Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:36:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC Miners have screwed me over.  (Read 4942 times)
mesquka (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

"Human equivalent of a typo."

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 01:09:22 PM

I have just bought a new Graphics card for bitcoin mining and realized that ASIC's were going to be released in a short while. Shocked
Graphics card overheats from over clocking and knowing the cable for the cooling fan out while installing sound card leaving me with a nvida geforce 840gs.  Cry
I want to get into the Bitcoin mining business. Any ideas?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 01:13:49 PM

there is no "business" mining bitcoins any longer, that ship has sailed, get a job

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 01:26:57 PM

I have just bought a new Graphics card for bitcoin mining and realized that ASIC's were going to be released in a short while. Shocked

Yes the small-time gpu miner ship probably sailed for good. I hope you have learned from this and inform yourself about something in the future before you run and spend money on it.

You can still buy (prepurchase) a Asic. Although you might consider my statement above. You will probably just be better of buying BTC.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
HolyScott

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 02:14:23 AM

Always fun to take a chance.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 05:05:25 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2012, 05:52:25 PM by nobbynobbynoob

get a job

Not a politically correct polite expression during recessions depressions (and the job market is exceptionally severe).

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 05:29:14 PM

get a job

Not a politically correct expression during recessions (and the job market is exceptionally severe).

OK fine, blow all available capital on a mining farm...or better yet zeek rewards, oh wait...

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 05:35:38 PM

politically correct

I hire people to follow people using that phrase and hit them upon the back of their heads. Anyone interested in that job, please send 10 BTC to the adress below to receive your first target and equipment.
nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 05:49:34 PM

politically correct

I hire people to follow people using that phrase and hit them upon the back of their heads. Anyone interested in that job, please send 10 BTC to the adress below to receive your first target and equipment.

Now now, there's nothing wrong with a bit of PC. Cheesy Granted, too much is toxic, as with anything.

I'm not generally obsessed with PC myself but telling people to "get a job" is just not good form in economic times like these, especially. There are no jobs, or at least employers tend to have excessive requirements - because they can, basically. Loops back to that "economy" thing again. Companies might not all be laying off their staff, but they're concerned about the economic future and want to conserve as much moolah as possible and therefore are being extraordinarily stingy about hiring, thus high unemployment and lack of new job opportunities. Some think it's as bad as the 1930s now but whether they're right or not, the principle of "depression economics" is clear.

BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 06:07:14 PM

Competition in mining, like in any industry, will mean that the average person is unable to make a profit. Only those who invest the most time, are the most efficient, and stay ahead of the curve will make money long term with Bitcoin mining, and this should be expected.
nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 06:11:33 PM

Competition in mining, like in any industry, will mean that the average person is unable to make a profit. Only those who invest the most time, are the most efficient, and stay ahead of the curve will make money long term with Bitcoin mining, and this should be expected.

+1

Bitcoin mining isn't a get-rich-quick scheme, nor is Bitcoin itself for that matter. But if it was, it'd probably seem too good to be true and thus not be true. Grin

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 06:30:06 PM

+1

Bitcoin mining isn't a get-rich-quick scheme, nor is Bitcoin itself for that matter. But if it was, it'd probably seem too good to be true and thus not be true. Grin
+1

orcinus

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 06:57:22 PM

Bitcoin mining isn't a get-rich-quick scheme, nor is Bitcoin itself for that matter.

Damn.
We need a pyramid cryptocurrency stat.
nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 09:31:38 PM

Bitcoin mining isn't a get-rich-quick scheme, nor is Bitcoin itself for that matter.

Damn.

There have got to be one or two good ways to start a Ponzi scheme with Bitcoin... Grin

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 03:54:52 AM

get a life
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 06:42:07 AM

Damn.

There have got to be one or two good ways to start a Ponzi scheme with Bitcoin... Grin

Start a reverse Ponzi scheme where the guys who get in first receives less than the guys they recruit. If they want to continue to get paid, they must recruit more members, and the members whom they recruited don't receive the higher reward until they recruit X. Call it the RMLPS (reverse multi-level Ponzi scheme): Turning your network upside down.

(tired and going to bed, so if the above doesn't make sense, this is why)
qukkM

Activity: 229

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 03:42:02 PM

How much are ASIC miners going for at present? I have seen figures for ROI on them as low as 10 days, is that at the current difficulty or the expected difficulty when they are released?

http://www.bitcoinseedshop.com -  the first bitcoin only cannabis seed shop. Secure, pseudonymous payments.
dlasher

Activity: 467
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 04:02:07 PM

Graphics card overheats from over clocking and knowing the cable for the cooling fan out while installing sound card leaving me with a nvida geforce 840gs.  Cry

Buy ASIC. Buy one of -these-.

Gamble like the rest of us did when we bought piles of GPU's that we'd pay them off in 12 months.. Most of us did.  After the dust settles, enjoy the coin earned every month, and congratulate yourself for being willing the take the risk.

In the mean time, talk to your friends, come up with new ways to spend/use/promote bitcoin so that the coin you earn has more value.

qukkM

Activity: 229

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 04:11:31 PM

Dlasher - conservatively, how long before a jalapeno earns you the $160 back? Same question for the 60Gh model? Also what is the delivery ETA on these items?

http://www.bitcoinseedshop.com -  the first bitcoin only cannabis seed shop. Secure, pseudonymous payments.
dlasher

Activity: 467
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 05:32:23 PM

Dlasher - conservatively, how long before a jalapeno earns you the $160 back? Same question for the 60Gh model? Also what is the delivery ETA on these items?

Conservatively? 12 months.

Same all models, since they have -about- the same $-per-Ghash rate, approximately.

Delivery ETA is mid-to-end of November for Round 1, and guessing Mid-to-end of December for Round 2.
nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 05:43:55 PM

Conservatively? 12 months.

Same all models, since they have -about- the same $-per-Ghash rate, approximately.

Delivery ETA is mid-to-end of November for Round 1, and guessing Mid-to-end of December for Round 2.

Conservative indeed: I think early ASIC adopters have a good chance at a much shorter RoI than that. If you're more interested in holding than selling mined coin (which I am), then this period is of less significance, of course.

Thing is, who knows what a BTC will be worth in fiat terms six, twelve or howevermany months down the line? That might be even tougher to estimate than the difficulty level.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: