Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:11:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Idea/Announce] Bitcoind Proxy  (Read 4236 times)
gweedo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 07:47:39 PM

I recently posted in a security about how I handle security for my bitcoind, I actually built a "proxy" which is written in java with a couple php cron jobs. A couple people pmed me about releasing or them scoring a copy I never thought I would release so it is kinda hacky, but it got me thinking if enough people want it to be release I can clean it up (which is making it more modular and no php cron jobs) and give it out.

So basically how it works, is that you have your bitcoind running on the same server as this proxy which connects to it (as of now it only connects on a certain port I use and only looks for the localhost this would have to be changed). The proxy is built on top of Jetty giving you a web server, without having to run apache. I wrote it cause security isn't that great with bitcoind, but this extends that, first it eliminates all get methods and every method is passed thru as a post. It also eliminates having to connect to your bitcoind, so no username or passwords in your actual code (I am actually considering if this is on the same server, it will read the bitcoin.conf file for that information), it employs using whitelisted ips and signing each command to the proxy(right now it is just a SHA-1 (probably changing) hash of the method with a secret token that is generated and passed). It also allows you blacklist ips, I never used it but it is there. It also allows time sensitive commands, so if basically it would write that to mysql and php cron job would pick on that if I was decided to release that would be written in java, and no output of that. It also logs every transaction so you can see what was done at what time (It logs, the ip of the server that access the proxy, the method that was called)

This would not be done overnight, it would take awhile actually, cause it was first written as a set of php scripts, then I need more robust so I been slowly converting it into a java program.

Leave questions, comments, and feature request...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 08:30:02 AM

So basically your saying I could run a website that doesn’t need to have the bitcoind credentials in the *Insert language here* to communicate with bitcoind instead with your work/software it talks to java which generates one-time sha1 password to proxy the data through an encrypted channel?

Just trying to think of field uses for this, thanks!
caffeinewriter

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 08:00:01 PM

Very very interesting! If you do release it, I'll have to take a peek!

Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 02:58:08 AM

So basically your saying I could run a website that doesn’t need to have the bitcoind credentials in the *Insert language here* to communicate with bitcoind instead with your work/software it talks to java which generates one-time sha1 password to proxy the data through an encrypted channel?

I def see your interest cause then your bitcoin financial web development kit would be less used if I was to release this. This would be for big websites. So basically I wanted this to handle more than than the frontend should. So you basically use a curl post method with a signed encryption using a combination of things to come up with the hash, which will be changed since I can do that better, if even I don't release. So you don't have worry about locking the wallet, also scheduler so I can do send commands when I feel like it. Just a bunch of tools that are useful that take the load off the frontend and cron jobs.

I'm not worried about competition, I encourage it (especially in Bitcoins state as far as development tools availability goes), I was confused about some "use" cases for your project, thanks for clearing it up gweedo. Can't wait to see what you got under the hood, Cheers!
Xenland
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 06:13:38 AM

I def see your interest cause then your bitcoin financial web development kit would be less used if I was to release this. This would be for big websites. So basically I wanted this to handle more than than the frontend should. So you basically use a curl post method with a signed encryption using a combination of things to come up with the hash, which will be changed since I can do that better, if even I don't release. So you don't have worry about locking the wallet, also scheduler so I can do send commands when I feel like it. Just a bunch of tools that are useful that take the load off the frontend and cron jobs.

I'm not worried about competition, I encourage it (especially in Bitcoins state as far as development tools availability goes), I was confused about some "use" cases for your project, thanks for clearing it up gweedo. Can't wait to see what you got under the hood, Cheers!

Well the competition would be in more of security centric designs, where you are clearly going for easy of use of the api in php, so it would be minimal, but thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: