Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:54:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you use Wordpress as your CMS if you were going to build a large site?
Yes
No

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wordpress (with Poll)  (Read 1651 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 05:22:23 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2012, 05:41:27 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

I'm at the early stages of developing a website and currently exploring all my options.

At first, I was leaning away from Wordpress as a CMS choice due to being somewhat aware of its security flaws and not sure if it could handle what I have in mind, namely something slightly similar to this: http://www.themillionpagewebsite.com/

I have learned that The Million Page Website uses Joomla for its CMS and, if that's the case, Wordpress should be able to perform the same tasks I envision, which would help in developing my site since I'm very familiar with WP. I would still need the services of a programmer(s) to incorporate various other aspects I have in mind for this project: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=118178.0

Addressing WP's security concern, I did find this: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bulletproof-security/

Then I was really taken aback when I discovered a list of notable brands currently using WP for its CMS (take a look): http://en.wordpress.com/notable-users/

The site I intend on building is based on the same premise as The Million Page Website, in the sense that users/members will have a page of their own, based on a tier system with a bump factor built in. Similar business models have been tried, but have fallen short for a myriad of reasons. The best example would be the infamous The Million Dollar Homepage, but its lock-in design has many broken links, coupled with not being very practical today (if ever) and looking too tacky.

But enough of what my project will consist of at this interval. I look forward to the discussion on Wordpress, hopefully to learn if it's a viable CMS choice for my endeavor.

If Wordpress does prove to be a viable CMS choice, I would be able to start building the site on my own showing proof-of-concept, then take on a programmer(s) to build and assure its functioning dynamics. What I don't want to do is build the preliminary site with a subpar CMS, then have to back-pedal and rebuild the thing.

~Bruno K~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
caffeinewriter

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 08:25:53 PM

Wordpress is an extremely powerful CMS to those who know how to use it. The myriad of extensions and themes for it make it infinitely, well, extensible. It's an extremely good choice for a simple yet powerful CMS. For security, there are many extensions that can help patch up security issues. (In my opinion, the only reason why people shy away from it because of security reasons is because the code is open source, allowing hackers to peruse it for vulnerabilities.) Wordpress is far from a subpar CMS, but you may have to shell out for some paid Wordpress extensions. Let me know if you have any questions about Wordpress!

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 08:47:27 PM

Wordpress is an extremely powerful CMS to those who know how to use it. The myriad of extensions and themes for it make it infinitely, well, extensible. It's an extremely good choice for a simple yet powerful CMS. For security, there are many extensions that can help patch up security issues. (In my opinion, the only reason why people shy away from it because of security reasons is because the code is open source, allowing hackers to peruse it for vulnerabilities.) Wordpress is far from a subpar CMS, but you may have to shell out for some paid Wordpress extensions. Let me know if you have any questions about Wordpress!

There's really nothing I'm concerned about in regards to security of the site, save a DDoS attack, but there's pay-for defense mechanisms that should counter such an event. It's not like there'll be some hot wallet available for the taking. The worse somebody may try to do is post a premium account without paying, whereupon I would be out only $10 (twice the amount if paid with fiat) and the scumbag was never caught but, then again, some other defense mechanism would be in place making such an event unlikely.

caffeinewriter, I do have another programmer in mind, but will most definitely keep you at the top of my list if I need your services. Your comments have also been most helpful.

I am aware that WP is a powerful CMS, and didn't mean to take aware from that fact when I used the word subpar. It was meant in the context of if I needed something over and beyond WP at the onset, I didn't want to make the mistake of starting on the wrong foot. As to the how I envision the whole thing working, at this penning I see no reason why WP wouldn't work. It's not like I'm building something extremely technical, but do want the handful of components to work seamlessly in the back-end in and conjunction with WP.

~Bruno K~
caffeinewriter

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 08:52:02 PM

There's really nothing I'm concerned about in regards to security of the site, save a DDoS attack, but there's pay-for defense mechanisms that should counter such an event. It's not like there'll be some hot wallet available for the taking. The worse somebody may try to do is post a premium account without paying, whereupon I would be out only $10 (twice the amount if paid with fiat) and the scumbag was never caught but, then again, some other defense mechanism would be in place making such an event unlikely.

caffeinewriter, I do have another programmer in mind, but will most definitely keep you at the top of my list if I need your services. Your comments have also been most helpful.

I am aware that WP is a powerful CMS, and didn't mean to take aware from that fact when I used the word subpar. It was meant in the context of if I needed something over and beyond WP at the onset, I didn't want to make the mistake of starting on the wrong foot. As to the how I envision the whole thing working, at this penning I see no reason why WP wouldn't work. It's not like I'm building something extremely technical, but do want the handful of components to work seamlessly in the back-end in conjunction with WP.

~Bruno K~

Oh no no! I wasn't implying that I was offended by it. Nor did I think you were saying it was an inferior CMS. Also, I wish you luck in your site Smiley If you require any simple questions answered, I'd be more than happy to do it for free.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 08:54:09 PM

I am aware that WP is a powerful CMS, and didn't mean to take aware from that fact when I used the word subpar. It was meant in the context of if I needed something over and beyond WP at the onset, I didn't want to make the mistake of starting on the wrong foot. As to the how I envision the whole thing working, at this penning I see no reason why WP wouldn't work. It's not like I'm building something extremely technical, but do want the handful of components to work seamlessly in the back-end in conjunction with WP.

~Bruno K~

Oh no no! I wasn't implying that I was offended by it. Nor did I think you were saying it was an inferior CMS. Also, I wish you luck in your site Smiley If you require any simple questions answered, I'd be more than happy to do it for free.

Don't worry, bud. At no time was I ever offended by your commit. I just felt like elaborating on that point. No harm!

~Bruno K~
caffeinewriter

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 08:56:57 PM

~Bruno K~

Don't worry, bud. At no time was I ever offended by your commit. I just felt like elaborating on that point. No harm!

~Bruno K~

I see Smiley Well good luck with your site!

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2012, 09:09:40 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2012, 11:34:09 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

~Bruno K~

~Bruno K~

I see Smiley Well good luck with your site!

BTW, all those who post helpful comments (even if they're critical) via PM or on any thread related to this project, will receive one premium account valued at $20 USD ($10 if BTC).

I will not posts any names gleaned from my PM's when I start and maintian said list without permission, but will do so when they post a comment in some ongoing thread related to this project.

Sorry for all the secrecy at this point, but I'm not yet ready to reveal what I have in store. Needless to say, it will be epic.  Grin Seriously, it won't be epic if it's a piece of shit and/or it's not branded/marketed well. At the moment, I'm not taking pre-orders, so quit asking. Roll Eyes

~Bruno K~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 01:50:03 AM

As I've stated, I'm leaning toward Wordpress, but would still love to read any other pros or cons.

~Bruno K~
caffeinewriter

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 02:47:55 AM

One big pro is the huge number of free extensions for it. However, it is unmoderated (for the most part) and not all apps will be of the highest caliber.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 03:59:12 AM

One big pro is the huge number of free extensions for it. However, it is unmoderated (for the most part) and not all apps will be of the highest caliber.

Chances are I'll utilize very few WP apps, making double sure the ones I do incorporate are capable with each other and are well supported. The last thing I want is to have the site bogged down due to any modules loading. Ideally, I desire that the users who stumble upon the site via whatever means, either act or leave quickly. Upon seeing any page, even the least intuitive user should know what to do.

Thanks again for the input, caffeinewriter.

~Bruno K~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 04:39:16 AM

Wordpress is an amazing piece of software highly customizable, but for the use case you said in the OP, I would think a custom script would be better, it be leaner, easier to maintain, and can be changed to fit your needs.  

Given a specific scope, I'd have to agree. Wordpress is a broad brush. It also has overhead that may not be needed, though the impact of dead weight depends on traffic.

One great thing about using WP is that Google does an excellent job indexing sites that use it, whereas a custom site would have a many SEO aspects in place for the same results.

I'm adding both your names to the list in the OP of this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=118178.0

Thanks kindly for the inputs.

~Bruno K~
caffeinewriter

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 04:52:24 AM

Pair Wordpress with a CDN, and it's even faster.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 04:56:18 AM

Interesting!

In addition, CDNs provide the content provider a degree of protection from DoS attacks by using their large distributed server infrastructure to absorb the attack traffic.

Cost? (compared to conventional hosting)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 05:06:16 AM

Interesting!

In addition, CDNs provide the content provider a degree of protection from DoS attacks by using their large distributed server infrastructure to absorb the attack traffic.

Cost? (compared to conventional hosting)

Free if you use the cloudflare honeypot. Pair it with a caching plugin and it's almost a plain HTML website lol
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 05:26:37 PM

Wordpress is an amazing piece of software highly customizable, but for the use case you said in the OP, I would think a custom script would be better, it be leaner, easier to maintain, and can be changed to fit your needs. 

Given a specific scope, I'd have to agree. Wordpress is a broad brush. It also has overhead that may not be needed, though the impact of dead weight depends on traffic.

One great thing about using WP is that Google does an excellent job indexing sites that use it, whereas a custom site would have a many SEO aspects in place for the same results.

I'm adding both your names to the list in the OP of this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=118178.0

Thanks kindly for the inputs.

~Bruno K~

SEO, is something anyone can do, and if you really want google offers great tools to help develop and helps the developer see what google sees when crawlering your site. I saw in your other thread you think that this is going to be a site that may have to be bumped to dedicated servers. If your thinking that your going to have that much traffic, you need to either have someone really trim the fat of wordpress or a custom lean CMS, I would even recommend using like psy said cloudfare, for caching and they offer so much more.

CDNs are great for static stuff, I wouldn't use it for a whole CMS, just images, static pages, that is really when caching comes into play to help relieve the stress off the database and dynamic pages.

It seems what you and psy have expressed is explained in further details here: http://www.sparringmind.com/speed-up-wordpress/

~Bruno K~
caffeinewriter

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 05:30:56 AM

Sorry to Necro, but this may be interesting to you Smiley

http://bitcoinmagazine.net/wordpress-accepts-bitcoin/

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 05:38:10 AM

Thanks for the heads-up, Mr. Bunn.

BTW, this project is not dead, and will become more active in the coming days.

~Bruno K~
caffeinewriter

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:13:39 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, Mr. Bunn.

BTW, this project is not dead, and will become more active in the coming days.

~Bruno K~

Hehe, I can't wait to see what's going down!

RyanRed

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 09:25:05 AM

I just started using Wordpress, and its amazing. Endless plugins, designs, and you can edit it all in your flavor. I recommend it.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 03:54:52 PM

I just started using Wordpress, and its amazing. Endless plugins, designs, and you can edit it all in your flavor. I recommend it.

Wordpress is truly an amazing CMS, but my concern when starting this thread is can it handle what I have in mind, oppose to reverting to PHP or ?. I think I found the answer to be yes, but if I later learn that I was mistaken, I will bite the bullet and pay to have the whole site converted. I think I read that Twitter made a mistake when they built their site using one platform, and now regret doing such, for they're now locked in and it would take an enormous charge over to redesign it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: