Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:01:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 90 minutes for 1 block...  (Read 7051 times)
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 08:19:08 PM

Confirmations just give you a risk assessment…1 confirmation by the Bitcoin network should give you a whole lot more confidence than 4 Litecoin confirmations.  The Bitcoin network has a lot more computing power protecting its network.  If there was some way you could estimate how much computing power is currently working on a block that includes a given transaction, that would be a pretty decent way to assess the risk of a transaction even before it's in the first block.  If mining pools sold subscriptions to their feed of lower difficultly blocks, you could make these kinds of assessments (you could also look at p2pool).  You could observe the mining power working on blocks that include your transaction and make a risk assessment long before the first real block.  As the mining power including your transaction increases it may cross a threshold where you accept the risk (and the threshold would be dependent on the value of the transaction).  This would be a far better way to assess the risk of a transaction than the various transaction radar approaches.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Grix

Activity: 536
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 09:09:29 PM

I think this problem can be fixed by being more open to zero-confirmation transactions, especially when we're talking about <50 BTC. Let's face it, if someone managed to manipulate the protocol, it wouldn't make sense for them to use it to scam people out of relatively tiny amounts.

BTC: 1Fahk2aa4NS4Qds4VDAL4mpNArDEdV2K5K
LaserShowGen Laser Show Software
Helios Laser Show Hardware
Beans

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 09:35:17 PM

This is why I have always thought that Bitcoin would not ever replace other currency in its entirety. Society simply does not have the patience to wait around for their money to go through. We are a want it gotta have it now society.

Yeah, BTC has advantages for sure. However it wont last 20 years... We need results now...

You can't just keep switching to new coins. Is their some reason bitcoin can't be improved upon?
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 10:02:10 PM

I think this problem can be fixed by being more open to zero-confirmation transactions, especially when we're talking about <50 BTC. Let's face it, if someone managed to manipulate the protocol, it wouldn't make sense for them to use it to scam people out of relatively tiny amounts.

Just because it wouldn't make sense, doesn't mean people won't do it anyway.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 12:48:38 AM

90 minutes to send cash, anywhere in the world, without needing a third party? That is amazing!
in fact the bitcoins were not reversible the the second they were send.

it just took 90 minutes to confirm it was a good tx.

I wonder that the odds are for a 90min block?

imagine we get really unlucky and hit a 3 year block  Cheesy

Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:51:37 AM

90 minutes to send cash, anywhere in the world, without needing a third party? That is amazing!
imagine we get really unlucky and hit a 3 year block  Cheesy
We need to calculate the chances of this. If it did get really long, I am pretty sure people would throw all the computing power in the world at it to get all the built up transaction fees.
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 02:01:28 AM

Litecoin is already too fast most likely.

This isn't logical. If too fast is bad then Ricky Bobby was wrong.
If you ain't first you're last.
fivemileshigh

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 03:28:20 AM

Society simply does not have the patience to wait around for their money to go through. We are a want it gotta have it now society.

ya I love it when I get to pay 5% and have to wait 3 days to send money overseas too.....

90 minutes? 0.001%? Outrage!

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 03:36:58 AM

They were also not spendable by the receiver (afaik using the reference client) until 1 confirmation. I don't really consider it sending cash unless the recipient can spend it. Wink

I have sent zero confirmations bitcoins from deposits at blockchain.info on numerous occasions. With zero fees no less. The network just ends up including both my transfer to blockchain.info and my transfer of that same money from there elsewhere in the same block (though it does take a while sometimes Grin)
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 05:26:30 AM

How well is litecoin doing these days?
Its doing very well.

up about 100% in only a few months

jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1087

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 03:32:03 PM

We need a feedback mechanism to minimize very long rounds (and less importantly, very short rounds). I have proposed this before.

Instead of collecting transaction fee, miners will use transaction fee to offset part of the mining difficulty. For example, today's difficulty is about 3,000,000 ("baseline difficulty") and block reward is 50BTC. If the total transaction fee is 0.1BTC, which is 0.2% of block reward, the miner will only need to mine the block with difficulty = 3,000,000*(1-0.002) = 2,994,000 (effective difficulty).

In the 90-minutes block, the transaction fee was 0.612BTC, which would reduce the effective difficulty and expected block discovery time by 1.22%.

This scheme will also minimize very short rounds: at the beginning of rounds which transaction fee is zero, the effective difficulty is equal to the baseline difficulty. The effective difficulty will decrease as transaction fee accumulates. Therefore, it is more difficult to mine at the beginning of rounds. This will also punish those miners who refuse to include transactions in their blocks.

The fee will contribute to the mining reward in the far future, which will slow down the depletion of the mining reward.

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 03:43:16 PM

to have a Mt Gox code you need to have at least one confirm. For me to do what you are saying is I will have to have a balance left with the bank of my BTC. It would be like a debt card not a credit card.

That will be find for most uses but I'm sure there is a case where fast will come in handy.
You can have Trustless, instant, off-the-chain Bitcoin payments. It does require you to tie up funds with a specific processor/bank; but it does not require you to have a balance, that is, the processor cannot steal or lose your coins, and if something goes wrong you get the tied-up coins back at the end of the term.

It's not perfect but I think it's powerful enough that the whole confirmation time debate is moot.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 03:51:24 PM

LTC works and is solid.

Lol

Works as well as Bitcoin.  Because it is Bitcoin, with a few tweaks to make it seem like something new for all the early adopter jonesers,
but doesn't add anything significant.  So it is as solid as solidcoin.  The fact that a scambag like Goat has taken an interest in it is excuse
enough for me to avoid it.   

Tongue
Sitarow
Legendary

Merit: 1047

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 12:47:38 AM

This is why I have always thought that Bitcoin would not ever replace other currency in its entirety. Society simply does not have the patience to wait around for their money to go through. We are a want it gotta have it now society.

Well too bad that could not apply to pre-ordered asic's Smiley
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 03:58:07 AM

We need a feedback mechanism to minimize very long rounds (and less importantly, very short rounds). I have proposed this before.

Instead of collecting transaction fee, miners will use transaction fee to offset part of the mining difficulty. For example, today's difficulty is about 3,000,000 ("baseline difficulty") and block reward is 50BTC. If the total transaction fee is 0.1BTC, which is 0.2% of block reward, the miner will only need to mine the block with difficulty = 3,000,000*(1-0.002) = 2,994,000 (effective difficulty).

In the 90-minutes block, the transaction fee was 0.612BTC, which would reduce the effective difficulty and expected block discovery time by 1.22%.

This scheme will also minimize very short rounds: at the beginning of rounds which transaction fee is zero, the effective difficulty is equal to the baseline difficulty. The effective difficulty will decrease as transaction fee accumulates. Therefore, it is more difficult to mine at the beginning of rounds. This will also punish those miners who refuse to include transactions in their blocks.

The fee will contribute to the mining reward in the far future, which will slow down the depletion of the mining reward.

… so … the miners would include transactions (of course without broadcasting these) with many Ƀs in transaction fees, just to reduce their personal difficulty. As every miner will put all his coins into such fake transactions, we would thus end up in proof of stake disguised as proof of work mining Grin Grin

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
jl2012
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 04:29:05 AM

… so … the miners would include transactions (of course without broadcasting these) with many Ƀs in transaction fees, just to reduce their personal difficulty. As every miner will put all his coins into such fake transactions, we would thus end up in proof of stake disguised as proof of work mining Grin Grin

The miners may do so but they won't get their coins back since the transaction fee will subsidize future block reward. Doing this is equivalent to reduce mining variance by receiving less reward. It is also very risky when the block becomes orphaned and the whole world will see those transactions. We may also have a limit for the amount of difficulty reduced.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 02:02:08 PM

Soon all the GPU miners will be using LTC and not BTC. Only the ASIC miners will have BTC.

Your premise that one's choice of currency is based on what one can mine, and not on what has the most support among merchants, traders, and exchanges, is questionable at best.
K1773R
Legendary

Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 02:13:14 PM

Soon all the GPU miners will be using LTC and not BTC. Only the ASIC miners will have BTC.

Your premise that one's choice of currency is based on what one can mine, and not on what has the most support among merchants, traders, and exchanges, is questionable at best.
not even talking about the fact that mining BTC with CPU/similiar gives you more reward than LTC. Well thats the market Wink
LTC is a nice idea, it just needs a place to fit.

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
jl2012
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 04:14:53 PM

Right now BTC and LTC price is based on speculation. The difficulty of LTC will go way high and price will follow. Just watch... econ 101 supply and demand...

Difficulty follows price, not vice versa.

sharky112065

Activity: 383
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 05:11:52 PM

Society simply does not have the patience to wait around for their money to go through. We are a want it gotta have it now society.

ya I love it when I get to pay 5% and have to wait 3 days to send money overseas too.....

90 minutes? 0.001%? Outrage!

You are not the norm. Most people want it now and do not care about a fee. For example; credit cards and the fee's that are charged to merchants and get passed on to product cost. Most people know about those fees and simply do not care because they got their instant gratification.

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: