Print  
Author Topic: Swish!  (Read 4209 times)
D.H. (OP)

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2012, 08:14:22 PM

By the end of this year the largest banks in Sweden launch a service that makes it possible to send money to a friend using your IPhone/Android phone by just knowing his/her phone number. The money will be at the receiver's bank account instantly, even if you don't use the same bank. Basically everyone in Sweden has an account with one of these banks and it sounds like it will be easy to activate the service by logging on to your online bank and providing your phone number. I think that this service will be quite a success.

Now, I want to be able to tell people that this is just as easy with Bitcoin with the added benefit of being able to send money to your friends all over the world. One key selling point that I see with Swish is that I just need to know someone's phone number. So, how close to this are we in the Bitcoin world? What can I recommend to people that is just as easy as Swish?

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 08:27:32 PM

So, how close to this are we in the Bitcoin world? What can I recommend to people that is just as easy as Swish?

Very close. Send money to anyone using their email address.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91431.0
blueadept

Activity: 225
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 08:49:16 PM

There's Coinapult too. I think that lets you send bitcoins to people's cell phones via SMS.

Like my posts?  Connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse my "Bitcoin" skill.
Decentralized, instant off-chain payments.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 08:50:32 PM

Using Coinapult.com you can already send Bitcoin to an email address or phone number (via SMS). With the SMS system specifically, phones even without web access can hold bitcoins and transfer them to other phones. It's pretty badass.
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 08:55:36 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2012, 09:16:20 PM by istar

With a blockchain.info you can instantly send to anyones:

email
sms
facebook

Oh and also the small added benefit of owning part of the only currency that is truly international and can increase hundred times in value over the years.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 08:57:37 PM

Tell them their money will lose value over time while bitcoin not!

acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 09:13:33 PM

Using Coinapult.com you can already send Bitcoin to an email address or phone number (via SMS). With the SMS system specifically, phones even without web access can hold bitcoins and transfer them to other phones. It's pretty badass.

+1 for Coinapult

Traditional banking is now coming around to customer transfer convenience, but they have a long way to go. Banks could have done so much more so long ago. Bitcoin is now on the scene and I doubt banks will be able to out-innovate/out-technology Bitcoin as things get going. Too little, too late.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 10:36:11 PM

With a blockchain.info you can instantly send to anyones:

sms

Provided is a link to the web interface to claim the funds.

Using Coinapult.com you can already send Bitcoin to an email address or phone number (via SMS). With the SMS system specifically, phones even without web access can hold bitcoins and transfer them to other phones.

That's still just U.S. and Canada for that SMS wallet?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Kris
Donator

Activity: 640

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:30:00 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2012, 02:45:00 PM by Kris

So, how close to this are we in the Bitcoin world? What can I recommend to people that is just as easy as Swish?

And phone number, if the phone number is not provided in the account, it will simply send an SMS.

Mobile number:
You are able to SMS Bitcoins to almost any phone number in the world. The SMS will contain a claim link for redeeming the bitcoins on ResponsePay.
If you choose to register your phone number on ResponsePay sending to this number from within ResponsePay will be instant!

I like the interface of Swish though.
D.H. (OP)

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 08:14:03 PM

And phone number, if the phone number is not provided in the account, it will simply send an SMS.

I think that ResponsePay is the closest thing to Swish that I've seen so far in terms of usability (well done!). I know that there are a number of other services that let's you send bitcoins to an e-mail address but it's pretty important in terms of user experience that it is:

Person1 sends money to person2@foo.com -> Money is in Person2's wallet.

and not

Person1 sends money to person2@foo.com -> Person2 checks his mail and clicks a redeem link -> Money is in Person2's wallet.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4282

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 08:18:41 PM

Amazing, they have invented M-pesa...which African mobile phone users have had for years

Roll Eyes

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 08:23:37 PM

Not only that, no inflation.

What are the fees that will no doubt be taken out of this Swedish cell phone transaction?
D.H. (OP)

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 08:50:54 PM

Not only that, no inflation.

What are the fees that will no doubt be taken out of this Swedish cell phone transaction?

Regular people will use this because it is simple to get started and simple to use. It uses bank accounts that they already have and phone numbers that they already know. Most people don't care much about inflation or other theoretical aspects of money, they want money that is easy to use.

Regarding fees, it is not clear from the web page but I doubt that there will be any significant fees. Transferring money between the major Swedish banks is free (but not instant) today and they probably know that it will turn people off if they introduce large fees. My guess is that they will connect merchants to the system later and that that's where they will collect their fees.

AngryCatfish

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 11:22:47 PM

I vote coinapult!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 03:08:24 AM

Amazing, they have invented M-pesa...which African mobile phone users have had for years

Well, it is better in one way.  A merchant accepting M-PESA payments will need to verify your identity (government ID).  This is used either online in-person, and has no requirement to show the recipient of the funds any ID.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4282

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 04:22:23 AM

Good point Stephen, I just think it is odd how far behind the "developed" world is in the payment space due to our existing, calcified, monopolies.

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 04:36:45 AM

This is awesome, makes me want to buy some Kronas Tongue

As for the fees, a monthly/yearly fee would seem right. Unless this is a totally sponsored project, which would be awesome!

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 06:16:10 AM

With Bitcoin you do not have to leave out you phone number to recieve a payment.
This means that you can recieve payments from anyone on the internet without giving out your number to everyone.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: