Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:45:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL is shipping out August FPGA orders  (Read 2015 times)
poon-TANG (OP)

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:29:55 PM

Not looking too good for the Oct/Nov release of the ASIC units. If they are barely shipping the Aug FPGA orders.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:33:11 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if there are very few FPGA orders after August, and they are scaling down production of them to match the remaining demand.
Desolator

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 04:39:17 AM

You know, one page on their website says they'll be out in October, another used to say Nov/Dec, yet another says Oct/Nov, and another asks themselves if they'll come out in October then answers it Tongue

Our ASIC based products ranging from 4.5 GH/s to 1,500 GH/s are currently scheduled for availability in November, 2012.
-----------------------------------------------
So will the BitForce SC product line REALLY come out in October? This is a fair question.  Let's review our track record.  If you're not aware, our initial product, the BitForce Single had a slow delivery cycle. (that's about all the further you need to read that paragraph, lol)
Butterfly Labs, INC. is accepting pre-orders for ASIC based products, expected to begin shipping in late October or early November 2012.
squid

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 04:56:12 AM

You know, one page on their website says they'll be out in October, another used to say Nov/Dec, yet another says Oct/Nov, and another asks themselves if they'll come out in October then answers it Tongue

Our ASIC based products ranging from 4.5 GH/s to 1,500 GH/s are currently scheduled for availability in November, 2012.
So will the BitForce SC product line REALLY come out in October? This is a fair question.  Let's review our track record.  If you're not aware, our initial product, the BitForce Single had a slow delivery cycle. (that's about all the further you need to read that paragraph, lol)
Butterfly Labs, INC. is accepting pre-orders for ASIC based products, expected to begin shipping in late October or early November 2012.

My personal expectation is no ASICs anywhere until Q1 2013
regular

Activity: 297

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 05:30:43 AM

The asics and FPGAs are probably released at different manufacturing process/facilities.  It is likely safe to say that delay on the FPGA doesn't mean asics are behind too.
Desolator

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 03:19:39 PM
Last edit: October 14, 2012, 08:03:20 AM by Desolator

According to pics I've seen, the actual chips come from somewhere else but they are assembled and tested at BFL's main labs.  I've seen pics of them working on those 2-chip FPGAs and inspecting them and stuff.  They say assembly and testing of the ASICs will happen at the same time too.
squid

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 04:33:12 PM

According to pics I've seen, the actual chips come from somewhere else but they are assembled and tested at BFL's main labs.  I've seen pics of them working on those 2-chip ASICs and inspecting them and stuff.  They say assembly and testing of the ASICs will happen at the same time too.

I would hope that BFL is going to at least hire temp workers to help with assembly upon ASIC release.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 01:20:18 AM

WHY NOT show a video example of one of these jalapenos at least mining

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Desolator

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 08:04:10 AM

WHY NOT show a video example of one of these jalapenos at least mining

mostly because, according to BFL, they don't even have a prototype yet (totally not true!!!)

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 08:08:43 AM

why do you believe they have a prototype

bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 08:09:42 AM

umm, I ordered 10 singles with sc upgrades on mid August order and i received them 3 weeks later (the regular singles)..
Desolator

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 01:28:43 PM

When a phone, xbox, camera, tablet, etc is brought to market, they all have a prototype in their hands by 2-3 months before the ship date.  You don't just start reviewing it and testing it 2 weeks before it's released to customers.  That's just not how device design works and BFL knows that.  So they definitely have working prototypes and have for a while now.  Btw here's Josh from BFL in a video explaining what BFL bought as far as assembly equipment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT-smMzg54k

dunno what a pick and place machine or skin whatever or oven is, but they have one Tongue
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 04:44:49 PM

A pick and place machine is for rapidly placing surface mount devices on PC boards with precision. It's a must for any kind of in house scalable production.

A reflow oven is used to reflow solder on surface mount devices. Also a necessity for BFL if they intend to build the boards themselves in the near future, as in after their first "batch" as I understand their position at present.

Aseras

Activity: 658

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 08:30:04 PM

When a phone, xbox, camera, tablet, etc is brought to market, they all have a prototype in their hands by 2-3 months before the ship date.  You don't just start reviewing it and testing it 2 weeks before it's released to customers.  That's just not how device design works and BFL knows that.  So they definitely have working prototypes and have for a while now.  Btw here's Josh from BFL in a video explaining what BFL bought as far as assembly equipment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT-smMzg54k

dunno what a pick and place machine or skin whatever or oven is, but they have one Tongue

You do realize this is the actual proof they don't have a prototype and will not ship on schedule? If they had even a semi working prototype they'd be whoring it out all over the place advertising it. Just like they did for their preorders and news releases and laughable assembly equipment.
SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 09:10:17 PM

Maybe so, but I'm getting ready to say RIP 832MH/s Single... and here's proof.  Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdiZvtUGbSc

There's quite a bit more information from BFL than last time around, but time will tell.

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 09:49:39 PM

Maybe so, but I'm getting ready to say RIP 832MH/s Single... and here's proof.  Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdiZvtUGbSc

There's quite a bit more information from BFL than last time around, but time will tell.

last time their specs and cost were reasonably levelled (1ghash/s turned out to be 832mhash)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: