Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:11:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: ELECTRUM WALLET STOLEN 6 BTC  (Read 2831 times)
greenland (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 02:36:49 AM

I logged into tails clicked on electrum icon and nothing came up ,i tried several times also there were no files for electrum either.
 I had the seed so i put that into a new electrum wallet and it recovered the wallet only to see 0 balance and no record of my transactions , all gone. Can someone help me?   Angry

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 03:22:24 AM

I logged into tails clicked on electrum icon and nothing came up ,i tried several times also there were no files for electrum either.
 I had the seed so i put that into a new electrum wallet and it recovered the wallet only to see 0 balance and no record of my transactions , all gone. Can someone help me?   Angry

Is the wallet synced? Confirm that the light at the bottom right is green, if it is not then click on the red button, UN-tick the Auto-Connect box and choose another Server from the list below and click 'OK'. Wait till it syncs and turns green, you will hopefully see your funds there.

Other thing you can do to make sure that the funds are in your wallet is check your address balance at any block-explorer like Blockchain.info and if it shows the funds then don't worry as it is just a temporary glitch with Electrum or your network and your funds are intact.

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 07:35:06 AM

and no record of my transactions.

that means your problem is not theft.
if it was theft, you would see your history.

either you are not connected, or you typed a wrong seed.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 07:41:59 AM

I had the seed so i put that into a new electrum wallet and it recovered the wallet only to see 0 balance and no record of my transactions , all gone. Can someone help me?   Angry

Tails does not store data, it is designed that way. Did you write down the seed (after you 1st set up the wallet) and restored the wallet from said seed?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
greenland (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 09:20:14 AM

Hello. The wallet is synced (green light) still 0 balance. I checked the addresses through blockchain and it only shows the transaction details from a week ago not the current balance of the wallet .
The seed i typed is the correct one 100% sure and it shows a 0 balance for that wallet seed ,no transaction history, no addresses just a 0 BTC balance.
Electrum history in Tails is  stored in persistant volume but there are no sign of files for electrum. I have over 100 transactions and nothing showing in the history(in the recovered wallet)
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2015, 09:55:45 AM

Hello. The wallet is synced (green light) still 0 balance. I checked the addresses through blockchain and it only shows the transaction details from a week ago not the current balance of the wallet.
The seed i typed is the correct one 100% sure and it shows a 0 balance for that wallet seed ,no transaction history, no addresses just a 0 BTC balance.
Electrum history in Tails is  stored in persistant volume but there are no sign of files for electrum. I have over 100 transactions and nothing showing in the history(in the recovered wallet)

So, just to sum it up because Im not entirely sure I understand you.

- You have the seed.
- You can restore from the seed and get the same address you had in the past.
- All your coins are still where they should be if you check with a blockchain explorer
- Electrum claims to be fully snyced
- The information electrum shows does not match with the information you get from a blockchain explorer, as in electrum shows you nothing where there should be more than nothing

Did you try the rescan blockchain thing? Preferably with a different electrum server.

greenland (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 01:20:34 PM

Yes still no luck

- i had 6 BTC in my Electrum wallet which used many times 100+
- logged into tails persistant volume
- clicked on electrum icon nothing happened, tried several times ,must be missing
- Got the seed from the  missing wallet and put it into a new electrum wallet on new tails
- wallet recovered from the seed ,0 balance and no other transaction info at all
- synced
- still have old receive addresses
- put them in Blockchain explorer and it only showed the most recent transaction a week ago, not the current balance

Probably the main Q to you guys is WHY DID IT VANISH IN THE FIRST PLACE from tails?  ive been using it for months no worries.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2015, 01:25:45 PM

Yes still no luck

- i had 6 BTC in my Electrum wallet which used many times 100+
- logged into tails persistant volume
- clicked on electrum icon nothing happened, tried several times ,must be missing
- Got the seed from the  missing wallet and put it into a new electrum wallet on new tails
- wallet recovered from the seed ,0 balance and no other transaction info at all
- synced
- still have old receive addresses
- put them in Blockchain explorer and it only showed the most recent transaction a week ago, not the current balance

A blockchain explorer can not show your wallets balance as it has no clue which addresses are yours. It can only show a single address and its balance/TXs.

Probably the main Q to you guys is WHY DID IT VANISH IN THE FIRST PLACE from tails?  ive been using it for months no worries.

Not sure what the problem with tails or the persistant drive is, but electrum should restore from seed just fine.

Do you have a different system you can use to test this? Maybe someone you trust with the seed?

gablay12
Legendary

Activity: 918

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 01:28:57 PM

Relax, your BTC is there.Sometimes it happens.You can change your internet browser and try again.

If your BTC was stolen, not systematic error you would have seen the BTC transfer.

The more I meet people, the more I like my dog.
Hellacopter

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 01:32:20 PM

Just to reassure yourself, try to download a portable version, click on "restore wallet" and insert your old seed.
I'm pretty sure you're gonna get all your Bitcoins.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2015, 01:33:07 PM

Relax, your BTC is there.Sometimes it happens.You can change your internet browser and try again.

If your BTC was stolen, not systematic error you would have seen the BTC transfer.

What the hell are you talking about?

greenland (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 01:34:08 PM

I can try a different machine, ill give that a go thanks for replies i hope its there somewhere. I will update.
snipie
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 1140

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2015, 01:40:07 PM

What the hell are you talking about?
Apparently he think electrum is a web wallet... But impressive how confident the answer was.

@OP: i think it is sync problem.
Hope you find it in your wallet.

wpsd

Activity: 41

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 02:58:15 AM

I think I found the culprit, correct me If I'm wrong

It happen when you using "Use change address" in the Tool > Preferences
Every time you send or receive a bitcoin the remaining balance will be move to a new address

You can check in the History tab and show details from one of the transaction
In the output part (usually the 2nd line) is your new wallet address

Now the old address that you use to send or receive will be gone, and you can check the new one in the Address tab under the Change > Used ( default hidden ) where your remaining balance are.
bitbaby

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 04:21:21 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2015, 05:12:17 AM by bitbaby

Every time you send or receive a bitcoin the remaining balance will be move to a new address

Now the old address that you use to send or receive will be gone, and you can check the new one in the Address tab under the Change > Used ( default hidden ) where your remaining balance are.

Even if you're right and the balance was send to one of the change addresses, the Electrum wallet balance will show the exact remaining balance at the lower left corner but according to OP it shows '0' and there is no history of any transactions, so I don't think that's it.

@OP, did anytime during your usage of Electrum, did you import a Private-key/Address?? Because if you did then storing the Electrum from it's seed won't bring the imported addresses back in a wallet. Also, do you remember what was the last transaction you did? it might help you figure out, where and how much you send and how much was remaining balance in your wallet and which particular address had it.

Edit: I am just wondering is it possible OP while using the Electrum had new addresses which were created as he kept making transactions, and the wallet he restored from seed is not showing the addresses which were created in old Electrum?

Code:
wallet.accounts[0].create_new_address(0)
 -- this one for address in receive tab.

or

Code:
wallet.accounts[0].create_new_address(1) 
-- this one for address in change tab.

Try these commands and they might add the address which previously was created in the other wallet and have coins but is not created in the wallet you created from the seed.

wpsd

Activity: 41

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 01:48:12 AM

I'm curious with this problem, since I planning to use it as cold wallet for my organization

Even if you're right and the balance was send to one of the change addresses, the Electrum wallet balance will show the exact remaining balance at the lower left corner but according to OP it shows '0' and there is no history of any transactions, so I don't think that's it.

Yeah I didn't notice that one  Cheesy, should put it in more visible place
bitcoinboy12

Activity: 518
Merit: 254

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 03:59:33 PM

Sir you gonna try this solution. First you need to create new with other wallet name after you finish the wallet click the file in the top left and then click open
and goto this location C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Electrum\wallets
after that you can see wallets there click your wallet that where 6btc stored... and try and wait to finished the sync.solved?..
then update here if your problem not solve.. i will try my best to help you...

greenland (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 07:45:02 PM

@OP, did anytime during your usage of Electrum, did you import a Private-key/Address?? Because if you did then storing the Electrum from it's seed won't bring the imported addresses back in a wallet. Also, do you remember what was the last transaction you did? it might help you figure out, where and how much you send and how much was remaining balance in your wallet and which particular address had it.

Edit: I am just wondering is it possible OP while using the Electrum had new addresses which were created as he kept making transactions, and the wallet he restored from seed is not showing the addresses which were created in old Electrum?

Code:
wallet.accounts[0].create_new_address(0)
 -- this one for address in receive tab.

or

Code:
wallet.accounts[0].create_new_address(1) 
-- this one for address in change tab.

Try these commands and they might add the address which previously was created in the other wallet and have coins but is not created in the wallet you created from the seed.

Hello im not having much luck with it. I cant access another computer atm  to start a new Electrum to try to recover the seed again.
 I do remember the last receiving transaction, it was after i withdrew to my electrum wallet from this location when it dissapeared, .New addresses were created as i kept making transactions. I cant put the commands in as there is no tabs in the cloned new electrum.
 I have sent an email to    erbium.sytes@gmail.com to see if he knows anything.
Thanks for responses.
bitbaby

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2015, 03:04:27 AM

Hello im not having much luck with it. I cant access another computer atm  to start a new Electrum to try to recover the seed again.
 I do remember the last receiving transaction, it was after i withdrew to my electrum wallet from this location when it dissapeared, .New addresses were created as i kept making transactions. I cant put the commands in as there is no tabs in the cloned new electrum.
 I have sent an email to    erbium.sytes@gmail.com to see if he knows anything.
Thanks for responses.

You put these commands in Electrum 'Console', it should be right next to the 'Contacts', just click on the console and type these next to ">>". What do you mean there are no tabs? Can you Hide all the sensitive info about your wallet and post a screenshot that shows there are no tabs?

I am thinking it might be this problem, the wallet which you restored from the seed doesn't have the addresses which were created in the previous one and if you create more addresses in this one it will show the address which contains the funds. Try it if you can and hopefully you'll get back your funds.

greenland (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 02:40:48 PM

Update, i have recovered the coins and electrum is working again, i deleted the conf file and another  one i cant remember,changed servers and it worked, all coins there and addresses.
One other thing while i was asking you guys for help someone messaged me asking to download teamviewer and give him the name password so he can 'look into it' .
here it is-

coaltin

Activity: 126

View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)
Trust: 0: -0 / +0
(No subject)
« Sent to: greenland on: September 27, 2015, 05:33:26 AM »
« You have forwarded or responded to this message. »
Reply with quoteQuote  ReplyReply  Remove this messageDelete 
I can help u recover the money.Its quite easy.Let me know if u have teamviewer.
Report To Admin
coaltin

Re: (No subject)
« Sent to: greenland on: September 27, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »
Quote from: greenland on September 27, 2015, 06:14:58 PM
!!! WARNING: This user is a newbie. If you are expecting a message from a more veteran member, then this is an imposter !!!
Quote from: coaltin on September 27, 2015, 05:33:26 AM
I can help u recover the money.Its quite easy.Let me know if u have teamviewer.

Hey thank you for trying to helping me. I cant get access to another computer to download another electrum.
In the original tails where the wallet should be i have been able to bring up the files but still nothing comes up when i click on icon.
I have just downloaded teamviewer .

kindly send me teamviewer
access id :
pass :
Report To Admin
coaltin

« Sent to: greenland on: September 27, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
I'm trying to help by accessing the problem.
Report To Admin
coaltin

« Sent to: greenland on: September 27, 2015, 06:30:06 PM »
I will try to access ur pc using teamviewer
Report To Admin
coaltin

« Sent to: greenland on: September 27, 2015, 06:39:45 PM »
Good luck!
I was trying to help u.
I'm reputed member here.It happened to me and I was quickly able to solve it.Anyways u are an arrogant guy so i m not helping u anymore.U may ask about teamviewer how it works in the forum.As far as I know its safe.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2015, 03:03:06 PM

@greenland glad you fixed the problem. You did not actually give another member of the forum remote access did you?

Stroto

Activity: 449
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 11:58:27 PM

Maybe he can put "solved" or something in the title now?
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2301

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 02:30:57 AM

A blockchain explorer can not show your wallets balance as it has no clue which addresses are yours. It can only show a single address and its balance/TXs.
This is not true. There is walletexplorer.com which shows the balance of all the addresses in a "wallet" that are spend-linked together.

Many block explorers also allow users to view all the transactions associated with a specific xpub key. For example you can go to blockchain.info/xpub/[your xpub key here] or....maybe it is not "many" but at least blockchain.info allows you to view transactions with a xpub key
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 07:50:31 PM
Last edit: November 08, 2015, 08:17:10 PM by shorena

This is not true. There is walletexplorer.com which shows the balance of all the addresses in a "wallet" that are spend-linked together.

I would not consider them a blockchain explorer, but yes to certain extent you are correct. E.g. it shows 6 of my ~80 addresses (Edit: excluding change addresses) as linked.

Many block explorers also allow users to view all the transactions associated with a specific xpub key. For example you can go to blockchain.info/xpub/[your xpub key here] or....maybe it is not "many" but at least blockchain.info allows you to view transactions with a xpub key

The xpub key however is not publicly available and should not be. Not only is it a privacy breach, but also a possible security risk[1] should any private key be leaked.

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=657205.0

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2301

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 07:24:52 AM

The xpub key however is not publicly available and should not be. Not only is it a privacy breach, but also a possible security risk[1] should any private key be leaked.

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=657205.0
You are correct that making your xpub key public would be a privacy breach, however if you are going to trust a block explorer to show transactions of your BTC address, then to a certain extent you can trust them to protect your privacy when given your xpub key. I really do not see how trusting a block explorer would be any more of a breach of privacy then trusting an electrum server would be.

You are correct that an xpub key + a single private key can be combined to calculate every private key associated with a seed. However it is very rare that only a single private key would get compromised. Sure whenever you sign a Bitcoin transaction with electrum, the private key will be stored in ram briefly, however your encrypted wallet would also be stored in RAM at the same time, and someone with access to your RAM would likely also have access to what your keyboard types so they just as easily use your wallet password + encrypted wallet file to get your seed.

The only vector in which only a single private key in electrum would be compromised would be if a weak R-value was used when signing a transaction, however AFAIK this is not an issue with electrum.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: