to warn you, you will need a lot of time, but that's OK, since this technology is truly amazing. It's impossible to learn everything since Bitcoin is evolving and improving daily.

Also if you have any questions, we are here to help so don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck!
RoverTron

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 12:50:05 PM

First of all welcome!

The opportunities for learning are everywhere. Just type Bitcoin into Google and start. Just to warn you, you will need a lot of time, but that's OK, since this technology is truly amazing. It's impossible to learn everything since Bitcoin is evolving and improving daily.

Also if you have any questions, we are here to help so don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck!

That's true. You should read, read, read. Be conscious of your actions.

If you want to gamble try to find topic which I've made week ago. There are some advices. But be reasonable. It's fun and provide a lot of emotions but you can lost everything. Good luck!
Denker
Legendary

Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 01:02:13 PM

Welcome mate! It's always great to see new interested members coming in. Smiley
This forum is a good place to learn and get to know as much as you can.
In the bitcoin subreddit you also will find always the latest news and infos.
So don't be shy and have fun. Smiley
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2015, 06:33:56 PM

Welcome to bitcoin world.
For learn more about bitcoin, also you can read bitcoin pdf by Satoshi Nakamoto.
Infographic which you can easily compared bitcoin with fiat.

You means build a faucet?
cefen6777

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 06:34:47 PM

congratulations for joining i hope you will earn a lot of bitcoins
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: