Bitcoin Forum
October 18, 2017, 04:28:59 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.0.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: *  (Read 2239 times)
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 938

Enjin Coin - Smart Cryptocurrency for Gaming.

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 04:59:29 PM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Java, PHP, HTML/CSS Programmer for Hire!

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 06:25:15 PM

1. What is the difference between running default Satoshi client and one set as server, excluding solo mining?
Nothing really, just there is no GUI, and it is for programing.

2. Why value for "Estimated total blocks" on Debug window tends to be lower than "Current number of blocks", sometimes by huge number?
Cause it is estimating when the next block maybe found or how many blocks are on the network, the current number of blocks is exactly the blocks you have in your blockchain, which could be lower, or higher then the network.

3. Setting few or many nodes using addnode=IP via bitcoin.conf file helps with what exactly, and how much?
adding more nodes, just helps broadcast transactions to more nodes, so it may get more confirmation, of course the 1st one takes at least 10mins that will not change.

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
hamdi

Activity: 700

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 01:31:46 AM

is it possible to run GUI and server mode in combination?

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 01:48:51 AM

yes just in your bitcoin.conf add
Code:
server=1

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
hamdi

Activity: 700

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 02:08:33 AM

thanks!

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 07:14:09 AM

Code:
server=1

You missunderstood my question. By default client I mean one with GUI but without any additional settings. What I want to know is
what's the difference running GUI client without and one with server=1, in terms of usefulness for other nodes. In other words, do I
help network more if I run client as server, but I don't solo mine with it, or via some other miner software.

Also, what's the difference when running client with just server=1 and with all this commands:

server=1
rpcuser=username
rpcpassword=password
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1

?

Again if you don't use server=1 then you can't use RPC to commands, meaning it is really just for programming, it benefits just programmers.

Also no difference, the your just supplying the RPCuser, RPCpassword, and you don't need rpcallowip it by defaults only allows ip 127.0.0.1

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 07:38:21 AM

But it's written on many places password must be added, and must be strong even though one don't need to remember it,
in order to protect from theft, someone connecting to client or something along those lines - can't recall what exactly, LOL!

Yes of course you need to add a user name and password that is how RPC works, otherwise how would you connect, he asked how do you put it into server mode and server=1 is server mode, I can't sit here and write the entire bitcoin.it wiki here.

and the best way to protect from theft is using encryption.

Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1050

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 07:55:28 AM

Just to be clear: from the side of the P2P network there is no difference between running bitcoind, Bitcoin-Qt, or Bitcoin-Qt -server. The only thing that changes between these modes of operation is how you access the block chain and wallet data.

Each of them implements the zero-trust model a full node brings (i.e. it verifies all data received from the network, relays what is valid, and ignores what isn't). If you want a more lightweight node, look at SPV clients like MultiBit or Bitcoin Wallet for Android, which only verify the block headers, but assumes that transactions in the best chain are valid. You can go even more lightweight, by not running a network node at all, but trust all data they receive from a server, like Electrum or several other smartphone applications do.

aka sipa, core dev team

Tips and donations: 1KwDYMJMS4xq3ZEWYfdBRwYG2fHwhZsipa
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 08:12:28 AM

But it's written on many places password must be added, and must be strong even though one don't need to remember it,
in order to protect from theft, someone connecting to client or something along those lines - can't recall what exactly, LOL!

Yes of course you need to add a user name and password that is how RPC works, otherwise how would you connect

Code:
server=1

I would hope both of you would do your own research, especially if your changing conf variables, but he did just ask for server mode which is just adding server=1 will put it in server mode, and he doesn't need RPC information for the debug window to run. I didn't know that I had to write every step down, but if you are looking to do RPC then you should be smart enough to use set the RPCuser and RPCpassword.

drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 08:18:01 AM

If you don't want to use RPC's then just leave server mode off... no need to leave a window open when you want the door locked

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 08:21:59 AM

So, there are 3 modes actualy:

1. client
2. server
3. server with RPC

Right? That's new to me, since no one ever mentioned server mode where user does not need to add user and password.  Undecided

2 modes, client and server, RPC is part of the server mode

bfever

Activity: 39

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 08:26:39 PM

You missunderstood my question. By default client I mean one with GUI but without any additional settings. What I want to know is
what's the difference running GUI client without and one with server=1, in terms of usefulness for other nodes. In other words, do I
help network more if I run client as server, but I don't solo mine with it, or via some other miner software.

Also, what's the difference when running client with just server=1 and with all this commands:

server=1
rpcuser=username
rpcpassword=password
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1

?
As others indicated already above: if you add the server=1 setting, you enable the JSON-RPC interface on the client. This means that you can not only interactively (as a human user) use the client via the GUI, but that you can write some program that can communicate with the bitcoin client using this RPC interface (basically send a command to do something and/or to receive a response).
As this is potentially dangerous (you can send bitcoins with it), you can - and should - restrict access by using the rpcuser, rpcpassword and rpcallowip settings.

In terms of usefullness to other bitcoin nodes: there is no benefit at all, as other nodes only use the standard bitcoin protocol to send/receive messages from each other.

So again, don't enable the server=1 if you don't need programmatic access to your bitcoin client.

Use your freedom, use bitcoins !

Bitcoin Relational Database (in MySQL) aka The BiRD now available.
Universal Bitcoin Smartcard coming soon.

UBiCard - BiRD donations: 1UbicardpLQiAhGfEWKaV5xnKkmgzj1Ce
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 10:53:50 PM

As others indicated already above: if you add the server=1 setting, you enable the JSON-RPC interface on the client. This means that you can not only interactively (as a human user) use the client via the GUI, but that you can write some program that can communicate with the bitcoin client using this RPC interface (basically send a command to do something and/or to receive a response).
As this is potentially dangerous (you can send bitcoins with it), you can - and should - restrict access by using the rpcuser, rpcpassword and rpcallowip settings.

I understand that perfectly - nothing new to learn there. If you follow the thread closely, you'll see who created a mess of it, and how.

I said the same thing like 5 posts ago LMAO stupid people are stupid

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:11:24 PM

You should all be aware that if you need to run RPC commands, like to retrieve or import a private key you can just use the RPC console on the new Debug Window that is part of Bitcoin 0.7 without needing to start Bitcoin-Qt in server mode Wink

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 12:21:09 PM

I said the same thing like 5 posts ago LMAO stupid people are stupid

Code:
server=1

Yes of course you need to add a user name and password that is how RPC works, otherwise how would you connect

Now fuck off, faggot!

Code:
server=1

No you GTFO and STFU, server mode is server=1, but now your the guru LMAO

AWWW he deleted his rude comments

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 12:25:29 PM

I deleted because I realised you are so fucking dumb that you won't realise what mistake you did. Now fuck off!
LMAO yea ok you think that

Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1050

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 12:57:34 PM

Can you please stop arguing about whether "just adding server=1" was enough to enable to RPC server?

aka sipa, core dev team

Tips and donations: 1KwDYMJMS4xq3ZEWYfdBRwYG2fHwhZsipa
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 03:26:47 AM

Well, since no one else is reporting this, have you considered that the problem might be with your computer, and not with the bitcoin client?

p2pcoin: a USB/CD/PXE p2pool miner - 1N8ZXx2cuMzqBYSK72X4DAy1UdDbZQNPLf - todo
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2366

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 08:38:46 AM

No one gives a shit or what?

It might just be a bug? You'd have to dig deeper.

Does this happen with version you compiled from source or binary you downloaded?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
gmaxwell
Legendary
qt

Activity: 2324

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 09:17:39 PM

It's happening with all versions of binaries I've download and used by now, and with both Bitcoin and Terracoin clients. No other
software I used ever behaved that same way - some do attampt to modify other apps memory and so on, but not prior to some
user action, and not periodicaly and in persistent fashion.

Those reports make no sense at all— each process has its own address space. It's not possible to even _attempt_ to modify another process without invoking a bunch of OS calls to get access to the other processes space (of course, bitcoin has no code to do any of that). Unfortunately those reports also include no details so I have no idea what behavior its mistaking.

Are you sure you don't have some kind of infection on that system?

Bitcoin will not be compromised
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.