Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:05:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion to improve ignore feature  (Read 1097 times)
pyra-proxy (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 05:56:34 AM

Perhaps, if a user gets to some of the higher levels of ignore status as indicated by their ignore link highlighted color then they should either:
a) Not be able to be automatically quoted --OR--
b) If quoted the quoted part the contributed does not show up for those having them on ignore

Is this possible?
Desirable to others?

Additionally, it would be nice to see a matching where people at these same statuses automatically get a search applied to publically link their alternate personas in the forums and automatically update those other personas with the same status levels as it is a known fact that many people out here earning those reputations also employ a "smoke screen" of alternate personas as well... this feature should help cut-down some level of the forum mis-behaviors but should be employed cautiously and looking for multiple indicating factors since IP address directly may not be the only indicating factor in the event of public access computers etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 06:50:03 AM

Perhaps, if a user gets to some of the higher levels of ignore status as indicated by their ignore link highlighted color then they should either:
a) Not be able to be automatically quoted --OR--
b) If quoted the quoted part the contributed does not show up for those having them on ignore

Is this possible?
Desirable to others?

Additionally, it would be nice to see a matching where people at these same statuses automatically get a search applied to publically link their alternate personas in the forums and automatically update those other personas with the same status levels as it is a known fact that many people out here earning those reputations also employ a "smoke screen" of alternate personas as well... this feature should help cut-down some level of the forum mis-behaviors but should be employed cautiously and looking for multiple indicating factors since IP address directly may not be the only indicating factor in the event of public access computers etc.

There's a greasemonkey script which will hide quotes of ignored posters in vBulletin so it's possible.  Someone here once wrote a script which flagged all of Atlas' alternate accounts, so again - it's possible.  I'm not sure that either option should be built into the forum software, though.  Do we really need that much spoon-feeding?  When the basic search function on here is so horrible, do we really need to be running searches to provide the kind of "feature" you've requested?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
pyra-proxy (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 07:27:47 AM

Some call it spoon-feeding, others call it convenience  Smiley

But all in all it would help with the new user experience I would think and help demystify/cleanup the myriad of accounts that trolls/pests/etc. often use to circumvent and exploit these features.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 08:40:55 AM

If anything would de-clutter the board and enhance the newbie experience, it's doing away with the endless nested quotes.  It's a pain in the ass to edit them manually so people don't bother, but it gets tedious very quickly in long threads where whole discussions are repeatedly being quoted by posters wanting to reply to a single point.  Merging topics would also help.  We often get a ridiculous amount of threads on a single topic and that makes finding useful information difficult because it's often spread across many threads in multiple forums.

I also think that you're seriously over-estimating the amount of people who use sock puppets to troll.  Using them to circumvent a ban is already a bannable offence, but there's not really a whole lot of need for people to use them solely for the purpose of posting controversial or inflammatory opinions as those can be posted under a legitimate account given the free speech ethos of these forums.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
pyra-proxy (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 09:02:08 AM

Those are great ideas as well regarding the nested posts and topic merging!  I hope those would be considered in an upgrade... mind you the merging of topics would probably entail a lot of moderator/admin work up front but the reward in the end would be pretty significant I would think... perhaps they could add a "request to merge with" button/link or some such to get a little assistance from the community in finding and matching the topics.  To save work up front though it could just be used for highly active topics or new topics only?

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 05:33:24 AM

+1

This SMF dump is hindering decentralization and a sane development for the bitcoin economy.

The owner shouldn't be wasting his time arguing on who should be banned.
The whole ignore / ban thing feel so outdated, it's inefficient and does not scale much compared to what reddit uses, witch isn't that sophisticated to begin with.

A mean to downvote posts and have post with say "-5" show as hidden/collapsed by everyone with a hide trigger of >-5

These sorts of things would benefit us all and promote a sane Bitcoin development.

I might just be dreaming here but what would be the requirement to implement a way to convert and move entire threads to entirely different discussion system like disqus or reddit ?

Threaded topics would much more effectively manage inputs from users like Atlas, Goats, smoothie, ect... who tend to post, poorly though of, one line response to  specific details from a larger post and sometime doing so while quoting 2 page long posts.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 12:57:20 PM
Last edit: October 26, 2012, 08:15:49 PM by malevolent

My suggestion is to place a counter close to the ignore button of the amount of people that have you on ignore.

Signature space available for rent.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 08:04:31 PM

a) Not be able to be automatically quoted
A mean to downvote posts and have post with say "-5" show as hidden/collapsed by everyone with a hide trigger of >-5

Sorry but these suggestions are retarded.

Moderators and not random users should delete posts and ban people! Why the hell should anyone message disappear because "some users" clicked ignore button? So long for discussions, either you are ok with what the other people say or then they downvote you and your message disappear, no matter if it follow every rules and is fine? That would sucks!
Especially in this forum, we have people with tons of different opinions. Who disagree of course will happily downvote a message. But why should it disappear? Because someone don't like it? Meh

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 08:12:05 PM

I love the nested quoting myself.  I hate it when only the last quote is displayed, because I often find myself spending a lot of time trying to piece together a conversation, looking back in the thread for the previous related quotes.  Nested quoting ensures the discussion is easily visible and traceable, especially when there are multiple sub-conversations going on in the same thread.  And having to scroll a few extra mousewheel clicks doesn't bother me at all - it takes fractions of a second.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 08:14:45 PM

I understand that people do not want to read messages by people they have in ignore. But this does NOT means they can make these messages invisible for EVERYONE

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: