Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:11:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EU cripples future graphics cards (by regulating max. energy consumption)  (Read 2952 times)
1541 (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:24:16 PM

The reason is of course "saving energy"...

It's my personal "wow"-effect: they try to regulate such unimportant bull**** within 1-2 years, but are not able to regulate the banking system since 2008!?

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/71-graphics/46718-eu-cripples-future-graphics-cards-exclusive-.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:27:46 PM

I'm a conspirator but this time I don't think you to be right.
They should ban fpga too, and here they already banned incandescent lamps.

We can't buy them anymore.

It's like shooting yourself in the foot but we Europeans got used to it.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:29:44 PM

here they already banned incandescent lamps.

I hope that by here you don't mean the EU but your country only. Because I can still buy incandescent lamps where I live...
But I would actually support a complete ban on them. Smiley
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:40:59 PM

I hope that by here you don't mean the EU but your country only. Because I can still buy incandescent lamps where I live...

Well, partially. Only some of them, but its a process that will conclude soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs#section_1

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:47:16 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2012, 03:42:55 PM by malevolent

He probably meant only those above a certain wattage. In my country it is only legal to import/produce/sell those drawing no more than 40W.
But fortunately there is a way around that - light bulbs exceeding 40W (up to and over 100W which cost 30-40 cents) are sold with a label ''not for home use'' (so ''used for heating'' or ''shock-resistant'') and it is not a problem to buy it.

Why would you support a complete ban on them? If people want to buy them, what's wrong with that?

Signature space available for rent.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 03:01:16 PM

Another way to look at this is that they did not "cripple future graphics cards" but crippled lazy or incompetent engineers and scientists. Competent and hard working folks will come up with ways to do more by using less energy.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 03:04:49 PM

Why would you support a complete ban on them? If people want to buy them, what's wrong with that?

It's a complete waste of energy. Better technology already exists, no reason to continue using them.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 03:25:33 PM

It's a complete waste of energy. Better technology already exists, no reason to continue using them.
They still have their place, at least until the cost of competing technology comes down. For instance, CFL's don't work worth a damn at -40C, and I'm not spending $30 for an LED bulb for my porch light.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 03:42:30 PM

Keen on deciding about others? This is bitcointalk, not some leftist forum lol

Signature space available for rent.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 2111

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:08:17 PM

The alternative technology isn't there yet. That's why they have to ban them. By the time the alternative technologies are good enough, they would have been adopted anyway.

cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:15:28 PM

The alternative technology isn't there yet. That's why they have to ban them. By the time the alternative technologies are good enough, they would have been adopted anyway.

True.

And let's not forget that the incandescent bulb light is the most natural one that we can archive artificially.

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:17:54 PM

True.

And let's not forget that the incandescent bulb light is the most natural one that we can archive artificially.

How do you figure?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:19:43 PM

True.

How do you figure?

I don't know how he figures it, but most people complaint about fluorescent or white light bulbs saying they can't stand them, gives them headaches and so on.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:21:53 PM

Here's what I have been observing also:

1) CFLs are more expensive to manufacture than incandescents

2) CFLs are therefore considerable more expensive to buy than incandescents.

3) There is therefore a strong downward pressure on price for CFLs

4) Chinese knock out cheap, low quality CFLs

5) Cheap, low quality CFLs fail early, meaning that their claimed cost savings are not reached and their energy and resource TCO suck donkey parts compared to incandescents.

6) Statism does the fail thing once more.

7) Statism apologists scramble to make rationalizations. Cue:

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:23:04 PM

Here's what I have been observing also:

1) CFLs are more expensive to manufacture than incandescents

2) CFLs are therefore considerable more expensive to buy than incandescents.

3) There is therefore a strong downward pressure on price for incandescents

4) Chinese knock out cheap, low quality incandescents

5) Cheap, low quality incandescents fail early, meaning that their claimed cost savings are not reached and their energy and resource TCO suck donkey parts compared to incandescents.

6) Statism does the fail thing once more.

7) Statism apologists scramble to make rationalizations. Cue:
This post makes no sense.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:26:55 PM

True.

How do you figure?

I don't know how he figures it, but most people complaint about fluorescent or white light bulbs saying they can't stand them, gives them headaches and so on.

yes. Try to take a picture of a fluorescent bulb with your camera, you will notice that half of it is "off" even if you say it at full brightness trough your eye. The incandescent bulbs are constantly on, emitting the same radiation during the time, while these do not. They are shut down and up very fast.

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:30:04 PM

This post makes no sense.

Oops. Fixed now. Any better?

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:34:15 PM

True.

How do you figure?

yes. Try to take a picture of a fluorescent bulb with your camera, you will notice that half of it is "off" even if you say it at full brightness trough your eye. The incandescent bulbs are constantly on, emitting the same radiation during the time, while these do not. They are shut down and up very fast.

That might be true for fluorescents, but it's not true of all technologies. A standard incandescent is limited by the fact that no filament material is capable of the ~5800K temperature needed to give the same black body spectrum as the sun. There's a lot more promise of getting a close to white light spectrum with something light LED lights than there is with incandescents.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:37:21 PM

True.

How do you figure?

That might be true for fluorescents, but it's not true of all technologies. A standard incandescent is limited by the fact that no filament material is capable of the ~5800K temperature needed to give the same black body spectrum as the sun. There's a lot more promise of getting a close to white light spectrum with something light LED lights than there is with incandescents.
1) true, i was just justifying the guys that have headaches due to that.
2) sure, i know how they work Smiley
3) ok, so? what's the radiation of the sun? that's the one we should copy, not set a arbitrary standard and try to achieve that.

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:41:05 PM

True.

1) true, i was just justifying the guys that have headaches due to that.
2) sure, i know how they work Smiley
3) ok, so? what's the radiation of the sun? that's the one we should copy, not set a arbitrary standard and try to achieve that.

You said that incandescent bulb light was the most natural that we can achieve artificially. I'm disagreeing with you, I think we will be able to get closer to the natural solar spectrum with technologies other than incandescent bulbs. It has nothing to do with setting standards.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: