Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:05:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulty after reward drop  (Read 2259 times)
jurasofish (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 04:51:41 AM

Hi all,
What do we think will happen to the difficulty as the reward drops to 25BTC/block? Will ASIC miners bring it up? Will it drop because mining is suddenly not feasible for FPGA and GPU miners?
Personally I think it will drop, then rise back up a few weeks later when ASIC miners come into the game.
I want to hear your opinions though.

---Edit:
I made a bet for this:
http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=673

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 06:05:13 AM

Will it drop because mining is suddenly not feasible for FPGA and GPU miners?

FPGAs have a ton better efficiency for electric consumption than do GPUs.  I doubt any FPGAs will be unplugging for a while, and the same with GPUs where the electricity is fee (e.g., included in rent)

Mostly what will matter is when the shipments begin to arrive.  If they were to ship in quantity at the end of October I doubt the charts would even register a disturbance if half the GPUs start to unplug about a month later.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 08:27:40 PM

Hi all,
What do we think will happen to the difficulty as the reward drops to 25BTC/block? Will ASIC miners bring it up? Will it drop because mining is suddenly not feasible for FPGA and GPU miners?
Personally I think it will drop, then rise back up a few weeks later when ASIC miners come into the game.

---Edit:
I made a bet for this:

http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=378

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:39:20 PM

Hi all,

---Edit:
I made a bet for this:

For the most part I agree with Stephen Gornick on this one, mainly since it depends on when people get their new devices.

If they're mining via ASIC before the split, there probably won't be any change. GPUs would have dropped off by then, and mining with FPGAs and ASICs would still be quite profitable (though half as much).
If FPGA and GPU mining are the only contenders at the split, I'd say there would be a drop in difficulty, though probably not by very much. Mining via GPU is barely profitable as is (for normal single/dual cards for the most part) so I imagine they'd drop off after their profits get cut. Anyone with FPGA or substantial GPU investments would keep going, though they wouldn't be making very much any more either.

bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 04:51:35 PM

GPUs all going to Litecoin..... ASICS will only fill the gap, less coins will be available and price will skyrocket.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 01:19:24 AM

GPU miners are going to stop mining - that's really all.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 07:28:33 AM

GPUs all going to Litecoin..... ASICS will only fill the gap, less coins will be available and price will skyrocket.
The amount of BTC available is always increasing. The reward halving just means that the increase becomes smaller. There is no reason for prices to skyrocket.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 10:03:00 AM

This is of course one of many "what will happen after halving day" threads.  However, it should be very interesting.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 11:10:49 AM

The amount of BTC available is always increasing. The reward halving just means that the increase becomes smaller. There is no reason for prices to skyrocket.

as demand for BTC continues its upward climb, and less coins will be available per day.. there's plenty of reason BTC could very well pass $17 this winter.
Frequency

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

COINDER

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 07:49:37 PM

as demand for BTC continues its upward climb, and less coins will be available per day.. there's plenty of reason BTC could very well pass $17 this winter.
Come on fooks it is near end of oktober end of this week reward halving is just 5 weeks away NO SIGN of any ASIC still, so all small gpu user please pull te plug in 5 weeks and ASIC will not be around for at least another 3 or 4 month ( IF it is no SCAM) so gpu + fpga farms above 10Gh will be on top for more then 3 or 4 months in the 25BTC reward scheme.. hashrate will drop under 20Th or more Diff.also down everything could be te same....we will see...price will go up..

COINDER
COINDER
stepkrav

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 07:58:26 PM

not another "Difficulty after reward drop" thread. Search the forum first. Just saying...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: