Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:05:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Money?  (Read 6574 times)
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 09:09:48 PM

Still waiting to hear your actual arguments about the context of bitcoin's arrival being ... "paranoia one-sided FUD".

The core of the argument is that context is important (as it is for prison 'money') ... I don't see you have even come close to addressing that point?

... or are you just full of FUD?

Sure, context is important. I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing that it is pointless to state such things if you define a very selective context. You also don't show any proof of the context you describe leading directly to the development of bitcoin.

You stated that in the west every citizen is suspect and presumed guilty.
But that is simply not true and i know because i live in a western country.
So i can only see that as FUD because you signyfy a danger and point a finger but it is just not there (or maybe just not everywhere).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 10:19:24 PM

You stated that in the west every citizen is suspect and presumed guilty.
But that is simply not true and i know because i live in a western country.

Sorry to be the one to break this to you but since at least the mid-90's the AML and KYC laws that have been rolled out into banking (and then massively expanded under guise of "anti-terrorism") have used the pretext "if you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to hide".  An expression that is precisely based on a presumption of guilt. The Western banking system is now one giant dragnet for State data mining of financial transactions, there is now no longer any financial privacy. There is no presumption of innocence, we are all suspects.

Thus as I say, ever tried to open a bank account without ID? A free society does not require ID before allowing citizens to participate in the economy ... starving, no ID? ... too bad, need shelter for the night?, no ID? .... too bad.

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 12:49:24 AM

Money is future value.  Currency is current value.

Bitcoin is a currency.  It has current value, which fluctuates over time.

If and when a real economy grows up around Bitcoin, it will attain monetary value.

I mean you say things like: "in that the Western states have gradually outlawed a freely traded digital money product and implemented a type of fiscal prison planet arrangement,".

How is this not FUD? Where in the west is bitcoin outlawed? WTH are you talking about?

He didn't say Bitcoin was outlawed.  He said "digital money" was outlawed.  Look at e-gold.  It was a "digital money product" that was shut down.  Look at Liberty Dollars.  It wasn't even digital.  It was real, precious metal money.  It was shut down and its founders accused of engaging in "domestic terrorism" under the ludicrous theory that the mere existence of alternatives to the Federal Reserve threaten the "legitimacy of our democratic form of government".

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: