Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:10:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How would be better to invest 1.000.000 $ into BTC economy?  (Read 2656 times)
sega01

Activity: 391
Merit: 333

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 06:43:17 PM

I'm not quite sure if $1M USD would "fit" easily into the current BTC economy, but perhaps over time.

While mining can be quite the investment (or, now can be with the supposed ASICs coming out), I don't believe it adds much value to the Bitcoin economy, but feel free to correct me if it does. A strong economy is built off of products/services offered at a greater efficiency than they would be, else-wise. Mining Bitcoins does not feed people, transport them, or does little else other than churn out SHA256SUMs at high rates. I have nothing against people that mine, I just don't feel it's investing into the economy, as much as it is in your own wallet.

There will always be a demand for currency exchange. I would offer a healthy, marginally competitive rate on exchange between fiat, bullion, and BTC currencies. This makes Bitcoin more available, though usually does not directly benefit people much.

The biggest economic strengthening for Bitcoin is competitively priced products that people need. Sure, Bitcoin paraphenilia are cool, but they aren't life changing. I'd like to see more groceries and general goods available for Bitcoin. What about a supermarket that accepts Bitcoin and silver? Would really be something to me. Car parts for Bitcoin? What if all items on eBay could be purchased with Bitcoin?

The economy would be hugely strengethened if Bitcoin replaced high-fee brokers such as Paypal. Broker fees are like taxes. Let's say I have a dollar. Every time it passes through Paypal, something like 3.3% is taken off. And for what? Just the mere transfering of money.

So, let's say I buy an Apple over Paypal. $1 is sent, and the receiver pays the fees.
Bob the apple grower needs more water to grow another apple. He sends his 97 cents to the local water boy.
The local water boy is down to 95/94ish cents. The water boy buys a few pieces of gum with his 94 cents.
The gum man buys vegetable gum from a vegetable gum producer, for 92 cents.
The vegetable gum producer now has 90~ cents after fees. He wants to feed his child an apple. But how much does an apple cost? $1. He can't afford it.

All of these services and goods were worth about a dollar. The passing back and forth of the dollar encouraged useful product and service at each transfer. However, the same dollar became worth less and less, eventually not enough to buy an apple. This raises the cost of goods, for little benefit. Now, I'm sure the people at Paypal will eventually purchase gum, or an apple, and not be a "pure" economic waste, but it's still not nearly as efficient, in my opinion, as a broker fee-less market.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 10:09:22 AM

3. Sit on ~40k BTC wait for the ASICs to show up or not. At some point in 2013 (or even 2014) when that industry finally is mature buy ASICs at a fair price (probably less than 1/10 what they claim now).

"When the industry is finally mature", ASICs are not going to be paying for themselves in two weeks, or even 200 days. They'll approach the same average interest rate as everything else in the Bitcoin economy. So you are actually giving up on a unique opportunity by waiting for things to settle down. But if low risk is what you want, then I guess it is the right option.

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: